Whats your recipes for dumplings in a stew?

cng4, Mar 22, 3:52am
have one that uses suet, is there any that don't use it?

jaydan1, Mar 22, 4:02am
All I use is flour,baking powder,salt and milk.

lindylambchops1, Mar 22, 4:05am
Put fresh herbs in your dumplings...delicious!

fifie, Mar 22, 4:18am
Self raising flour, pinch salt, milk to mix, chopped fresh herbs, whipped up and dolloped into the stew to cook. Lovely on a cold winters night.

fisher, Mar 22, 4:23am
Dumplings
11/2 cups flour..1 tsp baking powder..pinch salt..50g butte..rmilk and water to mix...
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
Rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with milk and water..
Drop spoonfuls on boiling stew and cook 10 mins with lid off and then 10 mins with lid on saucepan or casserole dish until dumplings are fluffy..
Variations:
You can add a crumbled beef oxo cube or chicken oxo cube depending on the dish you are making...
Alternatively you can add a 1tsp of mixed herbs ~ a variety of herbs ~ or some fine chopped parsley for that seafood chowder...
Dumplings can be put into a variety of dishes and made with various additions to enhance those dishes..
Bacon ~ Chicken ~ Chilli ~ Surimi ...etc etc
Can also be made with Corn Meal added.

cng4, Mar 22, 4:27am
Thanks for that! they sound lovely!

lilyfield, Mar 22, 4:45am
just anormal scone dough

suie1, Mar 22, 5:02am
And lots of parsley yummy

lizab, Mar 22, 5:12am
my mum used to make lovely dumplings in a stew. This was in the UK tho and we could buy shredded suet. I don't think I've seen it in NZ supermarkets - maybe I've not been looking properly?? Is that why you're looking for an alternative recipe cng4?

davidt4, Mar 22, 5:23am
Shreddo is the NZ proprietary name for shredded suet .Most supermarkets have it, often with the baking ingredients.

245sam, Mar 22, 5:28am
lizab, shredded suet has been available here in NZ for many many years and it still is, under the brand name Shreddo - usually found on the supermarket shelves near to the oils, etc. in a margarine-like tub.:-))

bisloy, Mar 22, 6:24am
Some strong cheese is nice too - feta, blue, aorangi - in bits to give them a bit of a kick. Plain cheese is good too.

cng4, Mar 23, 3:52am
have one that uses suet, is there any that don't use it!

lindylambchops1, Mar 23, 4:05am
Put fresh herbs in your dumplings.delicious!

fisher, Mar 23, 4:23am
Dumplings
11/2 cups flour.1 tsp baking powder.pinch salt.50g butte.rmilk and water to mix.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
Rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with milk and water.
Drop spoonfuls on boiling stew and cook 10 mins with lid off and then 10 mins with lid on saucepan or casserole dish until dumplings are fluffy.
Variations:
You can add a crumbled beef oxo cube or chicken oxo cube depending on the dish you are making.
Alternatively you can add a 1tsp of mixed herbs ~ a variety of herbs ~ or some fine chopped parsley for that seafood chowder.
Dumplings can be put into a variety of dishes and made with various additions to enhance those dishes.
Bacon ~ Chicken ~ Chilli ~ Surimi .etc etc
Can also be made with Corn Meal added.

lizab, Mar 23, 5:12am
my mum used to make lovely dumplings in a stew. This was in the UK tho and we could buy shredded suet. I don't think I've seen it in NZ supermarkets - maybe I've not been looking properly! Is that why you're looking for an alternative recipe cng4!

245sam, Mar 23, 5:28am
lizab, shredded suet has been available here in NZ for many many years and it still is, under the brand name Shreddo - usually found on the supermarket shelves near to the oils, etc. in a margarine-like tub - at Woolworths $6.63 for 275g .:-))