HELP - GRAPE JELLY COOKING....

racey7, Mar 14, 11:24pm
I have a pot of grape jelly on the boil and have just added the sugar as per the recipe (1 cup grape :1 cup sugar) and it is mega sweet...what can I do to tone it down a bit. I have both lemons and citric acid on hand..can anyone help with quantities or should I just stick with sickly sweet jelly?

fifie, Mar 15, 1:20am
Prolly to late now not much help sorry, had a bit of a look on the net someone added near the end of cooking time a little claret or red wine to take the sweetness away, but i haven't tried it. Ive just made apple jelly cup of sugar to cup of juice also and we find its a bit sweet to but just gone with it, tastes good on toast lol, i'm sure youre jelly will be fine lovely in some sauces, and with cooked game also

pickles7, Mar 15, 6:02am
It is a cup of juice to a cup of sugar to get a good set. You will find that a sugar thermometer would have helped, I am sure I get more jars of jam now,than I used to. setting point is between 104*C [220*F] and 107*C [222*F] I would have added the juice of a few lemons, depending on how much fruit you had.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 8:34pm
My recipe has 1/3 cup lemon juice, however, it also has a setting agent ( pectin added as well)

racey7, Mar 15, 9:21pm
Thanks all, I ended up adding the juice of a lemon as our grapes are VERY sweet. It worked fine and now the jam/jelly is still sweet but not as sickly as it was.

Cookessentials, I don't suppose you would care to share your recipe as I still have killos of grapes left on the vine so still need to make a couple more batches to use them up :o)

racey7, Mar 15, 11:24pm
I have a pot of grape jelly on the boil and have just added the sugar as per the recipe (1 cup grape :1 cup sugar) and it is mega sweet.what can I do to tone it down a bit. I have both lemons and citric acid on hand.can anyone help with quantities or should I just stick with sickly sweet jelly!

fifie, Mar 16, 1:20am
Prolly to late now not much help sorry, had a bit of a look on the net someone added near the end of cooking time a little claret or red wine to take the sweetness away, but i haven't tried it. Ive just made apple jelly cup of sugar to cup of juice also and we find its a bit sweet to but just gone with it, tastes good on toast lol, i'm sure youre jelly will be fine lovely in some sauces, and with cooked game also

addington261, Mar 16, 5:27am
I would love a recipe as well please.

racey7, Mar 16, 9:21pm
Thanks all, I ended up adding the juice of a lemon as our grapes are VERY sweet. It worked fine and now the jam/jelly is still sweet but not as sickly as it was.

Cookessentials, I don't suppose you would care to share your recipe as I still have killos of grapes left on the vine so still need to make a couple more batches to use them up :o)