Wanting to make a crumble

sammyzmumma, Mar 16, 4:33am
with blackberries will it work? I have tonnes of them, picked 2 ice cream containers fill and thats only a few off the bush or any other ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks J

lizab, Mar 16, 4:40am
if you did half and half of blackberries and apples it would be superb!!!!

jessie981, Mar 16, 5:28am
Recipes from Aunt Daisy (are there any you would like)?
Blackberry & Apple Mould (dessert)
Blackberry Sandwich (dessert)
Blackberry Mincemeat
Blackberry & Apple Jam/Jelly
Blackberry Pickle
Blackberry Chutney

lizab, Mar 16, 6:41am
Digby Law's Blackberry Chutney, Blackberry Ketchup, Blackberry Relish and Blackberry Pickle recipes for you ....

Blackberry Chutney
An excellent chutney for cold meats or with hot pork, duck or goose. Blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries or loganberries could be substituted for the blackberries.

500g cooking apples
250g onions
1.5 kg blackberries
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp ground mace
1 tsp salt
500g brown sugar
2 cups white vinegar

Peel, core and finely chop the apples, peel and finely chop the onions. In a large saucepan combine the apples, onions and blackberries with the remaining ingredients.
Slowly bring to the boil, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 1 hour until the desired consistency. This type of chutney is better more liquid that too dry.
Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 3 litres.

Blackberry Ketchup
A sweetish, gently spiced sauce excellent with meats, but try it with offal too. Boysenberries can be substituted for the blackberries. This is a two-in-one recipe as the leftover pulp can be made into a successful relish.

2 kg ripe blackberries
750g apples
5 cups sugar
¾ tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground mixed spice
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
3 ½ cups white vinegar

Wash the blackberries, and drain well. Core and chop the unpeeled apples. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then cook slowly, uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours. Rub as much of the sauce as possible through a fine sieve, reserving the resulting pulp, and pour into hot, clean bottles. Makes about 2.5 litres.

The resulting pulp can now be made into a successful relish – recipe follows

Blackberry Relish

pulp leftover from Blackberry Ketchup
5 medium onions, halved and finely sliced
¾ cup sugar
1 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp curry powder

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer very gently, partially covered, for 45 minutes, stirring often.
Spoon into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 1.5 litres.

Blackberry Pickle

Use with all kinds of meats and poultry or with cheese. Boysenberries could be substituted for the blackberries.

1 kg ripe blackberries
4 cups sugar
2 tbsp ground allspice
2 tbsp ground ginger
2 cups white vinegar

Place the blackberries in a saucepan with the sugar and spices. Carefully mix them and let stand for 12 hours or overnight.
Heat the vinegar to boiling, then pour over the berries. Bring slowly to the boil and cook very gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and carefully to avoid breaking the berries.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon into clean jars and seal.
Makes about 2 litres.

lizab, Mar 16, 6:43am
you're so lucky having so many blackberries!! You could freeze them don't forget. Enjoy :)

sammyzmumma, Mar 16, 10:15pm
yummy thanks for all the delicious ideas made a crumble last night but i added all sorts of different berries with my blackberries was the best!!! i am going to pick them all and freeze them and i am going to attempt the relish sounds soo good thanks heaps!!!!

sammyzmumma, Mar 16, 10:16pm
yummy could i please have the blackberry and apple mould dessert thanks

sammyzmumma, Mar 17, 4:33am
with blackberries will it work! I have tonnes of them, picked 2 ice cream containers fill and thats only a few off the bush or any other ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks J

lizab, Mar 17, 4:40am
if you did half and half of blackberries and apples it would be superb!

jessie981, Mar 17, 5:28am
Recipes from Aunt Daisy (are there any you would like)!
Blackberry & Apple Mould (dessert)
Blackberry Sandwich (dessert)
Blackberry Mincemeat
Blackberry & Apple Jam/Jelly
Blackberry Pickle
Blackberry Chutney

lizab, Mar 17, 6:41am
Digby Law's Blackberry Chutney, Blackberry Ketchup, Blackberry Relish and Blackberry Pickle recipes for you .

Blackberry Chutney
An excellent chutney for cold meats or with hot pork, duck or goose. Blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries or loganberries could be substituted for the blackberries.

500g cooking apples
250g onions
1.5 kg blackberries
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp ground mace
1 tsp salt
500g brown sugar
2 cups white vinegar

Peel, core and finely chop the apples, peel and finely chop the onions. In a large saucepan combine the apples, onions and blackberries with the remaining ingredients.
Slowly bring to the boil, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 1 hour until the desired consistency. This type of chutney is better more liquid that too dry.
Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 3 litres.

Blackberry Ketchup
A sweetish, gently spiced sauce excellent with meats, but try it with offal too. Boysenberries can be substituted for the blackberries. This is a two-in-one recipe as the leftover pulp can be made into a successful relish.

2 kg ripe blackberries
750g apples
5 cups sugar
¾ tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground mixed spice
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
3 ½ cups white vinegar

Wash the blackberries, and drain well. Core and chop the unpeeled apples. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then cook slowly, uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours. Rub as much of the sauce as possible through a fine sieve, reserving the resulting pulp, and pour into hot, clean bottles. Makes about 2.5 litres.

The resulting pulp can now be made into a successful relish – recipe follows

Blackberry Relish

pulp leftover from Blackberry Ketchup
5 medium onions, halved and finely sliced
¾ cup sugar
1 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp curry powder

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer very gently, partially covered, for 45 minutes, stirring often.
Spoon into hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 1.5 litres.

Blackberry Pickle

Use with all kinds of meats and poultry or with cheese. Boysenberries could be substituted for the blackberries.

1 kg ripe blackberries
4 cups sugar
2 tbsp ground allspice
2 tbsp ground ginger
2 cups white vinegar

Place the blackberries in a saucepan with the sugar and spices. Carefully mix them and let stand for 12 hours or overnight.
Heat the vinegar to boiling, then pour over the berries. Bring slowly to the boil and cook very gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and carefully to avoid breaking the berries.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon into clean jars and seal.
Makes about 2 litres.

lizab, Mar 17, 6:43am
you're so lucky having so many blackberries! You could freeze them don't forget. Enjoy :)

sammyzmumma, Mar 17, 10:15pm
yummy thanks for all the delicious ideas made a crumble last night but i added all sorts of different berries with my blackberries was the best! i am going to pick them all and freeze them and i am going to attempt the relish sounds soo good thanks heaps!

bev00, Mar 16, 11:36am
ah lovely ideas with blackberries

gasman64, Mar 16, 12:46pm
Lizab.you are a treasure. I myself have eaten many blackberry and apple crumbles with custard or ice cream.Yummy. I make my crumble the old way mixing the butter and flour together in my fingers.

greerg, Mar 17, 4:54am
Liberties and rhubarb make a d elicious crumble. I think blackberries would too.

kuaka, Mar 18, 7:30am
wine!