1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1&1/2 cups pumpkin, cooked, mashed & cooled
1 egg
grated rind & juice of 1 lemon

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger. Beat oil and sugar together. Add pumpkin, egg and lemon rind & juice to the oil & sugar mixture and beat well. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Turn into greased loaf tin. Bake at 180*C for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Source:
'A Taste of Pumpkin' Delicious New Zealand Recipes, by Maureen Sherry, Random House 1995, ISBN 186941 245 1

Another super cookbook for the pumpkin harvest is 'The Great Australian Pumpkin Recipe Book' by Barbara Carr, Southern Holdings 2002, ISBN 094 9089 16 8

Both this, and the New Zealand one I mentioned above have a great selection of recipes for using pumpkin - soups, savouries, salads, bread, scones, cakes, desserts (even pumpkin ice-cream!).

I won't be parting with my copies, but I'd recommend keeping an eye out for these two.

geldof, Apr 3, 4:32am
pumpkin pie
pumpkin scones.
pumpkin and spinach pasta
pumpkin salads
roast pumpkin and vege medley.
pumpkin and apricot jam.

jessie981, Apr 3, 5:29am
Pumpkin Cheese
500gr cooked drained pumpkin
Add 1 large TBSP cooked rice & mash
Add 1TBSP butter
salt & pepper
Milk or cream & 1 egg
Stir & add 1oz grated cheese.
Put in a baking dish, sprinkle with more cheese,
Cover with breadcrumbs & a knob ofbutter
Brown in a hotoven.

gavin166, Apr 3, 10:37am
Pumpkin Balls

You can use kumara too, or both.
Roast chunks of pumpkin/kumara with a roughly diced onion.
Cool, puree/mash, add dry chicken stock, whatever flavours you like (sweet chili or nutmeg or cracked pepper). Make cricket-ball sized balls, poke a gobstopper sized piece of mozzarella into the centre, seal.Flour, egg, then dredge in a mixture of commercially made dry breadcrombs/panko. Poppy seeds, black or white sesame seeds nice too.

Shallow fry.
Serve with relish.

kstar21, Apr 3, 1:02pm
Yum they sound so good but im terrible in the kitchen lol

visionspring, Apr 3, 9:07pm
Pumpkin custard

425g pureed pumpkin
4 eggs
1 Cup of sour cream
2-3 Tbl of lemon juice
1 Cup of sugar equiv. sweetener (I used organic stevia powder)
1 tsp of ground ginger
2 tsp of cinnamon
freshly ground nutmeg (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into a round cake pan or deep pie plate and bake for around 40 minutes at 350 or until a knife comes out mostly clean.

Lovely for breakfast too! I am terrible at baking anything but this was easy and came out superb - just mixed everything in a big bowl with a stick blender until it was light and frothy.

cookessentials, Apr 3, 9:37pm
My pumpkin loaves which makes tow large ones ( use two medium loaf pans)

cookessentials, Apr 3, 9:38pm
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot!! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it..

elliehen, Apr 4, 4:04am
PUMPKIN BREAD
1&1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1&1/2 cups pumpkin, cooked, mashed & cooled
1 egg
grated rind & juice of 1 lemon

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger. Beat oil and sugar together. Add pumpkin, egg and lemon rind & juice to the oil & sugar mixture and beat well. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Turn into greased loaf tin. Bake at 180*C for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Source:
'A Taste of Pumpkin' Delicious New Zealand Recipes, by Maureen Sherry, Random House 1995, ISBN 186941 245 1

Another super cookbook for the pumpkin harvest is 'The Great Australian Pumpkin Recipe Book' by Barbara Carr, Southern Holdings 2002, ISBN 094 9089 16 8

Both this, and the New Zealand one I mentioned above have a great selection of recipes for using pumpkin - soups, savouries, salads, bread, scones, cakes, desserts (even pumpkin ice-cream!).

I won't be parting with my copies, but I'd recommend keeping an eye out for these two.

jessie981, Apr 4, 5:29am
Pumpkin Cheese
500gr cooked drained pumpkin
Add 1 large TBSP cooked rice & mash
Add 1TBSP butter
salt & pepper
Milk or cream & 1 egg
Stir & add 1oz grated cheese.
Put in a baking dish, sprinkle with more cheese,
Cover with breadcrumbs & a knob of butter
Brown in a hot oven.

Pumpkin Jam
5lb pumpkin
4&1/2lb sugar
2 oranges
1 lemon
1tsp gr ginger
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2tsp citric acid
Cut pumpkin into small cubes, cover with sugar & leave overnight
Put oranges& lemon through a mincer, catching the juice
Add all to pumpkin
Boil slowly till clear
Add sugar
Approx 1/2 hr before cooking time isup, add pepper & citric acid

kstar21, Apr 4, 7:12am
awsome thankyou all will see what i can do lol

cookessentials, Apr 4, 9:38pm
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it.

stomptheyard, Apr 6, 1:40am
We have some Minikins and tonight i am going to fill them with Mince Chow Mein mixture and bake them whole in the oven, never done it before so here goes lol