Homemade grape juice recipe?

sit1, Mar 20, 7:11am
Anyone made homemade grape juice. I have a huge amount of homegrown grapes ( white and deeppurple), I've made grape jelly jam but still have an impossible amount of grapes to get through and thought grapejuice might be worth a try. thanks

jag5, Mar 20, 7:20am
Just found the following on here from previous postings re grapes:

Put into a pot cover with water.Boil well, mash with the potato masher, put through sieve and sweeten to taste with honey, /sugar/ sucryl/ I bottle mine and seal. Then serve with half juice and half lemonade.Very popular in our family.

rayna1 (516 )

sit1, Mar 20, 7:24am
Thanks for that, I'm not sure whether to add sugar or not, might try without sugar first and then mix with lemonade if it needs sweetening up.

katalin2, Mar 20, 7:54am
juliwen has a really easy recipe which is delicious. Sorry have recently shifted house and recipes still in boxes- if she sees this I am sure she will post it for you.

245sam, Mar 20, 7:57am
Here, from Trademe Cooks, is juliewn's recipe.....

" For Christmas Drinks.. non-alcoholic Grape Juice..
and for juice made with passionfruit, red and black currants, and berries too: Place some preserving jars in the oven at 50°C - I use the pop-top jars from jam, pasta sauce etc.. - if you don't have many, these are inexpensive at Opp shops - check that the undersides of the lids are not rusty when buying. Place the pop-top lids in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer to sterilise them. Wash the grapes and leave in a colander to dry a little.Remove the grapes from the stems, and place them in a bowl. Bring to the boil some syrup - 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water.. times the quantity you want. Stir often to dissolve the sugar. When that is boiling and the sugar is dissolved, remove the jars, a few at a time, from the oven and place on a wooden or similar surface (thick newspaper works fine too) so they won't break going straight onto a cold surface. Quickly fill each jar to 1/4 full with grapes. Carefully pour over the syrup, a little in each jar at a time, to completely fill the jars right to the top. Place the pop-top lids on and screw tight. Wipe the outside of the jar and set aside to cool. As they cool, the pop-top lids will pop down to seal the jar. Wash the jars when cold. Over the next couple of weeks,
the colour and flavour of the grapes will seep into the syrup, making lovely grape juice. This is delicious chilled - pour some into a glass and top up with lemonade.. It's great used like this, with added ice, for a refreshing party punch.. Leave the grapes in, as they taste good too.. You can also use this for passionfruit, berries, red or black currants, etc..etc.. Berries are just coming into season now.. you could have berry juice for Christmas.. yum!posted by juliewn":-))

nails6, Mar 20, 11:55pm
If you live near Auckland city or on the Shore, I would be happy to buy a good amount off you.Because of my daughters high health needs we have been buying Albany Surprise grapes in large amounts however they disappear very quickly.

sit1, Mar 21, 7:11am
Anyone made homemade grape juice. I have a huge amount of homegrown grapes ( white and deeppurple), I've made grape jelly jam but still have an impossible amount of grapes to get through and thought grapejuice might be worth a try. thanks

sit1, Mar 21, 7:24am
Thanks for that, I'm not sure whether to add sugar or not, might try without sugar first and then mix with lemonade if it needs sweetening up.

jag5, Mar 21, 7:44am
Picked most of ours today....wonderful things.I have had them on the boil....made the juice tonight, will do the Jelly tomorrow.So wonderful doing this sort of thing.Love it.

245sam, Mar 21, 7:57am
Here, from Trademe Cooks, is juliewn's recipe.

" For Christmas Drinks. non-alcoholic Grape Juice.
and for juice made with passionfruit, red and black currants, and berries too: Place some preserving jars in the oven at 50°C - I use the pop-top jars from jam, pasta sauce etc. - if you don't have many, these are inexpensive at Opp shops - check that the undersides of the lids are not rusty when buying. Place the pop-top lids in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer to sterilise them. Wash the grapes and leave in a colander to dry a little.Remove the grapes from the stems, and place them in a bowl. Bring to the boil some syrup - 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water. times the quantity you want. Stir often to dissolve the sugar. When that is boiling and the sugar is dissolved, remove the jars, a few at a time, from the oven and place on a wooden or similar surface (thick newspaper works fine too) so they won't break going straight onto a cold surface. Quickly fill each jar to 1/4 full with grapes. Carefully pour over the syrup, a little in each jar at a time, to completely fill the jars right to the top. Place the pop-top lids on and screw tight. Wipe the outside of the jar and set aside to cool. As they cool, the pop-top lids will pop down to seal the jar. Wash the jars when cold. Over the next couple of weeks,
the colour and flavour of the grapes will seep into the syrup, making lovely grape juice. This is delicious chilled - pour some into a glass and top up with lemonade. It's great used like this, with added ice, for a refreshing party punch. Leave the grapes in, as they taste good too. You can also use this for passionfruit, berries, red or black currants, etc.etc. Berries are just coming into season now. you could have berry juice for Christmas. yum!posted by juliewn":-))

jag5, Mar 22, 7:44am
Picked most of ours today.wonderful things.I have had them on the boil.made the juice tonight, will do the Jelly tomorrow.So wonderful doing this sort of thing.Love it.