Homemade cream of Tomato soup

Page 1 / 2
falconhell2002, Mar 25, 5:53am
I have just made a big pot of cream of tomato soup.I would love to give mum some but will not be seeing her till Monday.Can i put some in a plastic container and freeze it for her? TIA.

nauru, Mar 25, 6:11am
Yes, I do this when I make a batch, freeze half of it in portions for later use,It freezes OK.Tell her to give it a good whisk after thawing and before reheating over low heat or in microwave..

falconhell2002, Mar 25, 6:16am
Excellent, thank you very much.Gosh its nice, I have never made tomato soup before.Rather proud of myself actually. ; )

falconhell2002, Mar 25, 6:23am
Just another quick question.When the fresh tomatoes run out can I use tinned tomatoes?Lmao sorry unsure how tomatoes is suppose to be spelt.... Sorry.

lizab, Mar 25, 9:26am
I don't know the answer to your question, but had to let you know that your spelling is perfect lol :) I also wanted to let you know, 'well done' on your tomato soup - I'm sure your mum will love it :):) It's great when you make something you're proud of!!!

ant_sonja, Mar 25, 8:59pm
Do you mind sharing your recipe falconhell2002? My freezer is full of tomatoes from this years crop that are destined to end up as pasta sauce or soup :-)

franny8, Mar 25, 9:11pm
Yes I would love a great tomato soup recipe too.Have never had much success and often get thrown out which always makes me feel guilty.

falconhell2002, Mar 26, 12:18am
Here's the link for it.Hope it works.Me and the kids loved the soup but hubby not so much.He said it had a different taste to it not yuck but different.I normally buy very special tomato soup, so maybe i need to try another recipe that is not creamed.Anyway hope you all like it as much as what we did.

http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/cream-of-tomato-soup

ant_sonja, Mar 26, 12:32am
Thanks for the link :-)

falconhell2002, Mar 26, 12:54am
No problem

vintagekitty, Mar 26, 1:16am
That soup sounds so nice. I always want tomato soup when tomatoes are really expensive!

franny8, Mar 26, 3:18am
Thanks for the link, its now in Favorites.

nik12, Mar 26, 5:45am
That very special tomato soup is really similar to the one that my Nana used to make - but do you think I can find the recipe amoung her books?!!? NO!.
Did you leave the skins on the tomatoes?

falconhell2002, Mar 26, 5:53am
I have just made a big pot of cream of tomato soup.I would love to give mum some but will not be seeing her till Monday.Can i put some in a plastic container and freeze it for her! TIA.

nauru, Mar 26, 6:11am
Yes, I do this when I make a batch, freeze half of it in portions for later use,It freezes OK.Tell her to give it a good whisk after thawing and before reheating over low heat or in microwave.

falconhell2002, Mar 26, 6:23am
Just another quick question.When the fresh tomatoes run out can I use tinned tomatoes!Lmao sorry unsure how tomatoes is suppose to be spelt. Sorry.

fogs, Mar 26, 6:44am
I also made tomato soup this week from Alison Holst's soup book and she mentioned that if you have no fresh tomatos then tinned work just as well. It was delicious. Have also made tomato sauce today and pickled sweet peppers. Also dehydratored tomatoes and preserved in oil with feta and herbs ,along with the homemade jams made with home grown fruit my store cupboards are bulging this year

lizab, Mar 26, 9:26am
I don't know the answer to your question, but had to let you know that your spelling is perfect lol :) I also wanted to let you know, 'well done' on your tomato soup - I'm sure your mum will love it :):) It's great when you make something you're proud of!

falconhell2002, Mar 26, 10:13am
I did leave the skins on but strained it after using stick blender on it.That took forever, was so thick it was hard to get it through the sieve.I think I do things the hard way but I don't know how else to do it.

suzanna, Mar 26, 11:09am
Mmmm great recipe. Thought I would add my two cents worth...I never throw the scooped out seeds away but mix them into labne or cottage or cream cheese to spread on toast, sliced tomatoes on top a grind of black pepper and salt and one of my favourite comfort foods. But then may be a little odd as I like the rhind of camembert, brie etc whereas many of my friends cut it off. One friend buys brie in the large 'logs' (not sure of the correct term) and cuts off a good cm from each end before she serves it and tosses it away. I am often the lucky recipient. Anyone else into 'rhind'?

nik12, Mar 26, 11:18am
falconhell, following that recipe I would have kept the skins on as well, but I've made tomato soup a few times and I have always taken them off.Yep I've tried sieving it as well - what a pain in the butt that is lol.
It's not to major to take the skins off, put a few at at time into boiling water, then put them in cold water and the skin should just peel off - if not put them back in hot for a bit.
Suzanna - I totally love tomatoes, but just the seeds mixed into things? Isn't that really bitter?What is labne - and no, I like cambembert on a cracker with pate, but not just the rind lol

ant_sonja, Mar 26, 8:59pm
Do you mind sharing your recipe falconhell2002! My freezer is full of tomatoes from this years crop that are destined to end up as pasta sauce or soup :-)

falconhell2002, Mar 27, 12:18am
Here's the link for it.Hope it works.Me and the kids loved the soup but hubby not so much.He said it had a different taste to it not yuck but different.I normally buy very special tomato soup, so maybe i need to try another recipe that is not creamed.Anyway hope you all like it as much as what we did.

http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/cream-of-tomato-soup

nik12, Mar 27, 5:45am
That very special tomato soup is really similar to the one that my Nana used to make - but do you think I can find the recipe amoung her books!!! NO!.
Did you leave the skins on the tomatoes!

fogs, Mar 27, 6:44am
I also made tomato soup this week from Alison Holst's soup book and she mentioned that if you have no fresh tomatos then tinned work just as well. It was delicious. Have also made tomato sauce today and pickled sweet peppers. Also dehydratored tomatoes and preserved in oil with feta and herbs ,along with the homemade jams made with home grown fruit my store cupboards are bulging this year