Easter eggs

sam1523, Mar 21, 7:48pm
would love a recipe for the old icing easter eggs which were popular in the 60s??? thought Id make some for the grandchildren but cant find recipe-thanks.

lulu239, Mar 21, 8:04pm
I Googled "Icing Easter Eggs" and there seems to be lots of recipes. I remember those well from my childhood. Good luck.

elliehen, Mar 21, 8:28pm
Pretty to look at but very sickly to eat ;)

sam1523, Mar 21, 9:00pm
Thanks for that I had googled them and they didnt quite read like the old ones-from memory they werent that sickly sweet but that could just be a failing memory!!!!!!

valentino, Mar 21, 9:38pm
One could suggest to try a smaller sample of a marshmallow recipe but add icing sugar (perhaps some cornflour as well to keep the sweetness level right)sufficient enough to get the texture one could be looking for.

May be a trial and error thing but it is a way of getting something close to number one post thoughts.

Once one gets the right mixture then just go for it.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

cookiebarrel, Mar 22, 12:03am
Are those the ones made out of hardish white icing, think it was a kind of fondant icing or maybe pastillage like, hollow and were decorated with royal icing?Have a friend who can not have chocolate and I make these for her instead.

caro25, Mar 22, 12:08am
beat egg white till stiff then add icing sugar till very firm and able to be pipedi think its called royal icing you use it round the bottom of wedding cakes to pipe stars hope this helps i am trying to find egg shape things to do them on as they dont sell leggs pantyhose any more that came in the egg shapes

elliehen, Mar 22, 12:13am
How big??What about the 'china egg' you put in the hens' nest to encourage them to lay.

caro25, Mar 22, 12:16am
i was looking for bigger i thought the pav eggs would be great but not big enough as i want to fill them with goodies as well

cookiebarrel, Mar 22, 12:41am
caro25, how about using a balloon.Wash, dry, blow up, very, very lightly oil and then pipe over with the royal icing, let set and deflate balloon.I use a clip to hold the end so no air escapes then I don't have to do the risky popping bit to release it, just let the air out slowly.Great to use with chocolate as well, as shown on Nestles greatest home baker.

caro25, Mar 22, 3:20am
great will try that thanks

sam1523, Mar 30, 9:10am
Thanks for all the replies-have been doingsome experimental eggs and decided it is just royal icing BUt the destinctive smell and taste I remember is ascetic acid which is added to harden icing-have made the eggs and they are great-lets hope the grandkids love them.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 30, 10:17pm
Bumping for another Easter.

kinna54, Mar 31, 2:00am
Well done sam1523!. Have encouraged this nana to have a go!

greerg, Mar 31, 5:55am
I could make them once - I went to a class.They were royal icing (with acetic acid not lemon juice) piped onto half egg-shaped plaster of paris moulds.When they had dried hard you put the two together and iced over the join in a contract colour.I have no idea where the moulds are now but they were available from cake decorating shops.

sam1523, Mar 21, 7:48pm
would love a recipe for the old icing easter eggs which were popular in the 60s! thought Id make some for the grandchildren but cant find recipe-thanks.

sam1523, Mar 21, 9:00pm
Thanks for that I had googled them and they didnt quite read like the old ones-from memory they werent that sickly sweet but that could just be a failing memory!

valentino, Mar 21, 9:38pm
One could suggest to try a smaller sample of a marshmallow recipe but add icing sugar (perhaps some cornflour as well to keep the sweetness level right)sufficient enough to get the texture one could be looking for.

May be a trial and error thing but it is a way of getting something close to number one post thoughts.

Once one gets the right mixture then just go for it.

Hopes this helps.

Editing to add; sometimes if one boils or simmers marshmallow mixture for a longer period of time than originally noted will harden up the end marshmallow texture, addition of some corn syrup also gives a firmer texture. This, I have not yet tried, but thoughts are noted elsewhere.

Cheers.

cookiebarrel, Mar 22, 12:03am
Are those the ones made out of hardish white icing, think it was a kind of fondant icing or maybe pastillage like, hollow and were decorated with royal icing!Have a friend who can not have chocolate and I make these for her instead.

elliehen, Mar 22, 12:13am
How big!What about the 'china egg' you put in the hens' nest to encourage them to lay.

cookiebarrel, Mar 22, 12:41am
caro25, how about using a balloon.Wash, dry, blow up, very, very lightly oil and then pipe over with the royal icing, let set and deflate balloon.I use a clip to hold the end so no air escapes then I don't have to do the risky popping bit to release it, just let the air out slowly.Great to use with chocolate as well, as shown on Nestles greatest home baker.

valentino, Mar 30, 7:18am
Re-reading this thread reminds of the Coconut Ice recipe using Highlander condenced milk method, same recipe but without the coconut and colouring will give the desired result, a liitle sampling and correcting on balance of firmness may need attention but why not give it a try.

Then shape into eggs and coated in chocolate. Hmmmm, still thinking but this will work.

Cheers.

gilligee, Mar 30, 7:40am
My neighbour is making Easter eggs by using a tray of flour and pressing a dessert spoon into it and using that for her marshmallow mould. Then the resultdipping into melted chocolate. Thought that was a great idea.

uli, Mar 30, 8:30am
bump for Easter :)