is a tablespoon

angel404, Mar 11, 4:12am
bigger than a dessert spoon? just wondering coz a lot fo recipes ask for a tablespoon of such and such. as far as i know i only have dessert spoons. so whats a table spoon?

245sam, Mar 11, 4:15am
Yes angel404, a tablespoon (standard measuring or household) is bigger than a dessertspoon. A standard measuring teaspoon = 5ml, a standard measuring dessertspoon = 10ml (2 tsp) and a standard measuring tablespoon = 15ml (3 tsp or 1½ dessertspoons). A household tablespoon is bigger again than a standard measuring tablespoon.

Hope that helps. :-))

angel404, Mar 11, 4:17am
yes thanks it does! i always felt it was bigger so i always add put in a bit more than a desert spoon. thanks again

alebix, Mar 11, 8:28am
Thanks Sam, I have always wanted to know how big a dessertspoon was.

jag5, Mar 11, 8:36am
2tspns = 1 dessertspoon, 4tspns = 1 tablespoon, 2 dessertspoons = 1 tablespoon. These are what I have always worked with - learnt at school a long, long, long time ago LOL

charlieb2, Mar 11, 8:45am
Definitely worth buying a set of measuring spoons! ! lol

245sam, Mar 11, 8:54am
I'm sorry jag5, I too learnt the spoon measures at school a long, long, long, long time ago (40+ years ago actually) and the measurements you have quoted are the same as the Australian measurements because their tbsp = 20ml whereas the NZ tbsp = 15ml so again I advise that 1 NZ tsp = 5ml, 1 NZ dssp = 10ml (2 tsp), 1 NZ tbsp = 15ml (3 tsp or 1 dssp + 1 tsp or 1½ dssp). :-))

snapit, Oct 21, 5:17pm
I agree with 245sam above.
In some Australian recipe books it gives the N Z and Australian measurement comparison.
This wonderful thread has been created by members of the Trademe recipe forum and stack of --thought it was so wonderful she would hijack it.
You are most welcome to come and visit us at Trademe Community Recipe forum
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Threads. aspx
? topic=13
for other wonderful threads, and, if you are quick you will get them a minute or so before they are transferred to the stack site.