Wanted lemon slice recipe

johne21, Mar 12, 4:28am
I have had this to die for "lemon slice at this cafe in Hastings...It is not the one made with biscuits or the one that has a curd top that separates or a meringuetop. It is a slice that hascoconut in it with a lemon icing on top. Sorry have tried to describe it the best I can..They call it Grandma's lemon slice...anyone got the recipe? Thanks in advance

toadfish, Mar 12, 4:50am
x1
Tangy Lemon Slice
200g butter
¼ cup golden syrup
½ cup sultanas
1¼ cups flour
1t baking powder
1 cup coconut
½ cup sugar
1¼ cup crushed cornflakes

Melt butter and golden syrup in a large saucepan.Remove from heat.Sift in flour and baking powder.

Add sultanas, coconut, sugar and cornflakes.Mix well.

Press mixture into a greased 20 x 30cm sponge roll tin.

Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.

When cold, cover with lemon icing and cut into squares.

Lemon Icing
2 cups icing sugar
2t grated lemon rind
1t butter
Approx 2T lemon juice

Sift icing sugar into a bowl.Stir in lemon rind and butter.Add lemon juice slowly, mixing into a smooth, spreadable icing.

johne21, Mar 13, 4:28am
I have had this to die for "lemon slice at this cafe in Hastings.It is not the one made with biscuits or the one that has a curd top that separates or a meringuetop. It is a slice that hascoconut in it with a lemon icing on top. Sorry have tried to describe it the best I can.They call it Grandma's lemon slice.anyone got the recipe! Thanks in advance

johne21, Mar 13, 11:50pm
thanks toadfish but the slice I tasted didn't have cornflakes in it, but did have coconut and was soft to medium texture to bite into...any help anyone?

nana_gee, Mar 14, 12:08am
Maybe this is the one?
Lemon Coconut Slice

1 cup self-raising flour:
1 cup desiccated coconut:
3/4 cup caster sugar:
125 g melted butter:
2 eggs lightly beaten:
1/2 cup milk:
Combine dry ingredients with
melted butter. Stir in the eggs and milk.
Pour into a lightly greased tin. ( 30x24x3cm)
180coven for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before icing.
Icing:
Mix together 2 cups icing sugar with
1/4 cup lemon juice, till smooth.
Spread over slice and sprinkle with coconut.

johne21, Mar 14, 12:20am
thanks nana gee will give your recipe a go

kinna54, Mar 14, 12:45am
Nana gee that is the recipe I was just about to post! (1 I gleaned from Robert Harris a long time ago.)lovely isn't it and so simple. I add lemon zest to the icing.
If you want to make it slice like you can use a rectangular tin, which makes the thinner base, otherwise bake in a square cake pan. It doesn't make an overly thick (as in depth) cake.

johne21, Mar 14, 11:50pm
thanks toadfish but the slice I tasted didn't have cornflakes in it, but did have coconut and was soft to medium texture to bite into.any help anyone!

nana_gee, Mar 15, 12:08am
Maybe this is the one!
Lemon Coconut Slice

1 cup self-raising flour:
1 cup desiccated coconut:
3/4 cup caster sugar:
125 g melted butter:
2 eggs lightly beaten:
1/2 cup milk:
Combine dry ingredients with
melted butter. Stir in the eggs and milk.
Pour into a lightly greased tin. ( 30x24x3cm)
180coven for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before icing.
Icing:
Mix together 2 cups icing sugar with
1/4 cup lemon juice, till smooth.
Spread over slice and sprinkle with coconut.

kinna54, Mar 15, 12:45am
Nana gee that is the recipe I was just about to post! (1 I gleaned from Robert Harris a long time ago.)lovely isn't it and so simple. I add lemon zest to the icing.
If you want to make it slice like you can use a rectangular tin, which makes the thinner base, otherwise bake in a square cake pan. It doesn't make an overly thick (as in depth) cake.