Baking for a death in the family

Page 1 / 2
bcjordan, Mar 16, 8:29am
What on earth do you make??

elliehen, Mar 16, 8:32am
Anything to have with a cup of tea that will help feed the many visitors who will pass through the house.

bcjordan, Mar 16, 8:33am
Thanks Elliehen , as i wasnt to keen on dinner LOL I can hardly bake!!! I burnt Ill try to be real careful !

alebix, Mar 16, 8:35am
A cake or perhaps something that can be frozen. If they get alot of food, it might be nice to know it can be saved not chucked out.

bcjordan, Mar 16, 8:36am
Awesome thanks Alebix

patsy3, Mar 16, 9:00am
A roast? Boil up? Sometimes it is good to think big. (used to farming families)
A huge bacon and egg pie? (roasting dish size)
cream puffs? tripple the recipe.

neville26, Mar 16, 9:06am
when mum died someone dropped off a cold cooked corned beef. It was very handy.

duckmoon, Mar 16, 9:50am
when my dad died, mum's neighbour came over and paid her respects; she brought a six rolls of toilet paper, and a bag of coffee

muffty, Mar 16, 9:05pm
Good idea... Just to add to the others above , apple or apricot slice maybe . Or chocolate slice. Cookies that can keep over a few days although they will probably get eaten before that happens.

nauru, Mar 16, 9:35pm
As above re: cooked corned beef or a roast of some kind to use for sandwiches etc.Also a batch of scones or muffins, sweet or savoury would be good too.

lilyfield, Mar 16, 9:37pm
coffee and more tea

elliehen, Mar 16, 10:15pm
And you don't have to bake it or cook it, if you're not a keen cook.You can buy it and give it with as many loving thoughts as those who slave over the hot stove.

kinna54, Mar 17, 1:14am
Anything at that time is appreciated. Make something that is freezeable. A delightful neighbour made a family meal; *sausage casserole* which I know was very appreciated by a bereaved family, as they had peole arriving from travelling long distances, and it was lovely for them to have something ready to reheatwhen they arrived .

moore., Mar 17, 3:30am
i usually t ake in,
rotisereee chicken/pottle coleslaw and some buns .

donnabeth, Mar 17, 4:24am
What my family appreciated was the friend who turned up with a huge casserlole, 2 packets of frozen stir fry veges and two packets of flavoured rice. On the day of the funeral I quickly and easily heated them for family and guests and we had a good cooked lunch before heading away. In our case the funeral was delayed a couple of days and we were ready for a proper meal.
Others dropped in a huge bacon and egg pie,a cooked sliverside, loaves of bread and margerine, pasta and smoked chicken.

Non food help we enjoyed:

Flowers; lots of them and we loved every single bunch, whether from the florist or gardens. We photographed them all too. The last of them was probably thrown out 2 months later, but early on large storage vessels(well, nice ones) were a problem.
My daughter came over and tidied my front garden and as it was winter, bought some daffodils in pots to brighten the entrance.
Before leaving, some visitors washed and dried all the dishes left on the bench.
A huge jar or vase to hold a big bouquet of flowers, (even if you have to buy a second hand one). Colourful wrapping soon disguises a jar.

A neighbour house sat during the funeral afternoon because burglars can actively target homes of the bereaved.

Please do accompany any gifts with a card because it took our family several weeks to feel ready to read the messages.Now I sometimes take a quiet moment to browse through them all and derive great comfort from it.

For all of you who have given a little or a lot in a time of need, thank you from someone who was surprised at how much support was needed and three years later is still grateful for what we received.

fluffyfings, Mar 17, 4:28am
When my mother passed away, a friend turned up with tea, coffee, sugar, milk toilet paper, tissues and a few other things like packet biscuits and cakes.

They turned out to be a great help as we had people popping out of the woodwork to pass on their condolences.I was pleased she didnt feel the need to bake like everyone else did, as I felt so bad having to throw a lot of food out, or feeding the kids toasted sandwiches for yet another night, just trying to use up all the sandwiches

genpat, Mar 17, 4:48am
Even a roast leg of lamb to cut cold,a large fish pie to heat up, or just those,extra basics that people run out of when they are stressed and busy.tea bags,paper serviettes, a few packets of biscuits, extra tea towels,It will be really appreciated.

nfh1, Mar 17, 4:57am
So shocked to read that you need to have someone house sit so you are not burgled - the depths some people will go to.

elliehen, Mar 17, 5:39am
It happens.Nowadays it's recommended that the address given in a death notice for messages of condolence is that of the Funeral Director, as opposed to the street address of the bereaved.

dorothy_vdh, Mar 17, 6:56am
rather than baking what about....... tea,coffee milk, toilet paper,tissues fruit

bcjordan, Mar 17, 8:29am
What on earth do you make!

bcjordan, Mar 17, 8:33am
Thanks Elliehen , as i wasnt to keen on dinner LOL I can hardly bake! I burnt Ill try to be real careful !

nfh1, Mar 17, 8:46am
I would never have thought of that elliehen - fancy having to think of things like that, dreadful.

akd100, Mar 17, 8:56am
I always do a quiche and a lasagne.But talking to a friend who lost her mum, she said the best thing she received was a basket with, tissues, washing powder, toilet paper, throat lozenges, coffee and tea, lip balm, and I can't remember the rest lolShe said they had so much food.Oh and the person that went and did the grocery shopping for them.

patsy3, Mar 17, 9:00am
A roast! Boil up! Sometimes it is good to think big. (used to farming families)
A huge bacon and egg pie! (roasting dish size)
cream puffs! tripple the recipe.