Gluten Free Recipes

Page 1 / 46
melford, Sep 4, 6:55am
Gluten Free Chicken croquettes
1 cup cooked chicken
2 potatoes (cooked and mashed with 1 tsp olivani)
1 egg
¼ cup grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp maize cornflour mixed with 3 tbsp Soya So Good Lite Milk
1 tsp Massels chicken stock powder in 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp parsley
Pinch salt
Pinch black pepper
1 finely chopped onion sauteed in olivani
1 cup Orgran Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
Sautee chopped onions, add cornflour, milk, stock powder, water and grated cheese and put all in a food processor with cooked pieces of chicken. Add all other ingredients. Shape into croquettes using the breadcrumbs then pan fry in grapeseed oil until golden. Nice hot or cold

herika, Sep 4, 7:02am
Hi melford would you please list the ingredients in the Massel Chicken Stock powder please :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:03am
I havent heard of GF chicken croquettes would you also please list the ingredients for these :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:04am
What about the soy good lite soy milk, would you also please list the ingredients for that, thank you so much :)

melford, Sep 4, 7:04am
Coffee Loaf 125g olivani;130g brown sugar;75g caster sugar;125ml So Good Milk;2 tsp instant coffee;2 eggs;225g Bakels GF flour and 3 tsp Baking Powder. Grease a 14x21cm loaf pan, cover base with baking paper. Combine olivani, sugar, milk & coffee in med saucepan, stir over low heat, without boiling, until olivani is melted. Stand 10 mins. Stir in eggs, flour and baking powder. Pour into pan. Bake in mod oven about 40 mins. Turn onto rack to cool. Top cold loaf with Icing
240g sifted icing sugar;1 tsp olivani;3 tsp instant coffee;2 tbsp So Good Milk approx. Sift icing sugar and coffee together. Stir in olivani and enough milk to give a firm paste. Stir over hot water until icing is spreadable and ice loaf .

herika, Sep 4, 7:06am
x1
Unfortunately instant coffee has fillers that often contain gluten. I use freeze dried coffee as that has been recommended to me as gluten free :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:07am
x1
Easy gluten free baking powder: 2 parts Cream of Tartar to one part Baking soda :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:11am
Make sure you use eggs that have been laid by chooks that arent fed wheat. Some sources say that the gluten protein doesnt affect a person because the chook has digested it but for some people this doesnt seem to work and they do react adversely :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:14am
x1
Olivani contains soybean lecithin so some people, who cant tolerate soy, may need to use another spread :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:24am
Dont just use any icing sugar Chelsea icing sugar is gluten free :)

oscarnz, Sep 4, 7:27am
herika unless I'm mistaken, the ingredients for the gf chicken croquettes are at post #1 - it's a recipe for them

shadow1, Sep 4, 10:05am
Herika, Massel Chicken Stock Powder ingredients:Marine Salt, Rice Flour, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Vegetable Protein Extract (Soy derived), Potato Flakes, Natural Vegetable Flavours, Dehydrated Vegetables (onion), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Chilli. It is a gf & also lactose free product.
Thanks for the receipes Melford - sound yum.

melford, Sep 4, 10:21am
Your very welcome shadow. As well as Massel chciken stock powder being gluten free Maggi Chicken Stock Powder is also gluten free.

herika, Sep 4, 7:31pm
Hi shadow thanks for that. I reacted badly to the Massel stock and it must have been the yeast extract as I seem to be okay with soy :)

herika, Sep 4, 7:49pm
x1
Apple or pineapple muffins 1 heaped cup of Horleys GF bread mix, 2/3 c rice flour, 1/2 maizecornflour, 1 1/4c sugar, pinch salt, 1 c stewed apple or crushed pineapple, 1 egg, 2 tlbsp margarine, 2 tlbsp golden syrup, 3/4 c soy milk, 1 sm tsp baking soda. Mix flours and salt. Dissolve soda in soy milk. Melt marg and golden syrup together and add to milk. Beat egg and add to liquid. Add apple or pineapple and gently stir this mix into the flours. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake 220oC for 12-15mins. Just in case any one should know Horleys flour mix has additive 575 in it. This is glucono delta-lactone and can cause diarrhoea. It also has soy flour in it and as this recipe has soy milk too that could be a problem for some people. If not a problem for you - enjoy it! :)

melford, Sep 5, 7:24am
hi herika - here are the soya milk ingredients All Ingredients are of Non-Animal origin
Filtered water, soy protein (4%), corn maltodextrin, sunflower oil [contains antioxidant (tocopherols)], cane sugar, minerals (phosphates of calcium, potassium and magnesium), Acidity Regulator (332), vitamins (B2, B1, A, B12), natural flavour, antioxidant (ascorbic acid).

