Quince Jelly

midnight42, Mar 30, 8:22am
Any hints for making this as I have been given some but the first lot I made wouldn't set.Thanks.

jessie981, Mar 30, 9:10am
Aunt Daisy recipes
3lb peeled, cored & diced quinces
3lb apples - peeled & chopped
2 minced oranges
6lb sugar
2lb raisins
1pt vinegar
1&1/2tsp cinnamon
1tsp cloves
Put spices in piece of muslin. Combine all ingredients & boil 45 mins stirring often. Test. Remove spices. Pour while hot into sterilised jars & seal immediately.

herika, Mar 30, 7:44pm
I found I just had to boil and test it until some did set.It took a while.One batch I did took longer than the other one...

margyr, Mar 30, 10:45pm
you need to boil it for ages, it will turn a lovely red colour. If you type quince jelly in the search box just on the left in the keyword or member box and then click on the little arrow by date posted then click anytime you will find loads of recipes there for quince.

cgvl, Mar 31, 12:06am
I just made some yesterday. All I do is wipe the quinces, number doesn't matter. chop them into pieces. Into a preserving pan or very large pot. Cover with water and bring to boil, then simmer until soft and mushy.
Strain through an old tea towel, or mutton cloth or muslin. Do Not Squeeze out otherwise you will discolour the jelly.
Measure the amount of liquid you have and add 3/4 cup of sugar to each cup of liquid. Add the juice of 1-2 lemons as well. Bring it all back to the boil and keep it at a rolling boil until setting test has been reached. Stir until sugar has dissolved so it doesn't stick.
Bottle into clean, sterilised jars and cover. If it doesn't have the nice rich red you are looking for a few drops of cochineal helps.

midnight42, Mar 31, 8:22am
Any hints for making this as I have been given some but the first lot I made wouldn't set.Thanks.

herika, Mar 31, 7:44pm
I found I just had to boil and test it until some did set.It took a while.One batch I did took longer than the other one.

cgvl, Apr 1, 12:06am
I just made some yesterday. All I do is wipe the quinces, number doesn't matter. chop them into pieces. Into a preserving pan or very large pot. Cover with water and bring to boil, then simmer until soft and mushy.
Strain through an old tea towel, or mutton cloth or muslin. Do Not Squeeze out otherwise you will discolour the jelly.
Measure the amount of liquid you have and add 3/4 cup of sugar to each cup of liquid. Add the juice of 1-2 lemons as well. Bring it all back to the boil and keep it at a rolling boil until setting test has been reached. Stir until sugar has dissolved so it doesn't stick.
Bottle into clean, sterilised jars and cover. If it doesn't have the nice rich red you are looking for a few drops of cochineal helps.

macandrosie, Apr 3, 6:21am
Have you ever tried quince paste like this? Start with crusty bread,blue cheese & then a dob of quince paste & then half a walnut? Very yum!

rubyjane11, Apr 3, 6:33am
quince paste and blue cheese...agree divine

uli, Apr 3, 8:59am
Instead of jelly make jam - much nicer as it has some "body" to it:

Version1: wash quinces and remove all fluff - quarter and cut out core, chop or grate and add very little water, just enough to steam and cook them. Put through a mouli and weigh. Add the same amount of sugar and cook until set. This is a very smooth "finish".

Version 2:wash quinces and remove all fluff - quarter and cut out core, put through a mincer and then cook with the same amount of sugar until cooked and set. This is a more "rustic" finish.

Version 2 can then be made into paste by slowly reducing further, then turning the very thick paste onto coarse sugar and rolling it out to 1cm thickness, cut into shapes, roll in more sugar and dry slowly in a drier or in a cool oven or over a wood fire.

elliehen, Apr 3, 9:59am
Am about to cook this year's quince harvest.Last year, the paste was delicious (I rolled mine in slivered almonds) but took ages to reduce.I now plan to make a batch of jelly that I'll just cook for a longer time until it is ruby red and very firmly set, and use that with cheese.

macandrosie, Apr 4, 6:21am
Have you ever tried quince paste like this! Start with crusty bread,blue cheese & then a dob of quince paste & then half a walnut! Very yum!

rubyjane11, Apr 4, 6:33am
quince paste and blue cheese.agree divine

elliehen, Apr 4, 9:59am
Am about to cook this year's quince harvest.Last year, the paste was delicious (I rolled mine in slivered almonds) but took ages to reduce.I now plan to make a batch of jelly that I'll just cook for a longer time until it is ruby red and very firmly set, and use that with cheese.