Ginger beer Bug

elaine118, Mar 21, 1:11am
Does anyone have a recipe for the old fashioned ginger beer bug

shelley39, Mar 21, 2:37am
Google "How to make ginger beer bug"There are a few different ways.do you want the one that you keep feeding and split it into 3 and give 2 away.I think they might be caled friendship bug.

cookiebarrel, Mar 21, 1:23pm
Elaine118, this is the recipe I am using, goes way back in the family recipe book.

Homemade Ginger Beer.....makes about 8 litres.
Plant:1 cup of Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Half a cup of Lemon juice
1 litre Cold water
6 - 8 sultanas

Combine above ingredients (I use a preserving jar) leave for 3 days.Pour away half of liquid (do not disturb sediment)
Feed for 7 days1 teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar

To make Ginger Beer...
In a large container or clean bucket dissolve:-
1 kilo of Sugar in 1 litre of boiling water...
Add 6 litres cold water and one cup of Lemon juice.Strain the top part of your ginger beer plant through a piece of cheesecloth or similar, add this liquid to your liquid in the bucket. Throw away sultanas.Stir well.Bottle, store in a dark, cool place for 1 week, then drink and enjoy.We use the 1.5 soft drink bottles, well washed and have never yet had any trouble with them exploding or bursting.They start off quite pressable when first filled and get tighter as the ginger beer gets closer to it's drinking time.
To keep Ginger Beer plant alive....
Halve the sediment, put into clean jar.Add 2 cups of cold water and feed with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger daily for 7 days.You can have 2 plants going if needed, by putting one half of the sediment in one jar and half in another.

ngutunuibill, Mar 21, 7:09pm
How do I print off the recipe only please?

dbab, Mar 21, 8:45pm
Highlight it, then right click 'copy'. Open your wordprocessor programme. Right click on "paste" and you should have it.

vmare, Mar 21, 8:45pm
Copy and paste to a word document

millna, Mar 22, 5:25am
mmmmmmmmmmm

cookiebarrel, Mar 22, 1:23pm
Elaine118, this is the recipe I am using, goes way back in the family recipe book.

Homemade Ginger Beer.makes about 8 litres.
Plant:1 cup of Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Half a cup of Lemon juice
1 litre Cold water
6 - 8 sultanas

Combine above ingredients (I use a preserving jar) leave for 3 days.Pour away half of liquid (do not disturb sediment)
Feed for 7 days1 teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar

To make Ginger Beer.
In a large container or clean bucket dissolve:-
1 kilo of Sugar in 1 litre of boiling water.
Add 6 litres cold water and one cup of Lemon juice.Strain the top part of your ginger beer plant through a piece of cheesecloth or similar, add this liquid to your liquid in the bucket. Throw away sultanas.Stir well.Bottle, store in a dark, cool place for 1 week, then drink and enjoy.We use the 1.5 soft drink bottles, well washed and have never yet had any trouble with them exploding or bursting.They start off quite pressable when first filled and get tighter as the ginger beer gets closer to it's drinking time.
To keep Ginger Beer plant alive.
Halve the sediment, put into clean jar.Add 2 cups of cold water and feed with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger daily for 7 days.You can have 2 plants going if needed, by putting one half of the sediment in one jar and half in another.

ngutunuibill, Mar 22, 7:09pm
How do I print off the recipe only please!

dbab, Mar 22, 8:45pm
Highlight it, then right click 'copy'. Open your wordprocessor programme. Right click on "paste" and you should have it.

vmare, Mar 22, 8:45pm
Beat me