Not quite tasting right

samsnan, Mar 10, 1:37am
I made the Cauliflower and Pineapple pickle from Digby Laws book. It had white vinegar in it. Apart from looking rather anaemic (I did end up adding some tumeric for colour) it tastes as though it is missing something. Made it exactly to the recipe. I thought about boiling it up again and perhaps add some more sugar to it. It only had 2tblspns in it which did not seem very much. Any suggestions?

245sam, Mar 10, 2:13am
samsnan, did you use sweetened or unsweetened pineapple? I'm guessing that the recipe may have been written originally when pineapple in syrup was the more commonly stocked item on store shelves and the sweetness of the pineapple could well be why there is only 2 tbsp sugar in the recipe. If you used the unsweetened pineapple some extra added sugar may help give your pickle that "missing something".
Another couple of items that IMO would influence the flavour of the finished pickle would be the curry powder and the mustard - was your curry powder a mild, medium or hot one and no offence intended, but was it and the mustard fresh i. e. recent purchases or have you had them in your pantry for a while?

Hope those thoughts help. :-))

samsnan, Oct 17, 6:01am
245sam I used medium curry only a couple of months old and the mustard was the dry colmans powder. The pineapple was in syrup. I make quite alot of different pickles but this one was a first. Have never had a problem with them before. I did wonder about the white vinegar also.