Yoghurt made from coconut milk

Page 1 / 3
janny3, Mar 4, 8:47am
Bump for Mel ;)

red-fmb, Mar 23, 10:35pm
I am sitting here in Brisbane eating a tub of youghurt made from coconut milk., bought from the local superette.
Does anyone now if this available in NZ? or have a recipe?
It is really really delicious and I would like some more when I get home to NZ next week.
*imagines ambrosia made with it.... yum!*

kirinesha, Mar 24, 1:01am
There are a pile of options on Google. I'm going to try making some this weekend, love the idea.

davidt4, Mar 24, 2:10am
Do report Kirinesha.I can't quite imagine it working, as coconut milk is so completely different from milk in composition, but fingers crossed!It will be a real breakthrough if it does work.

kirinesha, Mar 24, 3:02am
They do use starter yoghurt etc although I see some use gelatine too which I'm going to avoid. The one I'll try will probably be this one: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

I have made yoghurt from scratch before so will be interested to see the results of this. Some of the other recipes don't add honey etc either and that's also one of my preferences.

red-fmb, Mar 24, 5:21am
The coconut yoghurt is thicker than normal yoghurt .... I had never heard of it before but now I am hooked on it!
It is called *Coyo* coconut milk yoghurt, dairy free, soy free, lactose free and no added sugar.
http://www.coyo.com.au/products/yoghurt/item/coyo-yoghurt.html

red-fmb, Mar 24, 10:35pm
I am sitting here in Brisbane eating a tub of youghurt made from coconut milk., bought from the local superette.
Does anyone now if this available in NZ! or have a recipe!
It is really really delicious and I would like some more when I get home to NZ next week.
*imagines ambrosia made with it. yum!*

kirinesha, Mar 25, 1:01am
There are a pile of options on Google. I'm going to try making some this weekend, love the idea.

davidt4, Mar 25, 2:10am
Do report Kirinesha.I can't quite imagine it working, as coconut milk is so completely different from milk in composition, but fingers crossed!It will be a real breakthrough if it does work.

kirinesha, Mar 25, 3:02am
They do use starter yoghurt etc although I see some use gelatine too which I'm going to avoid. The one I'll try will probably be this one: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

I have made yoghurt from scratch before so will be interested to see the results of this. Some of the other recipes don't add honey etc either and that's also one of my preferences.

red-fmb, Mar 25, 5:21am
The coconut yoghurt is thicker than normal yoghurt . I had never heard of it before but now I am hooked on it!
It is called *Coyo* coconut milk yoghurt, dairy free, soy free, lactose free and no added sugar.
http://www.coyo.com.au/products/yoghurt/item/coyo-yoghurt.html
ingredients in case anyone is interested: Organic cocnut milk,starch (tapioca,pectin440)Xytirol, probioctic cultures Bifidus.and some other stuff I cannot make out .writing is too small.

red-fmb, Mar 28, 6:33am
anybody made any yet?

bedazzledjewels, Mar 28, 6:52am
Recipe just listed on the low carb dark site - or it will be soon!

uli, Mar 28, 8:28am
... of which bedazzledjewels is not allowed to give a link (TM doesn't like low carb by the looks)- so go and google away :)

elliehen, Mar 28, 8:44am
:))))

kirinesha, Mar 29, 3:28am
Yes, I made it and am very happy with the result. I used the simplest recipe and used my EasiYo container to "incubate" it! As well as just eating it I made a berry smoothie with it this morning, it's really very nice.

Thanks for mentioning the product, I hadn't heard of it before and am very pleased to be able to make it on demand now.

red-fmb, Mar 29, 6:33am
anybody made any yet!

red-fmb, Mar 29, 7:03am
I was amazed to find it too, as I had never heard of it before and have found out now that is has only been on the markethere in Aust since it's launch last Dec.
Could you please post your reipe if you dont mind as I would love to make this when I get back to NZ this week... thanks

guitarman525, Mar 29, 7:34am
Hi There
Just went to site on post no 9 and went to latest recipes
Perfect for those who are dairy free, vegan or just looking for a lower carb option to traditional yoghurt. After reading piles of complex recipes I went back to basics - and it proved that the easiest way is often the best. You'll need a EasiYo yoghurt maker, a Thermos or a nice warm place like a hot water cupboard, or a yoghurt making machine. Makes 800mls.
Ingredients

* 2 x 400ml cans of full fat coconut milk
* 2T natural unflavoured yoghurt with live cultures (I used Cyclops organic)*
* 1t sugar or honey

