Sundried tomatoes

stormbaby, Mar 28, 3:01am
I managed to acquire a neat mesh tray on legs idea for drying tomatoes, has anyone done this? Hubby is building a pizza oven for my 50th and we are finally getting ripe tomatoes, I want to slice them and have them dried so we can pop them on pizza's out of season.

summersunnz, Mar 28, 4:20am
Bumping as I'd like to know too - I dried halved tomatoes in my oven recently - came out well though took a long time - would have a higher temp than the 50°C I used which would reduce time.

Would like to dry them in the sun - is that what you'll do?

Saw a suggestion here a while ago about drying them on baking paper on a tray in a closed-in car that's parked in the sun. Wonder if the car would smell of tomatoes afterwards!

jag5, Mar 28, 6:23am
Hmmm...temperatures are dropping now...not sure if it is hot enough to dry them outside anymore.Just try a few for a few days.....otherwise, oven or dehydrator.I have a Harvest Maid dehydrator....brilliant.Don't waste your money on a Sunbeam...only suitable for drying herbs and flowers in my opinion LOL

stormbaby, Mar 29, 12:52am
Here you go, found this brilliant site, so have answered my own question:

http://www.pickyourown.org/tomatoes_sun_dried.htm

summersunnz, Mar 29, 4:20am
Bumping as I'd like to know too - I dried halved tomatoes in my oven recently - came out well though took a long time - would have a higher temp than the 50°C I used which would reduce time.

Would like to dry them in the sun - is that what you'll do!

Saw a suggestion here a while ago about drying them on baking paper on a tray in a closed-in car that's parked in the sun. Wonder if the car would smell of tomatoes afterwards!

jag5, Mar 29, 4:27am
When done, I put into zip lock bags and store in the freezer.Take out and defrost as needed.

I learnt the hard way and had to throw heaps of them out season before last.

jag5, Mar 29, 6:23am
Hmmm.temperatures are dropping now.not sure if it is hot enough to dry them outside anymore.Just try a few for a few days.otherwise, oven or dehydrator.I have a Harvest Maid dehydrator.brilliant.Don't waste your money on a Sunbeam.only suitable for drying herbs and flowers in my opinion LOL