9 pumpkins!!..what can I make to freeze best soup?

seniorbones, Mar 19, 8:22pm
we have 9 pumpkins grown on our vines one of the stalks broke off so thought I have better use now rather than store, what can I make that will freeze ok, if I made soup I suppose I would leave the cream out before freezing? any other ideas would be welcome please and a recipe for soup that I could freeze, tia

kiwibubbles, Mar 19, 8:30pm
i just boil my pumpkin in water with a couple cubes of chicken oxo, one onion chopped up. i also add a couple of carrots and one small kumara if you have it. Salt and pepper and a tiny bit of curry powder if you like a bit of heat. Boil until pumpkin is tender then blend up. Once its cool pour into containers or ziplock bags and pop into freezer.

lx4000, Mar 19, 8:56pm
chop and freeze for soups later on!!

fifie, Mar 19, 9:17pm
Try PG"s roast pumpkin and garlic soup its just the best, great to freeze. Here's what i make heaps of every year for winter.
Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Soup
Microwave a whole pumpkin for 15mins cool and cut it into chunks ( makes it easier to chop) put into a roasting dish with heaps ofgarlic which you have zapped for 20-30 secs easier to peel them and roast till cooked. Pre fry about 6 rashers bacon and onions. Put in food processer with1 teaspoon curry powder, pre cooked pumpkin skin cut off and garlic, add chicken stock to thin down to right thickness about 2 litres per pumpkinblend till smooth, season with S/P if necessary Do in batches. Cool and freeze. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of parsley if you like.. (If making big batchesmake stock out of chicken carcasses boiled, then you have plenty and just freeze whats left.)

lindylambchops1, Mar 19, 11:49pm
Wow we only managed to grow one pumpkin this year :(& I have already 'souped' it!;)Congratulations! on growing 9!!!!

toadfish, Mar 19, 11:54pm
I just made this today.... its delicious and from the NZ Womans Weekly site

Curried pumpkin soup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1kg pumpkin, coarsely chopped with skin and seeds removed
6 cups liquid vegetable or chicken stock
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup cream (I didn't have any so used about 3 good tablespoons of sour cream)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve (didn't have any but would have been nice)

1. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes to soften. Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add tomato paste, pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
3. Purée the mixture in a blender, then return to the pan to reheat. Stir in lemon juice, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls scattered with coriander.

mber2, Mar 20, 12:04am
I just cut my pumpkin into portions leaving the skin on and freeze until needed

toadfish, Mar 20, 12:08am
I had a massive pumpkin given to me...
This morning I have made
a double batch of my Olfavourite recipe - took 1kg as had carrots & Potatos in it as well
a single batch Curried Pumpkin soup -took a 1 kg as well
and i have frozen what was left (co-incidently another kilo) in cubes to make soup another time.. as I had had enough of pumpklin soup today.

mber2, Mar 20, 12:25am
you can peel if you want before freezing but I leave the skin on so if I want I can roast as well.
Dont blanch before freezing as they go mushy

seniorbones, Mar 20, 3:51am
They are self sowen too, used our compost and they popped up in the garden, transplanted one into a tyre I was keeping for potatoes! just used compost instead of soil and we got 6 from that plant and left one in the garden which produced 3, I tell hubby that you are only supposed to leave 3 on each plant and then they will grow bigger but he does not listen and wont cut any off! but they are all a good size so what do I know. Next year they are all in tyres I hate them in my garden they sprawl everywhere.

seniorbones, Mar 20, 3:55am
I will try this one as well as the other but I think if I was freezing it I would leave the cream out until ready to eat, my coriander has self seeded all over the herb garden and also growing amongst the grass.

seniorbones, Mar 20, 8:22pm
we have 9 pumpkins grown on our vines one of the stalks broke off so thought I have better use now rather than store, what can I make that will freeze ok, if I made soup I suppose I would leave the cream out before freezing! any other ideas would be welcome please and a recipe for soup that I could freeze, tia

lx4000, Mar 20, 8:56pm
chop and freeze for soups later on!

fifie, Mar 20, 9:17pm
Try PG"s roast pumpkin and garlic soup its just the best, great to freeze. Here's what i make heaps of every year for winter.
Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Soup
Microwave a whole pumpkin for 15mins cool and cut it into chunks ( makes it easier to chop) put into a roasting dish with heaps ofgarlic which you have zapped for 20-30 secs easier to peel them and roast till cooked. Pre fry about 6 rashers bacon and onions. Put in food processer with1 teaspoon curry powder, pre cooked pumpkin skin cut off and garlic, add chicken stock to thin down to right thickness about 2 litres per pumpkinblend till smooth, season with S/P if necessary Do in batches. Cool and freeze. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of parsley if you like. (If making big batchesmake stock out of chicken carcasses boiled, then you have plenty and just freeze whats left.)

lindylambchops1, Mar 20, 11:49pm
Wow we only managed to grow one pumpkin this year :(& I have already 'souped' it!;)Congratulations! on growing 9!

toadfish, Mar 20, 11:54pm
I just made this today. its delicious and from the NZ Womans Weekly site

Curried pumpkin soup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1kg pumpkin, coarsely chopped with skin and seeds removed
6 cups liquid vegetable or chicken stock
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup cream (I didn't have any so used about 3 good tablespoons of sour cream)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve (didn't have any but would have been nice)

1. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes to soften. Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add tomato paste, pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
3. Purée the mixture in a blender, then return to the pan to reheat. Stir in lemon juice, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls scattered with coriander.

toadfish, Mar 21, 12:08am
I had a massive pumpkin given to me.
This morning I have made
a double batch of my Olfavourite recipe - took 1kg as had carrots & Potatos in it as well
a single batch Curried Pumpkin soup -took a 1 kg as well
and i have frozen what was left (co-incidently another kilo) in cubes to make soup another time. as I had had enough of pumpkin soup today.

seniorbones, Mar 21, 3:55am
I will try this one as well as the other but I think if I was freezing it I would leave the cream out until ready to eat, my coriander has self seeded all over the herb garden and also growing amongst the grass.