175gr short or flaky pastry
1kg steak
1 - 2 sheep kidneys
1 onion
1TBSP flour
seasoning
1& 1/2c boiling water
1 tsp beef stock or 1 Oxo cube
Remove fat from steak & skin from kidneys. Cut meat into small pieces & roll in seasoned flour.
Brown meat & sliced onion & drain off any fat.
Add Oxo cube or beek stock dissolved in boiling water & simmer 1& 1/2 hours.
Leave until cold. Put in a pie or casserole dishvadding only a little of the gravy.
Cover with pastry, leaving a hole in the centre
Bake until golden brown @ 215c 15 - 20 mins

fee1965, Mar 21, 8:13am
Never use sheep kidney, this is designed for frying only.Ox kidney is the best for slow cooking and most tasty.Here is my recipe for the yummiest steak and kidney pie, and i am english so i should know how to cook one!

1kg Chuck steak (cubed)
1 large onion chopped
1 ox kidney cut into cubes like the chuck steak
flour
2 beef oxo's
water
1 glass red wine (i use merlot or cab sav)
salt n pepper
sprig of fresh thyme (optional)

1. Saute onions in a little oil for about 3 mins on high - put in slow cooker or casserole dish.
2. Dredge beef in flour and fry in batches - meat should sizzle and brown a bit on each side.
3. Add a bit more oil to the pan.Saute on high the kidneys, season well.
4. Deglaze (rinse out) the pan with the wine and add to the casserole.
5. Crumble in the oxos and add water - about 1 1/2 cups if cooking in oven, 1/2 cup if slow cooker.Throw in thyme 1 hour before end of cooking.Thicken in necessary.When cold, lay in a pie dish and put a lid of short crust pastry on top.

jessie981, Mar 21, 8:30am
Only difference between sheep & ox kidney is, the urine that pases through an Ox is stronger.

fee1965, Mar 21, 8:31am
ewwww, is that why they have more flaovour when slow cooked???Love fried sheeps kidneys.

jessie981, Mar 21, 8:52am
Sure is. Never eaten kidneys after being told this!

otterhound, Mar 21, 9:27am
I just love my steak and kidney "pie" topped with good old-fashioned dumplings (I use the Edmonds book recipe) instead of pastry,Just beautifull!!!!!!!

lythande1, Mar 21, 7:06pm
I always use sheep kidney.
And I add 1tbsp tomato paste,Whatever cheap red wine I have. And a splash of Lea and Perrins sauce too. And no oxo anything, proper stock.

annekh, Mar 22, 12:03am
Hmm thanks for that!! lol

dezzie, Mar 22, 1:50am
lol I'm not sure thats right about the urine is ox kidney being stronger, cattle drink a lot more than sheep, therefore it'd be more diluted I'd think, I've never seen a sheep have a drink, even when they have a trough,,you'd think you'd see one drinking at some stage.
Sheep definitely smell more "pee'y" than cattle do.

annekh, Mar 22, 2:26am
Hi, does anyone have a really nice recipe for this please!TIA

fee1965, Mar 22, 8:13am
Never use sheep kidney, this is designed for frying only.Ox kidney is the best for slow cooking and most tasty.Here is my recipe for the yummiest steak and kidney pie, and i am english so i should know how to cook one!

1kg Chuck steak (cubed)
1 large onion chopped
1 ox kidney cut into cubes like the chuck steak
flour
2 beef oxo's
water
1 glass red wine (i use merlot or cab sav)
salt n pepper
sprig of fresh thyme (optional)

1. Saute onions in a little oil for about 3 mins on high - put in slow cooker or casserole dish.
2. Dredge beef in flour and fry in batches - meat should sizzle and brown a bit on each side.
3. Add a bit more oil to the pan.Saute on high the kidneys, season well.
4. Deglaze (rinse out) the pan with the wine and add to the casserole.
5. Crumble in the oxos and add water - about 1 1/2 cups if cooking in oven, 1/2 cup if slow cooker.Throw in thyme 1 hour before end of cooking.Thicken in necessary.When cold, lay in a pie dish and put a lid of short crust pastry on top.

fee1965, Mar 22, 8:31am
ewwww, is that why they have more flaovour when slow cooked!Love fried sheeps kidneys.

otterhound, Mar 22, 9:27am
I just love my steak and kidney "pie" topped with good old-fashioned dumplings (I use the Edmonds book recipe) instead of pastry,Just beautifull!

annekh, Mar 23, 12:03am
Hmm thanks for that! lol

dezzie, Mar 23, 1:50am
lol I'm not sure thats right about the urine is ox kidney being stronger, cattle drink a lot more than sheep, therefore it'd be more diluted I'd think, I've never seen a sheep have a drink, even when they have a trough,,you'd think you'd see one drinking at some stage.
Sheep definitely smell more "pee'y" than cattle do.