Pear Recipes, any ideas?

sit1, Mar 20, 3:11am
I have jsut pcked 7 buckets of pears off our tree, last year we got just 5 pears in total! I think the difference is now we have a neighbour one street over with a bee hive, Yay for bees in the city!Now I need some ways to use up my pears, I don't have very many large jars for bottling, so I'm keen on ideas other than just bottled pears. Thanks

jessie981, Mar 20, 4:23am
Pickled Pears (Aunt Daisy)
Peel 2lb pears & cut into quarters. Make a syrup of 1 pint vinegar, 12 cloves, 120z sugar, 1tsp cinnamon.
Boil 10 mins, add pears & simmer till tender.
Remove carefully, drain & put in hot jars.
Quickly boil syrup till thick. When cold, pour over fruit. Screw down. Store in a cold place. Fruit must be covered with syrup.

lindylambchops1, Mar 20, 4:26am
We love stewed pears (with or without skin on) served with peanut butter chocolate sauce for dessert!

kinna54, Mar 20, 4:40am
If you don't have many jars to bottle them, just stew them and freeze them. I use the stewed fruit for crumbles, pear and ginger sponge, upside down chocolate pear pudding,pear tartin (just like the apple variety but using pears, cinnamon and ginger) caramelised pears are awesome, spicy pear sauce to serve with pork.
They are a very versatile fruit.

sit1, Mar 20, 5:19am
Aww thanks guys, those should keep me busy for a bit, I still have loads of home grown grapes to use up and today I just noticed the Guavas have started falling from the tree too.!

kinna54, Mar 20, 9:53am
OOh can I live at your place lol. Hmmmm Guava icecream.....

lx4000, Mar 20, 9:55am
Apple Crumble Slice
1 1/2c self raising flour,
1 1/2c coconut,
1/2c caster sugar,
185gm melted butter,
1 egg, 1 tsp cinnamon,
1 x 425gm can pie apple well drained.
In large bowl combine flour, coconut, sugar and cinnamon.
Mix in melted butter & egg.
Press half the mix into a lined slice pan.
Cover the base with apple.
Crumble remaining mix over top.
Bake @ 180°C for 35-40mins until golden.

Use pears instead:)

lx4000, Mar 20, 9:58am
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves

2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!!

Enjoy :)

use pears instead :)

sit1, Mar 21, 3:11am
I have jsut pcked 7 buckets of pears off our tree, last year we got just 5 pears in total! I think the difference is now we have a neighbour one street over with a bee hive, Yay for bees in the city!Now I need some ways to use up my pears, I don't have very many large jars for bottling, so I'm keen on ideas other than just bottled pears. Thanks

kinna54, Mar 21, 4:40am
If you don't have many jars to bottle them, just stew them and freeze them. I use the stewed fruit for crumbles, pear and ginger sponge, upside down chocolate pear pudding,pear tartin (just like the apple variety but using pears, cinnamon and ginger) caramelised pears are awesome, spicy pear sauce to serve with pork.
They are a very versatile fruit.

kinna54, Mar 21, 9:53am
OOh can I live at your place lol. Hmmmm Guava icecream.

lx4000, Mar 21, 9:58am
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves

2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!

Enjoy :)

use pears instead :)