Crock pot macaroni cheese

Page 1 / 2
winnie15, Jan 5, 4:46am
yesi found that the new slow cookers cook are a lot hotter than the orginal crock pots, which is why i now cook this mac recipe for an hour or so only .much better!

nik12, Jan 5, 11:02am
45 mins in mine - cheap and tasty. but I do swap some of the water for milk because it just seems wrong to not have milk in mac and cheese.

winnie15, Jan 8, 2:06am
adding milk would make it more creamier wouldn't it!sounds like i'm going to have to do that too!

shelley39, Mar 10, 2:10am
I want to make a large mac. cheese in the crockpot but cant find a recipe. Anyone have a nice recipe please.

stormbaby, Mar 10, 2:31am
x1
tip with the Alison Holst one is to only use 2 cups instead of 3 cups grated cheese. Yum.

yeehah1, Mar 11, 4:21am
thank you for adding those links tried it for the first time tonight for the kids. OMG so oooo easy and yummy too!
Cheers

kinna54, Mar 11, 4:38am
puzzles me why you would want to make it in the crockpot. It is so much nicer made fresh and I can make mac cheese in under 15-20 mins, from scratch. Whilst the pasta is boiling ( till el dente 9mins approx) I make the cheese sauce, or you can use the instant tasty cheese one ) have my bacon grilling or microwaving, grate my cheese, and add the herbs and breadcrumbs (if desired)for over the top.
Pasta sitting in a crock potcan tendto go floury and overcooked. As a busy sport's mum in past years, and feeding teenagers and studentsin a hurry I made this many times over the years .Hope this is helpful

yeehah1, Mar 11, 4:43am
Not sure if yoiu talking to me or OP. LOL, I know how to make macaroni cheese the proper way (even without instant cheese sauce *wink*) but it meant I could wack it in go off and work horses etc and tehn just feed the offspring straight out of the pot instead of then having to cook it at my busiest time of day - feeding cats, and horses etc. Im not worried about it being nicer fresh because I dont eat it LOL and they loved it so must have tasted good. Means im not stuck in the kitchen even for those 20 minutes when there is other things to do ;-)

kinna54, Mar 11, 4:48am
yeehah I take your point, was trying to be helpful, and save double handling. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

sue1955, Mar 11, 5:53am
How many servings would this make? I'm only making for 2, so would it be better for me to halve the ingredients?

pom-pom, Mar 11, 6:13am
I only read this thread because I thought it said CRACKPOT Macaroni Cheese and I was intrigued. I'll go and get my glasses!

shelley39, Mar 11, 9:16pm
kinna54 wrote:
puzzles me why you would want to make it in the crockpot. It is so much nicer made fresh and I can make mac cheese in under 15-20 mins, from scratch. Whilst the pasta is boiling ( till el dente 9mins approx) I ]
I want to put it in the crockpot because I have 30 people coming for lunch and its just one dish for the kids I wont have to cook while I am cooking other stuff. My ovens going to be really busy.

sherralynne, Mar 12, 2:14am
Hi Sue1955, I've been making Alison Holst's crockpot macaroni cheese for a few years now and there's only 2 of us.There's always far too much, but it refrigerates well and is perfectly okay to eat re-heated the next day.I like this recipe because it's all prepared and cooked in the same dish and as long as you use "robust" pasta, like Penne or Macaroni, it doesn't go "gluggy" or "floury".I also like the fact that it doesn't have any butter.Enjoy :-)

kinna54, Mar 12, 4:38am
puzzles me why you would want to make it in the crockpot. It is so much nicer made fresh and I can make mac cheese in under 15-20 mins, from scratch. Whilst the pasta is boiling ( till el dente 9mins approx) I make the cheese sauce, or you can use the instant tasty cheese one ) have my bacon grilling or microwaving, grate my cheese, and add the herbs and breadcrumbs (if desired)for over the top.
Pasta sitting in a crock potcan tendto go floury and overcooked. As a busy sport's mum in past years, and feeding teenagers and studentsin a hurry I made this many times over the years .Hope this is helpful

sue1955, Mar 12, 5:53am
How many servings would this make! I'm only making for 2, so would it be better for me to halve the ingredients!