cathnjim, Sep 5, 9:25pm
I would love to add to any gluten free thread. but I don't feel the confidence to add anything. I would love to talk further, but I can't as this is such a hot contentious issue, I don't want to ruffle feathers. Cathy

melford, Sep 7, 5:15am
hi cathy - please do add to the gluten recipe thread as it is always nice to know what recipes turn out as the diet is so restrictive. I think it is up to the individual person to evaluate the recipe that is posted as to its suitability for their particular diet eg some people are sensitive to oats but many coeliacs tolerate them well as my daughter does. If I post a recipe it is gluten free, yes there may be some hidden gluten eg in instant coffee (as herika points out) but my daughter has suffered no ill effects so we continue to make the coffee loaf I have posted.

herika, Sep 7, 7:19am
hi melford I dont find the GF diet that restrictive. I eat a great variety of fresh fruit and veges and meals. I cant have anything with gluten, cows milk or vege gums etc in it but I substitute these with rice and maize cornflours, goat or GF soy milk and just dont worry about adding vege gums etc. I find using different herbs and spices, Melrose Worcestershire Sauce and Braggs All Purpose seasoning gives me lots of variety in my meals. I use white rice, brown rice and rice stick noodles and sometimes packet GF noodles with different sauces etc. I use maize cornflour or arrowroot for any thickening too. As the weather improves there will be lots of veges coming onto the market to give variety and lots of ideas there. Check out the ~*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*~ thread for lots more ideas :)

melford, Sep 7, 10:19pm
herika - you can't deny that your diet is very restrictive. It seems that every post that is put on here you find fault with it as there is something in it that you can't have. You insisted that soya milks were not gluten free (yet So Good is gluten free and now you use it yourself)Whilst I appreciate you need to be diligent with your diet my point is, not everyone has to be that diligent to be gluten free at a level that you do. It has got to the point I believe that other posters are fearful to post in case you come on and rubbish their post.

kelsey18, Sep 7, 10:50pm
Go Melford go I totally agree, I am also Coeliac but I don't have to be extremely restrictive.

mmecholet, Sep 7, 11:38pm
Edmonds baking powder states that it's gluten free also I notice our local PnS supermarket (where we buy most of our "dry stuff" plus rice milk but little else) now labels everything that's Gluten Free with good eye catching red signs. I personally think GF shopping, cooking and eating is becoming easier and it really doesn't need to be made to sound more difficult than it is. Especially to people just coming to grips with a new more restrictive diet. I have one 5 year old totally gluten free plus the rest of the family on a very low gluten diet (ie twice a week we eat Spelt flour bread or pasta). The main challenge is the extra expense. Thanks to increased awareness, online information sharing/resources and better ingredients available (in even "basic" supermarkets now) it has definitely got easier :)

mmecholet, Sep 7, 11:39pm
PS thanks #1 for the recipe. I'm always looking for interesting ways to serve chicken - I think my kids will love those :)

mmecholet, Sep 7, 11:52pm
And to add my own recipe... . my kids often have pikelets (instead of bread) to make up their sandwiches. I melt about 1/2 Tbsp honey - add 2Tbsp good olive oil, mix well then beat in an egg and 2/3 cup of ricemilk. Sift in 1 tsp G/free baking powder (not difficult to source) and enough GF flour or baking mix (I use a mix of almond meal/buckwheat/rice flour) to make a good "pikelet" consistency - the amount varies with the exact type of flour used. If the first one cooked is too pancake-like then add more flour!
Cook in a tiny bit of oil (ie just wipe the pan with oil) and turn when bubbles show through the surface.

darlingmole, Sep 7, 11:54pm
bought some gluten free pork sausages that were delicious! check out delighthouse on the www ...