Very runny jam

spencer26, Mar 10, 7:44pm
I am not a competent cook, but like experimenting. Yesterday's experiment was a disaster!
Had some windfall pears so thought I would try and make some pear & lemon jam. (recipe from the Web).
The result is some very liquid jam that tastes nice.My question is... can I now reheat this and boil to reduce it to a suitable consistency, AND is there an easy way to tell when it is ready? Any, and all comments appreciated. Thanks

greerg, Mar 10, 7:50pm
You can reboil it, and to beon the safe side you could add some jam setting mix.To test for setting put a small amount on a cold saucer (put it in the fridge when you put the jam on).Leave it a minute or so and pushthe edge of it with your finger.If it wrinkles as it moves away from the finger it's ready.

oopie, Mar 10, 8:56pm
Jam setting temperature is 220 degrees celcius.I use a sugar thermometer.The secret is in the chemical change at that temperature between the sugar and pectin, the stuff in fruit that sets jam.You can buy jam setting mix as described above, there is jam sugar now available in supermarkets, both are very expensive.Citrus pectin is available, 2-3 grams per KG of fruit.High pectin content in stone fruit kernels, citrus seeds and pith, windfall apple seeds, you can crush these, tie up in a muslin bag and boil with fruit, squeezing bag with wooden spoon against side of pot to release pectin.You can reboil your jam, or bottle as ice-cream sauce.

buzzy110, Mar 10, 10:40pm
For jam to set you need pectin. If you used the skins of the lemon in your jam you may have gotten some from that. Lemon juice doesn't have enough pectin. If your pears were very ripe then the pectin content would have been quite low. If you are going to be reboiling can I suggest you consider how much pectin you actually had to start off with and consider adding some commercial pectin when you reboil.

spencer26, Mar 10, 10:51pm
Thanks for your advice. Will reboil and add some pectin.

spencer26, Mar 11, 7:44pm
I am not a competent cook, but like experimenting. Yesterday's experiment was a disaster!
Had some windfall pears so thought I would try and make some pear & lemon jam. (recipe from the Web).
The result is some very liquid jam that tastes nice.My question is. can I now reheat this and boil to reduce it to a suitable consistency, AND is there an easy way to tell when it is ready! Any, and all comments appreciated. Thanks

greerg, Mar 11, 7:50pm
You can reboil it, and to beon the safe side you could add some jam setting mix.To test for setting put a small amount on a cold saucer (put it in the fridge when you put the jam on).Leave it a minute or so and pushthe edge of it with your finger.If it wrinkles as it moves away from the finger it's ready.

buzzy110, Mar 11, 10:40pm
For jam to set you need pectin. If you used the skins of the lemon in your jam you may have gotten some from that. Lemon juice doesn't have enough pectin. If your pears were very ripe then the pectin content would have been quite low. If you are going to be reboiling can I suggest you consider how much pectin you actually had to start off with and consider adding some commercial pectin when you reboil.