Help with a NZ wine

dreamweaverfr, Mar 13, 11:18am
Hi All. Based over here in France we have access to a NZ wine called 2009 "Silverlake" Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough. Bottled by Silverlake Vineyards in Auckland (of all places)
For the life of me (and I am good searcher) I cannot find any tasting notes, winery information or anything else about this particular wine. Can anybody please help me?

elliehen, Mar 13, 11:53am
It's nearly 1am in NZ, Paul...Better luck in the morning :)

kennymac, Mar 13, 6:42pm
http://www.wine.dk/Vine/Vin.aspx?ProductID=24000701209

It looks like it is a Villa Maria Wine

willyow, Mar 13, 7:06pm
There are a lot of 'cleanskins' on the market. After the massive wine glut of a couple of years ago -wineries have hada lot more wine than they could sell. Often rather than devalue theworth of their premium wines by dumping them on the market,they are bottled under adifferent label - if you can find them you often get a really great wine at a reallycheap price. Usually there's no vineyard address on the label.If it has been exported it is probablyfrom a major player withexport infrastructure and probably quite good. We often buy afew sample bottles with strange labels at the supermarket - then go back and buy a dozen of the really good ones - $25-30 wines for $12 bucks - ain't bad!

elliehen, Mar 14, 11:53am
It's nearly 1am in NZ, Paul.Better luck in the morning :)

dreamweaverfr, Mar 14, 3:30pm
Ok guys Thanks for the info. It was only after I placed the order for our Bistro that I did some research, as I like to know about the wines we serve, and this one (Silver Lake) was one I couldn't find anything about and I was concerned at some type of scam with regards to NZ wine. It says on the label Marlborough Bay.

kennymac, Mar 14, 6:42pm
http://www.wine.dk/Vine/Vin.aspx!ProductID=24000701209

It looks like it is a Villa Maria Wine

willyow, Mar 14, 7:06pm
There are a lot of 'cleanskins' on the market. After the massive wine glut of a couple of years ago -wineries have hada lot more wine than they could sell. Often rather than devalue theworth of their premium wines by dumping them on the market,they are bottled under adifferent label - if you can find them you often get a really great wine at a reallycheap price. Usually there's no vineyard address on the label.If it has been exported it is probablyfrom a major player withexport infrastructure and probably quite good. We often buy afew sample bottles with strange labels at the supermarket - then go back and buy a dozen of the really good ones - $25-30 wines for $12 bucks - ain't bad!

buzzy110, Mar 15, 1:34am
Ummm. There is nothing wrong with the wine that comes from Auckland. Wine from Auckland is just as capable of winning international awards as wine from anywhere else in NZ. We have some fantastic wine growing areas - Kumeu, Henderson Valley, Mangere Mountain, etc - in Auckland, producing world standard wines. However, while it might be bottled in Auckland, they have kindly told you that the grapes were grown in Marlborough. Marlborough Bay is in the Marlborough Sounds.

dreamweaverfr, Mar 15, 9:24am
Absolutely agree with you. It is just that we find it so incredibly difficult to buy NZ wine in France that we like to know WHAT we are buying when we find it. This one (Silverlake) flies under the radar of all my NZ Wine books and I like to know about my wines - the french are very knowledgeable and love to know where (and how) the wines are grown.

kiwigirl252, Mar 15, 10:22am
hi all
does any one know the ';saint clair wines'. from marlborough,well they are my god parents,i think they sell alot overseas,they are really nice people as well,they have won alot of gold medals for there wine.x

buzzy110, Mar 15, 10:48pm
I'm not sure what your question is but I know of Saint Clair wines. (I say it Sinclair but apparently they call themselves Saint Clair!!) Some of their wines are truly marvellous and are enjoyed by all who appreciate excellence in wine. They do make for all tastes and pockets so some, while being very enjoyable are not as marvellous but I would still recommend them.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 10:54pm
Here is their website.. you can always contact them direct.
http://www.saintclair.co.nz/

cookessentials, Mar 15, 10:55pm
kiwigirl252 was not asking a question, she was making a statement.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 10:56pm
kiwigirl, I am sure there was a write up on them not long ago but i cant remember which magazine. it would have been something like "delicios" or one of those foodie mags I think.

kiwigirl252, Mar 16, 10:22am
hi all
does any one know the ';saint clair wines'. from marlborough,well they are my god parents,i think they sell alot overseas,they are really nice people as well,they have won alot of gold medals for there wine.x

buzzy110, Mar 16, 10:48pm
I'm not sure what your question is but I know of Saint Clair wines. (I say it Sinclair but apparently they call themselves Saint Clair!) Some of their wines are truly marvellous and are enjoyed by all who appreciate excellence in wine. They do make for all tastes and pockets so some, while being very enjoyable are not as marvellous but I would still recommend them.

cookessentials, Mar 16, 10:54pm
Here is their website. you can always contact them direct.
http://www.saintclair.co.nz/