Leeks...besides soup!

Page 1 / 2
tekeflapz, Mar 25, 4:31am
ok now inspire me,i have lamb chops and mashed spud so far,what can i do with leeks? i dont have much in the cupboards,was too cold and wet to take bub out to do shopping,do leeks and white sauce go together? lol!

jag5, Mar 25, 4:42am
Leeks and white sauce...yummy.

fleur59, Mar 25, 4:47am
yummy

lythande1, Mar 25, 5:27am
White sauce is gross. Like gravy without meat scrapings.
Cheese sauce. Parsley sauce yes.
Easy Puff Pastry Leek Tarts recipe

Makes 8 appetizer-size servings.
Ingredients:

All-purpose flour, for work surface
1 sheet store-bought puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 leeks (white and light-green parts), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, rinsed well
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
½ cup soft goat cheese
Preparation Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Prepare crust: On a lightly floured work surface, roll pastry to a 10-by-14-inch rectangle. Halve lengthwise into two 5-by-14-inch rectangles. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With a paring knife, lightly score each rectangle 1/2 inch from edges, creating a border; prick pastry inside border all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, then bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, prepare leeks: In a large skillet, heat butter over medium. Add leeks and thyme; season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook until lightly browned and softened, 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.

4. Spread goat cheese evenly over prepared crust; spoon leeks over goat cheese. Cut tarts into wedges, and serve.
Leek and Mushroom Risotto recipe
Ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 leeks, cleaned, green light green part finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped button mushrooms
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup Arborio rice
¼ cup white wine
3 cups chicken broth
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation Instructions:

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, onions, and garlic; cook until softened and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook until softened and liquid has cooked out, 4 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and stir.

2. Add rice to pot and stir to coat; cook 3 minutes, stirring. Add wine and cook until liquid evaporates, 6 to 7 minutes.

3. Add broth ¼ cup at a time, and bring heat to a gentle simmer. Allow each increment of liquid to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally. The entire process will take up to 45 minutes. When rice is sticky, smooth, and slightly al dente, remove from heat. Add cheese, stir to mix, and serve immediately.

bluemeany, Mar 25, 5:27am
Finely slice, and soften in butter. Add seasoning and a little garlic if you like. Goes well as a simple side dish to any meat.

lythande1, Mar 25, 5:29am
And:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Leek&searchType=recipes
Salmon & leek parcels
Creamy ham, leek & mushroom spaghetti
Chicken & leek pie
Potato & leek gratin
etc, the list goes on and on

shop-a-holic, Mar 25, 5:31am
I use leeks in a risotto with shallots, garlic, lemon zest and capers, half bottle of riesling and 1 litre of vegetable stock; parmesan and butter folded in at the end. Takes 45mins to make by hand though... enough time to drink the other half of the bottle :-)

tekeflapz, Mar 26, 4:31am
ok now inspire me,i have lamb chops and mashed spud so far,what can i do with leeks! i dont have much in the cupboards,was too cold and wet to take bub out to do shopping,do leeks and white sauce go together! lol!

jag5, Mar 26, 4:42am
Leeks and white sauce.yummy.

lythande1, Mar 26, 5:29am
And:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do!keywords=Leek&searchType=recipes
Salmon & leek parcels
Creamy ham, leek & mushroom spaghetti
Chicken & leek pie
Potato & leek gratin
etc, the list goes on and on

shop-a-holic, Mar 26, 5:31am
I use leeks in a risotto with shallots, garlic, lemon zest and capers, half bottle of riesling and 1 litre of vegetable stock; parmesan and butter folded in at the end. Takes 45mins to make by hand though. enough time to drink the other half of the bottle :-)

chez23, Mar 26, 11:57pm
Leeks and cheese sauce . . . .yum

diana96, Mar 27, 2:45am
you can use them like onions if you have heaps to get rid of.

davidt4, Mar 27, 3:29am
Beef, Leek and Vinegar Casserole

3 large leeks in thick slices
2 tab olive oil
700g stewing beef in large chunks
2 tab flour
1 tsp salt
pepper
4 tab balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Brown beef in oil, add leeks and stir 5 min.Add flour, salt and pepper, stir 5 min.

