Pressure Cooker Advice Please

akl439, Apr 7, 12:31am
Just bought a secondhand 6L Fagor with no instructions.Looked at the onsite manual and am now scared to use it.Any helpful suggestions please.Obviously I have the usual fear that it's going to explode, but I am sure frequent users can offer some useful tips.TIA.

cookessentials, Apr 7, 1:03am
Yes, you can contact DKSH in Auckland and ask if they can send you a photo copy of the instructions. The are one of the best selling pressure cookers and came out heads above any others including WMF in an independent consumer survey in Australia. The contact number for DKSH is (09)4151096
You can ask for Frank McCue and tell him Pam from Cookware essentials suggested you phone him. I am surehe will be happy to photo copy the instructions for you.

fee1965, Apr 7, 1:19am
You will LOVE cooking with a Pressure Cooker - I can do a corned beef in 40mins!And it is ohhh soo tender and tasty!It is so nice to walk in the door at 5.30 and within 1 hour have a juicy,tender casserole that would normally takes 3 hours ready in 35mins!I have exploded mine twice, so am now an expert at NOT exploding.

fisher, Apr 7, 1:57am
Hahhaahahhaamake sure ALL the pressure has been relieved before opening... walls and stove will need a clean otherwise...:}

cookessentials, Apr 7, 3:10am
if you have the "Duo", it is as easy as turning the button...no tea towels and explosions with these puppies.

l-eagle, Apr 7, 3:17am
I used to always use a pressure for cooking beef tongue - followed by putting itinto a press to squeeze out the left over fat. Very tasty :-)These days I tend to use my slow cooker for stews and the microwave for corned beef - only 50 minutes & none of that steam / hissing ......The corned beef done this way is even tastier! Never see tongue around these days so my old pressure cooker and meat press have been retired.

pericles, Apr 7, 3:19am
try a boutiquebutchery, the butcher shop where my son works sell them

akl439, Apr 7, 3:40am
Thanks so much for that.

lulu239, Apr 7, 2:46pm
My husband bought me one (the same as yours) but the very sparse instructions were for other models. I contacted Australia (I think) and they sent me the instruction book for my model and a recipe book. Great service, though it would have been better if they had given the right book in the first place. I have just used it to cook my beetroot for bottling.

cookessentials, Apr 7, 7:02pm
The Fagor pressure cooker here is through the same company in Australia..DKSH.

akl439, Apr 8, 3:44am
Thanks again for your help cookessentials.I phoned Frank who was most helpful and is sending instructions.I actually found a video on Youtube showing how to use it and did lamb shanks and they turned out beautifully.Whose afraid of pressure cookers now (not me)!

grasshoppa5, Apr 8, 3:49am
We used to run ours under cold water to take the preasure off before opening, thats all I remember as I left my husband to use it lol.

grasshoppa5, Apr 8, 3:52am
and always turn the element down once steam starts as Im sure leaving on high as I have often seen by not so great cooks do, would be a risk.

cookessentials, Apr 8, 4:28am
Well done, see, i told you that there was nothing to worry about. Glad Frank could help you out.

pamellie, Apr 8, 11:06pm
I have Fagor Duo and it's fantastic much better than the old jiggle top one I used to have. I have even been cooking apples to bottle in it, just bring to pressure and then turn off, easy.