Strawberry Jam has gone mouldy, anyone know why?

goodness46, Mar 21, 6:49am
Made it 6 weeks ago, checked it today and found all jars have spots of mould on them, made it as per recipe and sealed the lids, does anyone have any tips on what has gone wrong, or is it a hard jam to keep. Thanks

jessie981, Mar 21, 6:52am
Did you boil rapidly approx 20 mins? I'dput back in suacepan, bring to boil gently & give it another 10 - 15mins cooking.

goodness46, Mar 21, 6:55am
Yes I did boil rapidly, not sure it was for 20 mins tho, but did do the jam test thing, Ive tipped it all out now in the scrap bucket for compost bin in the morning. It tasted funny anyway so not sure I would of liked to eat re-boiled knowing it had had mould on it, thanks for your reply

cgvl, Mar 21, 7:57am
possible causes, were your jars washed in hot soapy water, rinsed then put into the oven to sterilise before you filled with jam? If not then that could be your reason why.
Another which is what happens here, pantry is in wrong place in kitchen and gets quite warm at times and if it also happens to be muggy this appears to aid mould growth.
My jams etc are no longer kept in the pantry but in another cupboard on the oposite side of the room with no problems. Just found a jar of Peach jam which we are currently eating labelled 2006 and its fine, but the jam in the main pantry commercially made is starting to grow mould.

korbo, Mar 21, 8:20am
yes, i have also had the strawberry jam go mouldy. my theory is that the growers put them in the chiller, then they absorb cold air/wet, and thats what makes the jam mouldy. I boil mine till it sets in the saucer well, so it cant be that.I also like cgvl keep my jams and pickles in another cupboard away from the kitchen.It is so annoying when this happens. I shouldnt say this, but I NEVER had a mould problem many many years ago, when first started preserving.
Scientists out there, what is causing this...?????

greerg, Mar 21, 8:32am
I think moulds must always have occurred sometimes Korbo because I can remember my mother saying that jam fruit picked when it is not dry leads to mouldy jam - the practice of keeping them in the chiller may replicate this effect.Also I think that reducing the sugar to fruit ratio as many people do these days predisposes jams to mould if there are mould spores about.

korbo, Mar 21, 8:38am
YES greerg, i remember my mum saying that too, especially with strawberries, thats why i always buy mine when i know we have had no rain, but now believe it is because of being in the chiller.

jag5, Mar 21, 8:55am
I make my strawberry jam from frozen berries....no problems at all.I think temperature does have a bearing....I too keep my preserves in a cooler spot.

goodness46, Mar 21, 8:11pm
Thanks all for your ideas re the mould, I did wash jars and sterilise them. The strawberries were freshly picked ones. So my only thoughts are that its where I have the jars stored which is in my pantry and the back of it is on the sunny side of the wall and when you open the doors you always feel a wooff of warm air. Nothing else ever goes off and all preserves are kept in there. I do recall once before the same thing happening. Have read some other tips and they say best thing to do is to frezze it and take it out as you want so will try that next time. Thanks

pickles7, Mar 21, 9:46pm
Maybe you skimped on the sugar.

marks6, Mar 21, 10:54pm
It is all to do with sealing properly.... you must full Jam right to top of sterlised jar. and seal when HOT... I know as my Mum has a Jam and chutney Business

goodness46, Mar 22, 4:17am
Thanks Pickles7 and marks6, however I didnt skimp on the sugar I did it weight for weight, I did scrape the mould off but I thought I could taste the mould so biffed it out, yes and I used self sealing jars, ones that pop when cooled.
Marks6: do you mean fill the jam to the top so there is no gap for air or mould to grow and so that the lid touches and sits on the jam? and yes I did seal when hot, thanks for your tips. Cheers

jessie981, Mar 22, 6:52am
Did you boil rapidly approx 20 mins! I'dput back in suacepan, bring to boil gently & give it another 10 - 15mins cooking.

cgvl, Mar 22, 7:57am
possible causes, were your jars washed in hot soapy water, rinsed then put into the oven to sterilise before you filled with jam! If not then that could be your reason why.
Another which is what happens here, pantry is in wrong place in kitchen and gets quite warm at times and if it also happens to be muggy this appears to aid mould growth.
My jams etc are no longer kept in the pantry but in another cupboard on the oposite side of the room with no problems. Just found a jar of Peach jam which we are currently eating labelled 2006 and its fine, but the jam in the main pantry commercially made is starting to grow mould.

korbo, Mar 22, 8:20am
yes, i have also had the strawberry jam go mouldy. my theory is that the growers put them in the chiller, then they absorb cold air/wet, and thats what makes the jam mouldy. I boil mine till it sets in the saucer well, so it cant be that.I also like cgvl keep my jams and pickles in another cupboard away from the kitchen.It is so annoying when this happens. I shouldnt say this, but I NEVER had a mould problem many many years ago, when first started preserving.
Scientists out there, what is causing this.!

jag5, Mar 22, 8:55am
I make my strawberry jam from frozen berries.no problems at all.I think temperature does have a bearing.I too keep my preserves in a cooler spot.

pickles7, Mar 22, 9:46pm
Maybe you skimped on the sugar.
I have not had that problem, with freshly made jam. On the odd accasion Ifound a jar of older jam, with mold on top. I would scrape it off and use it just the same. I use self sealing jars now and don't bottle the jam, untill it reaches 220 deg F

marks6, Mar 22, 10:54pm
It is all to do with sealing properly. you must full Jam right to top of sterlised jar. and seal when HOT. I know as my Mum has a Jam and chutney Business

goodness46, Mar 23, 4:17am
Thanks Pickles7 and marks6, however I didnt skimp on the sugar I did it weight for weight, I did scrape the mould off but I thought I could taste the mould so biffed it out, yes and I used self sealing jars, ones that pop when cooled.
Marks6: do you mean fill the jam to the top so there is no gap for air or mould to grow and so that the lid touches and sits on the jam! and yes I did seal when hot, thanks for your tips. Cheers