Buttercream icing

alebix, Mar 18, 5:10am
Hi there,

Can you freeze buttercream icing if stored correctly.?

kinna54, Mar 18, 5:12am
Yes. I often freeze left over icing, it's fine. Just give itre beat if necessary when thawed, as sometimes it can separate a bit.

alebix, Mar 18, 5:16am
Thank you...

Now do you have a really simple recipe for it????All I know is that its butter, icing sugar and a dash of milk????

kinna54, Mar 18, 5:41am
Is it the butter cream to ice like a birthday cake, or are you talking more like a mock cream filling. What you have posted is pretty right for icing. You just add to the mix to make the spreading consistency you require. eg. 1 cup icing sugar, 2tbsps butter 1 tbsp milk. Just up the quantities on each till you get the amount and consistency required.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 18, 7:59am
To make a 'creamy' buttercream - it is called buttercream for a reason - I use about half a pound (or more) to a kg of icing sugar. Sounds like a lot but it holds its shape well, its great for cupcakes and doesn't set like icing sugar that has been wet and allowed to dry again if you know what I mean?

alebix, Mar 18, 8:33am
I need it to cover a birthday cake, so it needs to spread out nicely and have an even coverage.

elliehen, Mar 18, 8:40am
There are lots of threads on buttercream icing, if you want to check the search function.

alebix, Mar 18, 8:42am
I have looked elliehen but its not specific and I am doing the cake tonight. But thank you.

kinna54, Mar 18, 8:49am
Yep that's the one as sclaredy cat says, very buttery. Itdoes spread evenly, Beat it well to avoid any grittiness. If you are doing more than 1 colour make smaller quanities, as I said before just work out your ratio.i.e 1/4lb butter to 1/2kg icing sugar.Some recipes do have milk, but the straight butter one will keep better. If you are adding colouring use an eyedropper, colour andbeat, colour andbeat, so you get the colour evenly through. colour can deepen on standing, so go lighter rather than darker. I'm sure you have all the tips to have it all under control now. good luck.

alebix, Mar 18, 8:53am
Thanks Kinna, your help is much appreciated.

alebix, Mar 19, 5:10am
Hi there,

Can you freeze buttercream icing if stored correctly.!

kinna54, Mar 19, 5:12am
Yes. I often freeze left over icing, it's fine. Just give itre beat if necessary when thawed, as sometimes it can separate a bit.

alebix, Mar 19, 5:16am
Thank you.

Now do you have a really simple recipe for it!All I know is that its butter, icing sugar and a dash of milk!

sclaredy_cat, Mar 19, 7:59am
To make a 'creamy' buttercream - it is called buttercream for a reason - I use about half a pound (or more) to a kg of icing sugar. Sounds like a lot but it holds its shape well, its great for cupcakes and doesn't set like icing sugar that has been wet and allowed to dry again if you know what I mean!

kinna54, Mar 19, 8:49am
Yep that's the one as sclaredy cat says, very buttery. Itdoes spread evenly, Beat it well to avoid any grittiness. If you are doing more than 1 colour make smaller quanities, as I said before just work out your ratio.i.e 1/4lb butter to 1/2kg icing sugar.Some recipes do have milk, but the straight butter one will keep better. If you are adding colouring use an eyedropper, colour andbeat, colour andbeat, so you get the colour evenly through. colour can deepen on standing, so go lighter rather than darker. I'm sure you have all the tips to have it all under control now. good luck.