Freezing pumpkin

angie117, Mar 22, 11:34pm
x1
Can you just skin and cut up a pumpkin and freeze in pieces?

lizab, Mar 23, 1:10am
yes as long as you blanch it first :)

gardie, Mar 23, 5:42am
Previous threads have said to just cut and freeze - no blanching.I haven't tried it myself - we love it too much but there were quite a few posts saying this.I don't blanch many veggies I freeze - not even beans and you'd never know when they were cooked, that they had been frozen.I actually think the blanching gives them that 'frozen' texture.

pickles7, Mar 23, 6:07am
I leave the skin on, cut to size. Place in a good plastic bag in meal lots. Microwave 2 minutes, take out tie the bag tightly and pop into cold water. This shrink wraps the plastic, leaving no air space. I do all my veges this way. Also with pumpkin I like to mash some, and freeze for a veg, or soup.
I have never and wouldn't freeze veges without blanching or microwaving them first.

uli, Mar 23, 6:42am
Hmmm - why would you if it keeps lovely by itself on a shelf?
If you feel like freezing though - then why not cook what you want to cook (soup, stir-fry, cubed in coconut cream etc) then freeze?

minn1, Mar 23, 10:06am
I have read about freezing pumpkin here too and like you uli, asked myself 'why' when it can be stored. I can see the sense of it if the pumpkin is starting to spoil in a small area and the rest is good. I didn't realise you could freeze it, thought it would go mushy,

gardie, Mar 23, 5:48pm
In the other thread, someone mentioned theydefrost it then roast it.I guess for small families that aren't big pumpkin eaters, it saves spoiling it.And some pumpkins that you grow aren't suitable to keep - they have small marks that lead to decay setting in.

joybells2, Mar 23, 6:53pm
I cut up and freeze, then bake from frozen.Have never blanched it first.good for baking and soups etc.

donna23, Mar 23, 9:20pm
Last year I chopped, peeled, washed & dried,bagged, and froze several pumpkins and when I went to use them they had an unpleasant taste. Tried cooking them from frozen, thawed, roasted & souped but the yuk taste remained!! I didn't blanch them though, so don't know if that would have made a difference.

angie117, Mar 23, 11:34pm
Can you just skin and cut up a pumpkin and freeze in pieces!

gardie, Mar 24, 5:42am
Previous threads have said to just cut and freeze - no blanching.I haven't tried it myself - we love it too much but there were quite a few posts saying this.I don't blanch many veggies I freeze - not even beans and you'd never know when they were cooked, that they had been frozen.I actually think the blanching gives them that 'frozen' texture.

pickles7, Mar 24, 6:07am
I leave the skin on, cut to size. Place in a good plastic bag in meal lots. Microwave 2 minutes, take out tie the bag tightly and pop into cold water. This shrink wraps the plastic, leaving no air space. I do all my veges this way. Also with pumpkin I like to mash some, and freeze for a veg, or soup.
I have never and wouldn't freeze veges without blanching or microwaving them first.

uli, Mar 24, 6:42am
Hmmm - why would you if it keeps lovely by itself on a shelf!
If you feel like freezing though - then why not cook what you want to cook (soup, stir-fry, cubed in coconut cream etc) then freeze!

minn1, Mar 24, 10:06am
I have read about freezing pumpkin here too and like you uli, asked myself 'why' when it can be stored. I can see the sense of it if the pumpkin is starting to spoil in a small area and the rest is good. I didn't realise you could freeze it, thought it would go mushy,

gardie, Mar 24, 5:48pm
In the other thread, someone mentioned theydefrost it then roast it.I guess for small families that aren't big pumpkin eaters, it saves spoiling it.And some pumpkins that you grow aren't suitable to keep - they have small marks that lead to decay setting in.

donna23, Mar 24, 9:20pm
Last year I chopped, peeled, washed & dried,bagged, and froze several pumpkins and when I went to use them they had an unpleasant taste. Tried cooking them from frozen, thawed, roasted & souped but the yuk taste remained! I didn't blanch them though, so don't know if that would have made a difference.