Silicone or non-stick muffin tray, Which is better

Page 1 / 2
playfair, Mar 19, 7:13am
I want to purchase some new muffin tray. I've always used non-stick muffin tray and used muffin liners.

What are peoples' experiences with silicone muffin trays? Are they worth the $? Or should I stick with non-stick ones? I'm scared of taking the silicon muffin trays out from the oven since they are so floppy.

Comments and advise please. Thanks

sumstyle, Mar 19, 7:25am
I use individual silicon muffin liners and I pop them into my muffin tray, which purported to be non-stick but never was.I really like em.

May I also say, that my muffins *do* brown on the sides and bottoms, and some will say that they steam the batter, rather than it crisping into a nice crust, I don't find them soggy.

kuaka, Mar 19, 8:09am
I've got silicone muffin trays and find them great, but you do need to put them on an ordinary oven tray to slide them into the oven, or else they sag and the mix starts to run.So I just pop them onto an ordinary oven tray, slide it into the oven, and then withdraw the oven tray leaving the silicone muffin tray on the oven shelf.When they are cooked, sometimes I slide the ordinary oven tray under the muffin tray to remove them, sometimes, I just grab the muffin tray and remove it.Once the muffins are cooked, the sag doesn't matter so much.Never have a problem removing the muffins, and they cook beautifully.

chicco2, Mar 19, 6:09pm
I too use silicone trays. Oven tray on the bench. muffin trays on the oven tray and paper liners in the muffin trays. I certainly dont remove the oven trays until the cakes are cooked, I remove tray and muffin tray at the same time. I dont know why you would need to remove the oven tray at the beginning. I am keen to know.

kuaka, Mar 19, 7:24pm
chicco - I honestly don't know either, just always done it that way and it never really occurred to me to leave the oven tray in the oven.The first time I used the silicone tray and tried to lift it off the bench to put it in the oven, it started to sag so I thought I had better slide the ordinary oven tray under it, I put it in the oven and slid the ordinary tray out.It worked, so I've just always done that.Maybe I will leave the ordinary tray in the oven next time and see if there's any difference.

jakelou, Mar 19, 7:31pm
Do you need to oil/butter the silicone trays?

olwen, Mar 19, 7:35pm
I tried making yorkshire puddings in silicon trays and wasn't that happy.Metal is better for yorksire pudding.You do need to lightly grease silicon especialliy when it is new.

kuaka, Mar 19, 8:09pm
I didn't grease my silicone muffin trays and the muffins came out real easy, just tipped the tray over onto the cooling rack and they all fell out.No probs whatsoever.

greerg, Mar 20, 1:45am
I bought some Circulon ones a while ago and they are fantastic.Wish I'd had them in the days of mass muffin production when the kids were home.Even the rich shortcrust pastry I make doesn't need greasing first in these.Muffins just fall out.

kinna54, Mar 20, 5:00am
I have both silicon and non stick. The silicone can be a pain to wash. The only thing I find with hands that don't work is that the silicone can bend on me, and tend to be harder to handle. You definitely need a tray under them

gardie, Mar 20, 5:51am
Farmers sell a brand of silicon muffin tins (as does Jo Seagar - see website) that have a metal top so they are not floppy.I would never have anything else - especially when it comes to mini muffins.They pop out so easily - just give them a tap from the bottom.Known as Flexipro.

playfair, Mar 20, 7:13am
I want to purchase some new muffin tray. I've always used non-stick muffin tray and used muffin liners.

What are peoples' experiences with silicone muffin trays! Are they worth the $! Or should I stick with non-stick ones! I'm scared of taking the silicon muffin trays out from the oven since they are so floppy.

Comments and advise please. Thanks

sumstyle, Mar 20, 7:25am
I use individual silicon muffin liners and I pop them into my muffin tray, which purported to be non-stick but never was.I really like em.

May I also say, that my muffins *do* brown on the sides and bottoms, and some will say that they steam the batter, rather than it crisping into a nice crust, I don't find them soggy.

hare1, Mar 20, 7:59am
I use silicone and find theyre great.I use the spray on oil lightly on them and out they pop.

kuaka, Mar 20, 8:09am
I've got silicone muffin trays and find them great, but you do need to put them on an ordinary oven tray to slide them into the oven, or else they sag and the mix starts to run.So I just pop them onto an ordinary oven tray, slide it into the oven, and then withdraw the oven tray leaving the silicone muffin tray on the oven shelf.When they are cooked, sometimes I slide the ordinary oven tray under the muffin tray to remove them, sometimes, I just grab the muffin tray and remove it.Once the muffins are cooked, the sag doesn't matter so much.Never have a problem removing the muffins, and they cook beautifully.

kuaka, Mar 20, 9:47am
and I've just baked two dozen muffins - the first dozen I baked in the silicone tray which I left on the ordinary baking tray, the second dozen (same mix) I didn't use the ordinary tray, and the second batch cooked quicker.Both turned out the same, just the first lot took longer to cook.

kuaka, Mar 20, 7:24pm
chicco - I honestly don't know either, just always done it that way and it never really occurred to me to leave the oven tray in the oven.The first time I used the silicone tray and tried to lift it off the bench to put it in the oven, it started to sag so I thought I had better slide the ordinary oven tray under it, I put it in the oven and slid the ordinary tray out.It worked, so I've just always done that.Maybe I will leave the ordinary tray in the oven next time and see if there's any difference.

jakelou, Mar 20, 7:31pm
Do you need to oil/butter the silicone trays!

olwen, Mar 20, 7:35pm
I tried making yorkshire puddings in silicon trays and wasn't that happy.Metal is better for yorksire pudding.You do need to lightly grease silicon especialliy when it is new.

kuaka, Mar 20, 8:09pm
I didn't grease my silicone muffin trays and the muffins came out real easy, just tipped the tray over onto the cooling rack and they all fell out.No probs whatsoever.

obsidianwings, Mar 21, 12:01am
I agree they are great, I have just cheap warehouse ones and I never have to grease them, as far as the floppiness goes I just hold them carefully and i've had no problems.

greerg, Mar 21, 1:45am
I bought some Circulon ones a while ago and they are fantastic.Wish I'd had them in the days of mass muffin production when the kids were home.Even the rich shortcrust pastry I make doesn't need greasing first in these.Muffins just fall out.

kinna54, Mar 21, 5:00am
I have both silicon and non stick. The silicone can be a pain to wash. The only thing I find with hands that don't work is that the silicone can bend on me, and tend to be harder to handle. You definitely need a tray under them

kuaka, Mar 21, 9:47am
and I've just baked two dozen muffins - the first dozen I baked in the silicone tray which I left on the ordinary baking tray, the second dozen (same mix) I didn't use the ordinary tray, and the second batch cooked quicker.Both turned out the same, just the first lot took longer to cook.

obsidianwings, Mar 22, 12:01am
I agree they are great, I have just cheap warehouse ones and I never have to grease them, as far as the floppiness goes I just hold them carefully and i've had no problems.