Quince Jam

madrose, Mar 14, 9:16pm
I had a go at making quince jam last night and it didnt turn dark pink or set and I wouldnt have a clue what I have done wrong does anyone have any suggestions or a fail safe recipie, I was wondering if I could recook it. THanks

fifie, Mar 14, 11:25pm
Did you boilthe quince long enough for it to go pink before adding the sugar?,its a bit hard to see what happened. I'd put it all back in the pot bring back to the boil add the juice of a lemon or some pectin to help it set, and keeping it at a rolling bubbly boil stirring all the time so it dosen't burn or stick to the pot bottom, re boil it around 10 -15 mins, then try a spoonful tested on a cold plate leave a few mins when you can see a skin starting to form or push your finger through it and see if it goes wrinkly ,that tells you its starting to set. Good Luck hope it works out for you.

madrose, Mar 14, 11:31pm
no I probably didnt the recipie said to boil the water, add the grated quince and lemon juice, simmer for 10 mins then add the sugar and boil to disolve then turn down to medium high for about 30 mins

fifie, Mar 15, 11:25pm
Did you boilthe quince long enough for it to go pink before adding the sugar!,its a bit hard to see what happened. I'd put it all back in the pot bring back to the boil add the juice of a lemon or some pectin to help it set, and keeping it at a rolling bubbly boil stirring all the time so it dosen't burn or stick to the pot bottom, re boil it around 10 -15 mins, then try a spoonful tested on a cold plate leave a few mins when you can see a skin starting to form or push your finger through it and see if it goes wrinkly ,that tells you its starting to set. Good Luck hope it works out for you.