pom-pom, Mar 12, 6:13am
I only read this thread because I thought it said CRACKPOT Macaroni Cheese and I was intrigued. I'll go and get my glasses!

sherralynne, Mar 13, 2:14am
Hi Sue1955, I've been making Alison Holst's crockpot macaroni cheese for a few years now and there's only 2 of us.There's always far too much, but it refrigerates well and is perfectly okay to eat re-heated the next day.I like this recipe because it's all prepared and cooked in the same dish and as long as you use "robust" pasta, like Penne or Macaroni, it doesn't go "gluggy" or "floury".I also like the fact that it doesn't have any butter.Enjoy :-)

stormbaby, Mar 13, 11:35am
Yes. I double it and make two casserole dishes and freeze one.To the poster who questions doing it in the crockpot, its a bit different but rather nice! We have a couple of nights a week that are awkward and I am in and out over a couple of hours, so its good for those sorts of evenings, its only 1 1/2-2 hours and then I grill it in the oven with the breadcrumbs and butter on the top.

omokoroa1, Mar 13, 10:29pm
ok made maccy cheese last week ...............now dont laugh but i had a bag of cheezels which i wizzd up and added to my maccy .....mmmmmm unusual but yummyi just make a basic maccy you know cheese sauce and add cooked maccaroni just thort id try something differenthaha!!!! cheezels cant see why burger rings or twisties or rashuns cant be wizzd up and added eitherjust a thort

omokoroa1, Mar 14, 10:29pm
ok made maccy cheese last week .now dont laugh but i had a bag of cheezels which i wizzd up and added to my maccy .mmmmmm unusual but yummyi just make a basic maccy you know cheese sauce and add cooked maccaroni just thort id try something differenthaha! cheezels cant see why burger rings or twisties or rashuns cant be wizzd up and added eitherjust a thort

winnie15, Apr 6, 7:06am
this is so yummy and i don't make it any other way now days, its so creamy and divine ..
Macaroni Cheese (Crockpot)

2-2 ½ cups of macaroni 25g of butter
3 cups of grated colby cheese 3 tbsp flour
1 tsb garlic salt 3 cups of boiling water.

Turn the slow cooker on high to preheat and coat with non-stick spray. Tip pasta in the crock pot, melt the butter in the microwave and pour over pasta, chuck in everything else mix gently, cover with lid and cook on high for 2.5 to 3 hours. Stir gently every hour or so.

I add onion, bacon and tomatoes to this one

winnie15, Apr 7, 7:06am
this is so yummy and i don't make it any other way now days, its so creamy and divine .
Macaroni Cheese (Crockpot)

2-2 ½ cups of macaroni 25g of butter
3 cups of grated colby cheese 3 tbsp flour
1 tsb garlic salt 3 cups of boiling water.

Turn the slow cooker on high to preheat and coat with non-stick spray. Tip pasta in the crock pot, melt the butter in the microwave and pour over pasta, chuck in everything else mix gently, cover with lid and cook on high for 2.5 to 3 hours. Stir gently every hour or so.

I add onion, bacon and tomatoes to this one

janny3, Jun 6, 8:02am
Well I made the macaroni cheese in the slow cooker & when I got back from shopping, was greeted by the delicious aroma.Only problem is it was too dry.Tasty but I prefer creamier mac n cheese so it needed some extra cheese sauce to make it perfect.

zappi, Jun 6, 11:51pm
janni3, I too found it too dry when I made it.Wondering whether a little more water when cooking would solve this problem.Flavour was great though.

janny3, Jun 7, 8:02am
Well I made the macaroni cheese in the slow cooker & when I got back from shopping, was greeted by the delicious aroma.Only problem is it was too dry.Its very tasty but I prefer creamier mac n cheese.2 cups of extra cheese sauce stirred in saved the day & made it perfect.