Add vinegar and stir to deglaze, gradually add 500 ml water.Cover and simmer about 2 hours until the meat is very tender.Add more water if necessary.

davidt4, Mar 27, 3:30am
Feta and Caramelised Leek Filo Börek (Turkish)
makes 24
3 leeks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp sugar
10g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
200ml chicken stock
bay leaf
200g feta. crumbled
50g fresh oregano, finely chopped
8 sheets filo pastry
melted butter for brushing
2 tbsp mixture of poppy and black sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
 Creamy Feta and Caramelised Leek Filo Börek Photograph: Jonathan Lovekin
Sauté the leeks, garlic and sugar in the butter and olive oil for 4–5 minutes, constantly stirring. Add the stock and bay leaf, and season. Cook until reduced to a mushy consistency. Take off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the feta cheese and oregano.
Working with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, spread it out and cut lengthwise into thirds. Keep the pastry covered with a damp tea towel while you're not using it. Each strip will make one börek.
Brush the pastry with the melted butter and place a tablespoon of filling across the corner of one end. Fold this corner up and over to form a triangle, then over again, and so on until you have a triangular pastry parcel. Repeat this process with the rest of the pastry and filling. Arrange the böreks on a tray. Brush them with more melted butter and sprinkle with the seeds. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

esther-anne, Mar 27, 3:43am
I use leeks whenever I am making a stew or a casserole, along with plenty of onions.Right now I have a stew simmering slowly - it will have a couple of leeks added later along with parsnips carrots chopped parsley potatoes and lovely fluffy dumplings.Delicious, simple heartwarming food-the only good thing about the approaching autimn and winter methinks!!!

And yes, gorgeous with a cheese and parsley sauce-and I simply will have to try david's recipe, I'm positively drooling.

rainrain1, Mar 27, 5:38am
chop and fry quickly in butter, salt and pepper to taste

davidt4, Mar 28, 3:30am
Feta and Caramelised Leek Filo Börek (Turkish)
makes 24
3 leeks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp sugar
10g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
200ml chicken stock
bay leaf
200g feta. crumbled
50g fresh oregano, finely chopped
8 sheets filo pastry
melted butter for brushing
2 tbsp mixture of poppy and black sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
 Creamy Feta and Caramelised Leek Filo Börek Photograph: Jonathan Lovekin
Sauté the leeks, garlic and sugar in the butter and olive oil for 4–5 minutes, constantly stirring. Add the stock and bay leaf, and season. Cook until reduced to a mushy consistency. Take off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the feta cheese and oregano.
Working with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, spread it out and cut lengthwise into thirds. Keep the pastry covered with a damp tea towel while you're not using it. Each strip will make one börek.
Brush the pastry with the melted butter and place a tablespoon of filling across the corner of one end. Fold this corner up and over to form a triangle, then over again, and so on until you have a triangular pastry parcel. Repeat this process with the rest of the pastry and filling. Arrange the böreks on a tray. Brush them with more melted butter and sprinkle with the seeds. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

esther-anne, Mar 28, 3:43am
I use leeks whenever I am making a stew or a casserole, along with plenty of onions.Right now I have a stew simmering slowly - it will have a couple of leeks added later along with parsnips carrots chopped parsley potatoes and lovely fluffy dumplings.Delicious, simple heartwarming food-the only good thing about the approaching autimn and winter methinks!

And yes, gorgeous with a cheese and parsley sauce-and I simply will have to try david's recipe, I'm positively drooling.

bev00, Mar 26, 9:40am
mmmmmmmmm leeks.I have a nice leeks and rice dish recipe will post when i find it.

gazzzzz, Mar 27, 4:26am
We make a vege bake with leeks, brocoli, coli & sometimes carrots half cooked place in a casserole dish, pour over cheese sauce, add grated cheese on top & bake., till the veges are cooked & the cheese on top is a golden colour, a real tasty dish :)

ferita, Mar 27, 10:58pm
Suateed leek mixed through the mash would be nice.
Leeks can be used in any dish really they are also tasty as a side dish

poce, Mar 27, 11:21pm
Instead of making white sauce with milk try using the water leeks have cooked in.

vomo2, Mar 28, 5:01am
Chopped really thin, braise in a little water in a fry pan and then add cream, salt and pepper. Delicious!

bridget107, Mar 28, 7:46am
I've used leeks in a frittata before! Pretty yummy and what a quick meal. This is the recipe! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/do-you-like-frittata/