When the kids come home from school dying of starv

kiwipossum, Apr 1, 6:39am
ation and ready to inhale anything they can get there wee mits on what do you swing there way?
also what do you fill the lunchboxes with
ideas please:)

tich50, Apr 1, 8:49pm
inwinteritsalwaysgoodtomakepumpkinfritters,keepwarminoventilltheygethome.iserveminewithcinnamonsugarandkidsalwaysscofftheplateinnotime.imadesomeonfridayandaskthosekidswhonevereatpumpkintotry...guesswhat?theyallhadsecondsandwantedtherecipe.

elliehen, Apr 1, 9:43pm
tich50, I've made pumpkin scones and pumpkin pie and every other pumpkin thing except fritters.Can you post your recipe please?I like the idea of the cinnamon sugar and having it as a dessert fritter rather than a savoury.

tich50, Apr 1, 11:09pm
oneofmystudentsgavemeabeautifulbigpumpkinearlierthisweekandyesterday imadesomefrittersforthemtotaste.iusedaquarterpumpkin,cutintosmallpiecesandcookeditonstovewithapinchofsalt.drainedinsieveotherwiseitstoowet.mashedpumpkin,added3eggs,about 3 tablespoonsself raisingflourandteaspoonofbakingpowder.friedinshallowoil, drainedexcessoilonpapertowel;transferontomyplatterandsprinklewithcinnamonsugar.
servewarm.theylovedit.inormallyjudgemyflour,etc. idon'taddanythingelseasiwantthepumpkintaste......ifthatmakessense.

elliehen, Apr 1, 11:15pm
Thanks tich50.I was interested in your quantities because I don't like too much flour in my fritters either, preferring to have more eggs.

Sounds delicious - I have just bought a big grey Crown pumpkin from a roadside stall, so will definitely give these a go.Suddenly, with an April chill in the air, it's the right weather too.

tich50, Apr 1, 11:44pm
putinlessflourellie.iusuallyjustjudgemyquantitiesuntiligetthepreferredbatterconsistency. iwouldsometimesaddtsp.ofb.powderorleaveitoutattimes.inormallygetnicepuffyoneswhenidousetheb.powder,lol.makingsometodayaswell.soupinslowcookeralmostdoneaswell.goshitsnotquitewinteryetandthisismythirdsaturdayinarowthati'mmakingbigpotofsoup.normallymywinterhabit.seemslikei'vestartedearlierthisyear...

kinna54, Apr 2, 3:11am
My friend's kids come in ready to devour anything that isn't tied down! After they have cleared out their lunch box *any leftovers have to get eaten*: on warmer days they are allowed 1 piece of fruit, and bread, butter and jam or peanut butter for sandwiches.
As colder days approach they are allowed to make toasted sandwiches. (They have one of the deep dish types ofmachine) They are rationed to jam fillings, or maybe a can of corn or spaghetti. They are also allowed 2 min noodles.

kiwipossum, Apr 2, 7:39am
ation and ready to inhale anything they can get there wee mits on what do you swing there way!
also what do you fill the lunchboxes with
ideas please:)

uli, Apr 2, 7:51am
You can use exactly the same recipe to make pumpkin gnocci - just roll little balls, squash with a fork and cook.

vintagekitty, Apr 2, 7:59am
After school snacks here are usually fruit, cheese & crackers, noodles, pancakes, baking, leftovers etc. Lately I have been making soup and cheese rolls

seniorbones, Apr 2, 9:22am
smoothies or milkshakes are good lots of fruit/milk/yoghurt very nutritonal and filling too

tich50, Apr 2, 9:49pm
inwinteritsalwaysgoodtomakepumpkinfritters,keepwarminoventilltheygethome.iserveminewithcinnamonsugarandkidsalwaysscofftheplateinnotime.imadesomeonfridayandaskthosekidswhonevereatpumpkintotry.guesswhat!theyallhadsecondsandwantedtherecipe.

elliehen, Apr 2, 10:43pm
tich50, I've made pumpkin scones and pumpkin pie and every other pumpkin thing except fritters.Can you post your recipe please!I like the idea of the cinnamon sugar and having it as a dessert fritter rather than a savoury.

tich50, Apr 3, 12:09am
oneofmystudentsgavemeabeautifulbigpumpkinearlierthisweekandyesterday imadesomefrittersforthemtotaste.iusedaquarterpumpkin,cutintosmallpiecesandcookeditonstovewithapinchofsalt.drainedinsieveotherwiseitstoowet.mashedpumpkin,added3eggs,about 3 tablespoonsself raisingflourandteaspoonofbakingpowder.friedinshallowoil, drainedexcessoilonpapertowel;transferontomyplatterandsprinklewithcinnamonsugar.
servewarm.theylovedit.inormallyjudgemyflour,etc. idon'taddanythingelseasiwantthepumpkintaste.ifthatmakessense.

elliehen, Apr 3, 12:15am
Thanks tich50.I was interested in your quantities because I don't like too much flour in my fritters either, preferring to have more eggs.

Sounds delicious - I have just bought a big grey Crown pumpkin from a roadside stall, so will definitely give these a go.Suddenly, with an April chill in the air, it's the right weather too.

tich50, Apr 3, 12:44am
putinlessflourellie.iusuallyjustjudgemyquantitiesuntiligetthepreferredbatterconsistency. iwouldsometimesaddtsp.ofb.powderorleaveitoutattimes.inormallygetnicepuffyoneswhenidousetheb.powder,lol.makingsometodayaswell.soupinslowcookeralmostdoneaswell.goshitsnotquitewinteryetandthisismythirdsaturdayinarowthati'mmakingbigpotofsoup.normallymywinterhabit.seemslikei'vestartedearlierthisyear.

kinna54, Apr 3, 4:11am
My friend's kids come in ready to devour anything that isn't tied down! After they have cleared out their lunch box *any leftovers have to get eaten*: on warmer days they are allowed 1 piece of fruit, and bread, butter and jam or peanut butter for sandwiches.
As colder days approach they are allowed to make toasted sandwiches. (They have one of the deep dish types ofmachine) They are rationed to jam fillings, or maybe a can of corn or spaghetti. They are also allowed 2 min noodles.

petal1955, Apr 3, 9:53am

elliehen, Apr 3, 10:03am
Thanks petal1955.South Africa sounds more like NZ in that you don't buy mushy pumpkin in cans (as you do in the USA), but cook it yourself.

elliehen, Apr 4, 10:03am
Thanks petal1955.South Africa sounds more like NZ in that you don't buy mushy pumpkin in cans (as you do in the USA), but cook it yourself.