Bread made in breadmaker not rising the same...

susan21, Apr 7, 7:18am
I have been making bread in my panasonic breadmaker for over 10 yrs and its always risen wonderfully.A couple of yrs ago, the bread wasnt rising the same, and I found it was the Surebake yeast, so I changed to Tasti yeast.However over the last month, my bread hasnt been rising properly again....Thought Id even try using a different flour, maybe its changed.(Ive been using Pams High Grade Flour). Has anyone else been having problems?

camper18, Apr 7, 9:13am
Are you keeping your yeast in the fridge?

pickles7, Apr 7, 9:27am
I use Bread improver now, along with sure to rise yeast. you buy it at Bin Inn. I have found my bread is as good as it used to be. I will post my latest bread recipe I crafted.
I have a Panasonic as well. It will near raise the lid.
I may add another two Tbsp of water, if the flour needs it. I sort of like the dough to be sticky, almost sticking to the pan.

7 Seeded bread

2 teaspoons of flax seeds soaked in 2 Tbsp boiling water, left to cool.
I put into the bread maker
3 cups of flour
1 cup of, seven seed grain mix [pak n save]
2 Tbsp milk powder
1&1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp soft butter
1 tsp bread improver
3 tsp dried sure to rise yeast
350 mils of warm water...... extra 2 Tbsp, if needed.
It is now I put the flax seeds in.
Set the bread maker to 5 hour
Hint
If you are around when the bread is starting its last rise, tip it out and take the paddle out. When I get the time right for this I will post it. It makes it that much nicer to slice.

pickles7, Apr 7, 9:32am
bread,... Lrg white.... bread maker
4 cups of high grade premium flour, 2 Tablespoons of milk powder,....2 Tablespoons of sugar,....1 teaspoon of salt,....2 Tablespoons of butter,...2 raised teaspoons of sure bake yeast,....350 mils of warm water.. I bake this in my bread maker using the 4 hour function. I have made the 3 hour function, it just is not as nice as the 4 hour.
This used to near raise the lid, but I would and 1 more tsp sure to rise yeast ans a tsp of bread improver to this recipe now..I wouldn't be adding more water, to this recipe, too soon as it dose not have wholemeal flour that dose require more.

susan21, Apr 8, 11:21pm
Thanks pickles, you think Bread improver to be the answer.
Yes I do keep my yeast in the fridge.

kinna54, Apr 9, 5:32am
Even tho you are keeping the yeast in the fridge check the use by date on the back of the yeast jar. Yeast does go "off" quickly, not as in rotten but it loses strength.
Always use warm water in your mix, especially in the cooler weather. There have also been some bad batches of yeast around, (myself, camper 18 and others have noted it as well.) Always check the date in the supermarket when you buy it, half of the stock on the shelves is old!I also believe that the Edmonds red cap yeast has improver in it. Try the breville french loaf ( posted in another thread but happy to repost it)it is yum.
PS. I use pam's high grade flour all the time.

steveb, Apr 23, 12:05am
We've been having the same issues recently, both with hand-made and bread-maker bread. We've tried different yeasts (Surebake, Tasti and yeast without improvers) but the bread seems to rise and then fall again. The recipes are the same we've used for years and never had any previous problems. We've been using Pam's High Grade Flour too, so I suppose it's time to try another brand. We've changed the salt too but not the water, which is tank water and I'm pretty sure that's ok (it makes great beer!).