Brown rice is green

pamellie, Mar 16, 2:06am
I have just opened a new bag of 'Sun Rice' brown rice and a lot of the grains are quite green. Is this normal?

kinna54, Mar 16, 4:24am
Don't think so. Sounds like the rice has maybe started to shoot?

lurtz, Mar 16, 4:44am
I have used wholegrain rice for a long time,and I often find that the outer husk has a green tinge to it,( not the"quite green"as you have written, but a definite tinge.) This is fine. It has nothing to do with the rice being off, or mouldy.We love wholegrain rice, and I introduced it to my family by doing half and half initially. Half wholegrain (which is better nutritionally), and half long grain Basmati, or similar. Now, we only use the wholegrain, and apart from the nutritional benefits, and the wonderful, almost nutty taste, it is sustainably filling.

lythande1, Mar 16, 5:18am
Rice is not a consistent colour. Not even white rice. White may look all the same - which meant they bleached it.

buzzy110, Mar 16, 5:42am
Snap. When I was a vego I used wholegrain rice and it sometimes was as you describe.

pamellie, Mar 16, 6:31pm
Thanks for your replies everyone, it was fine once cooked but I've never seen it like that before so was curious to see if it was normal.

pamellie, Mar 17, 2:06am
I have just opened a new bag of 'Sun Rice' brown rice and a lot of the grains are quite green. Is this normal!

kinna54, Mar 17, 4:24am
Don't think so. Sounds like the rice has maybe started to shoot!

pamellie, Mar 17, 6:31pm
Thanks for your replies everyone, it was fine once cooked but I've never seen it like that before so was curious to see if it was normal.