Method

* Heat the coconut milk to boiling point and turn off.
* Let it cool to blood temperature (insert a CLEAN finger into the liquid, once it's neither hot or cold on your skin it's blood temperature).
* Remove 1/2 cup of the coconut milk and stir the yoghurt into it. Stir back into the main lot of coconut milk.
* Stir in the sugar.
* Pour into the EasiYo container.
* Add hot (not boiling) water to your EasiYo container and add the container. Seal. Or place in your Thermos, yoghurt maker or covered bowl in a warm place.
* Leave for 8-12 hours plus until desired amount of thickness and sourness is achieved (this is a matter of personal taste, leave longer for a stronger taste - taste test it).
* Refrigerate.
* Save 1/4 cup to start your next batch!

Notes

* * You can also use soy yoghurt as a starter, and some shops sell yoghurt starter (dairy and soy). It must be a live product though, no flavouring and no sweetener added.
* Coconut milk doesn't contain lactose which the bacteria process to make yoghurt, so you have to add sugar or honey so the bacteria have food to eat. The sugar is eaten up by the bacteria in the yoghurt making process.
* Be careful when adding the starter yoghurt - it can't be added at a higher temperature as it kills the bacteria (they are sensitive wee souls).
* For the initial batch with dairy yoghurt starter allow 1.7 carbs per 100g, for subsequent batches made with coconut yoghurt starter allow 1.2 carbs per 100g.
enjoy!

red-fmb, Mar 29, 7:54am
Brilliant!!!!!! thanks...

uli, Mar 29, 8:28am
. of which bedazzledjewels is not allowed to give a link (TM doesn't like low carb by the looks)- so go and google away :)

kirinesha, Mar 30, 3:28am
Yes, I made it and am very happy with the result. I used the simplest recipe and used my EasiYo container to "incubate" it! As well as just eating it I made a berry smoothie with it this morning, it's really very nice.

Thanks for mentioning the product, I hadn't heard of it before and am very pleased to be able to make it on demand now.

red-fmb, Mar 30, 7:03am
I was amazed to find it too, as I had never heard of it before and have found out now that is has only been on the markethere in Aust since it's launch last Dec.
Could you please post your reipe if you dont mind as I would love to make this when I get back to NZ this week. thanks

guitarman525, Mar 30, 7:34am
Hi There
Just went to site on post no 9 and went to latest recipes
Perfect for those who are dairy free, vegan or just looking for a lower carb option to traditional yoghurt. After reading piles of complex recipes I went back to basics - and it proved that the easiest way is often the best. You'll need a EasiYo yoghurt maker, a Thermos or a nice warm place like a hot water cupboard, or a yoghurt making machine. Makes 800mls.
Ingredients

* 2 x 400ml cans of full fat coconut milk
* 2T natural unflavoured yoghurt with live cultures (I used Cyclops organic)*
* 1t sugar or honey

Method

* Heat the coconut milk to boiling point and turn off.
* Let it cool to blood temperature (insert a CLEAN finger into the liquid, once it's neither hot or cold on your skin it's blood temperature).
* Remove 1/2 cup of the coconut milk and stir the yoghurt into it. Stir back into the main lot of coconut milk.
* Stir in the sugar.
* Pour into the EasiYo container.
* Add hot (not boiling) water to your EasiYo container and add the container. Seal. Or place in your Thermos, yoghurt maker or covered bowl in a warm place.
* Leave for 8-12 hours plus until desired amount of thickness and sourness is achieved (this is a matter of personal taste, leave longer for a stronger taste - taste test it).
* Refrigerate.
* Save 1/4 cup to start your next batch!

Notes

* * You can also use soy yoghurt as a starter, and some shops sell yoghurt starter (dairy and soy). It must be a live product though, no flavouring and no sweetener added.
* Coconut milk doesn't contain lactose which the bacteria process to make yoghurt, so you have to add sugar or honey so the bacteria have food to eat. The sugar is eaten up by the bacteria in the yoghurt making process.
* Be careful when adding the starter yoghurt - it can't be added at a higher temperature as it kills the bacteria (they are sensitive wee souls).
* For the initial batch with dairy yoghurt starter allow 1.7 carbs per 100g, for subsequent batches made with coconut yoghurt starter allow 1.2 carbs per 100g.
enjoy!

red-fmb, Mar 30, 7:54am
Brilliant! thanks.