Recipe for Mud Cake please.I would like to try

clivehell, Mar 27, 8:51pm
making my 1st mud cake,and would like an easy recipe for it.
Also,can I use milk chocolate instead of dark?

caro25, Mar 28, 12:32am
2 tsp instant coffee
1 1/4 c hot water
1/2 c whiskey or orange juice
175g cooking chocolate
250g butter
2 c sugar
2 c flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp van essence

In pot add coffee, hot water, whiskey(or OJ), bring to a simmer.  Add broken chocolate & butter, stir until melted.
Add sugar, stir until dissolved.  Remove from heat & cool.
In bowl put flour, baking soda & salt, make well.  Beat eggs, add to chocolate mix.  Gradually pour choc mix into flour
beating well to a smooth batter.
pour into 20"tin bake 140c for 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hrs

nova40, Mar 28, 12:34am
This one is really good and very easy and moist...

CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
2/3 Cup Cocoa
2/3 Cup Oil
1 Cup Milk
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence

1 Cup of warm black coffee with (2 tsp coffee)

Put all ingredients in bowl and beat for 2 minutes then stir in coffee and cook at 180 degrees for 45 – 1 hour depending on size of cake tin.

jimbob37, Mar 28, 1:03am
is there such a thing as mudcake without the coffee?

dollmakernz, Mar 28, 1:11am
This is the one that use all the time, it's big and you do it in a roasting dish and is so easy and delicious!
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
I ice it with a ganache, on a low heat warm 250-300ml of cream, remove from heat then with a balloon whisk break into small pieces and add a whole bar of Pams cooking chocolate and whip until everything comes together and its smooth.

jimbob37, Mar 28, 2:01am
what is the difference between a mudcake and a normal chocolate cake?

clivehell, Mar 28, 6:31am
Thanks everyone for the recipes...will have a go.

rosathemad, Mar 28, 9:19am
Mudcake is a very dense cake, almost fudgey - it doesn't rise very much - and is usually made with chocolate in the recipe, and with ingredients melted together rather than creamed butter and sugar as a normal cake has. Regular chocolate cake should rise and be lighter and less rich. :-)

clivehell, Mar 28, 8:51pm
making my 1st mud cake,and would like an easy recipe for it.
Also,can I use milk chocolate instead of dark!

caro25, Mar 29, 12:32am
2 tsp instant coffee
1 1/4 c hot water
1/2 c whiskey or orange juice
175g cooking chocolate
250g butter
2 c sugar
2 c flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp van essence

In pot add coffee, hot water, whiskey(or OJ), bring to a simmer.  Add broken chocolate & butter, stir until melted.
Add sugar, stir until dissolved.  Remove from heat & cool.
In bowl put flour, baking soda & salt, make well.  Beat eggs, add to chocolate mix.  Gradually pour choc mix into flour
beating well to a smooth batter.
pour into 20"tin bake 140c for 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hrs

caro25, Mar 29, 12:32am
no use cooking choc

nova40, Mar 29, 12:34am
This one is really good and very easy and moist.

CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
2/3 Cup Cocoa
2/3 Cup Oil
1 Cup Milk
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence

1 Cup of warm black coffee with (2 tsp coffee)

Put all ingredients in bowl and beat for 2 minutes then stir in coffee and cook at 180 degrees for 45 – 1 hour depending on size of cake tin.

jimbob37, Mar 29, 1:03am
is there such a thing as mudcake without the coffee!

dollmakernz, Mar 29, 1:11am
This is the one that use all the time, it's big and you do it in a roasting dish and is so easy and delicious!
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
I ice it with a ganache, on a low heat warm 250-300ml of cream, remove from heat then with a balloon whisk break into small pieces and add a whole bar of Pams cooking chocolate and whip until everything comes together and its smooth.

jimbob37, Mar 29, 2:01am
what is the difference between a mudcake and a normal chocolate cake!

clivehell, Mar 29, 6:31am
Thanks everyone for the recipes.will have a go.

rosathemad, Mar 29, 9:19am
Mudcake is a very dense cake, almost fudgey - it doesn't rise very much - and is usually made with chocolate in the recipe, and with ingredients melted together rather than creamed butter and sugar as a normal cake has. Regular chocolate cake should rise and be lighter and less rich. :-)

bev00, Mar 27, 10:52am
MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE. Makes a deep 30cm square. (large cake)
1.5kg dark choc buttons
1 kg butter
3/4 cup instant coffee powder dissolved in.
3&1/2 cups warm water
3 cups caster sugar
4 cups plain flour
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup of liqueur any flavur you like.
6 beaten eggs
1tsp salt.
METHOD.
melt buttons in a large Pyrex jug in the microwave, 1 minute bursts, stir well.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in the eggs
You will need a really large bowl for the mixing the rest together.
Fold all other ingredients in gradually.
Pour into a well lined tin. Bake @ 150 C for 2-3 hrs.
During the last 20mins or so, I place a folded damp T-towel over the nearly cooked cake to prevent a cracked crust to form.
Allow the cake to COMPLETELY cool, before tipping out of the tin
Ice with gnache.
Keeps well and pieces can be warmed in the microwave and served with cream or icecream.
1/2 the recipe will probably give you a 20cm cake.
WARNING. this cake does not earn the Heart Foundation tick

chicco2, Mar 27, 7:04pm
bev00, that mixture will make a 30cm round tin, Its the same quantities and recipe that I use.