Got 2kgs raspberries anyone know how to make jelly

zevion, Mar 28, 12:20am
ie like blackberry jelly etc thanks

jag5, Mar 28, 12:50am
Pop berried in pot and add some water.Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour or so.Mash down...put all into a strainer bag...I use a clean old pillow case these days, suspend over a large bowl and allow to drip overnight.Do not squeeze the bag.Measure the juice, then bring to boil, add cup for cup of sugar, although I find that a bit sweet, so maybe 2/3rds is enough.Boil up until setting consistency, then jar.

Personally, I find doing jelly from raspberries a waste.I use loquats, grapes and similar for jelly...but not raspberries.

elliehen, Mar 28, 12:59am
Unles you're set on making a jelly (unintentional pun!) I agree with jag5.Raspberries are too delicious in all the other ways you can use them to waste them on jelly.Jellies are better made with tart fruits.

Why not freeze the raspberries in a single layer and then bag them as freeflow berries to store for all sort of raspberry delights during the winter - smoothies, sauces (coulis), desserts like chocolate/raspberry cakes, ice-cream toppings etc

zevion, Mar 28, 1:14am
Thanks for your replies. I've got another 10-15kg set aside for jam etc in the freezer as I have a bunch of plants in the backyard all going for it. My mum used to make pure blackberry jelly and it was the best jam/jelly I've ever tasted - so wanted to give this a go. I've got ten blackberry plants going in this year too.

elliehen, Mar 28, 1:25am
Go for it then.I've made jelly successfully from quinces, crabapples, guavas and blackcurrants.

I have a tall wooden stool that I tip upside down on the table and suspend the jelly bag with string( from one of the wooden spindles joining the legs) over a bowl.My jelly bag is an threadbare linen teatowel which is kept just for the purpose.I have heard of people using nylon tights.

jag5, Mar 28, 2:09am
I have a short broomstick which I put across the bath and hang the bag from that with the bowl underneath.Must admit, jelly is so nice.And lucky you having all this fruit.I am working on it

zevion, Mar 28, 8:59pm
Yeah - mum used to make quince and crabapple jellies too, but they were nothing compared to the blackberry stuff. Her date scones with blackberry jelly and farm cream were to die for. Literally. The cream came straight off the farm in Agee jars and was so thick a spoon would stand up in it.
Straining bags - I heard tights were good but decided to get a couple of cheesecloth mutton tubes as they were only a dollar each.

jag5, Mar 29, 12:50am
Pop berried in pot and add some water.Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour or so.Mash down.put all into a strainer bag.I use a clean old pillow case these days, suspend over a large bowl and allow to drip overnight.Do not squeeze the bag.Measure the juice, then bring to boil, add cup for cup of sugar, although I find that a bit sweet, so maybe 2/3rds is enough.Boil up until setting consistency, then jar.

Personally, I find doing jelly from raspberries a waste.I use loquats, grapes and similar for jelly.but not raspberries.

elliehen, Mar 29, 12:59am
Unles you're set on making a jelly (unintentional pun!) I agree with jag5.Raspberries are too delicious in all the other ways you can use them to waste them on jelly.Jellies are better made with tart fruits.

Why not freeze the raspberries in a single layer and then bag them as freeflow berries to store for all sort of raspberry delights during the winter - smoothies, sauces (coulis), desserts like chocolate/raspberry cakes, ice-cream toppings etc

zevion, Mar 29, 1:14am
Thanks for your replies. I've got another 10-15kg set aside for jam etc in the freezer as I have a bunch of plants in the backyard all going for it. My mum used to make pure blackberry jelly and it was the best jam/jelly I've ever tasted - so wanted to give this a go. I've got ten blackberry plants going in this year too.

elliehen, Mar 29, 1:25am
Go for it then.I've made jelly successfully from quinces, crabapples, guavas and blackcurrants.

I have a tall wooden stool that I tip upside down on the table and suspend the jelly bag with string - from one of the wooden spindles joining the legs - over a bowl.My jelly bag is an threadbare linen teatowel which is kept just for the purpose.I have heard of people using nylon tights.