Cake Decorators - Advice on Buying Tins

bopgirl1, Mar 9, 7:31am
I am need of a set of tins as I am starting to make a few wedding cakes and should probably stop hiring them. Can anyone give me advise on the brands, materials and type that is best for 'more than amateur' cake decorators? Springform v's stable tins, aluminium v's non'stick etc

chicco2, Mar 9, 5:43pm
Hi, There are some good ones for sale on Trademe. I dont like springform, some cake mixtures are RUNNY, and the leaking is messy. You will need a set of round and a set of square. Straight deep sides. Usually sets of 4 sizes. Tin is best. Look after them so they should last many years.I pick up the odd one at second hand shops and garage sales. Good luck with your decorating, its fun and creative. I will be listing some decorating books in the next few days, so keep an eye out.

chicco2, Mar 9, 5:46pm
I have bought a tin from this trader, and it is really good.360071204

fifie, Mar 9, 7:45pm
If you can buy good solid tins, as #2 says round, square,in different sizes and they will last you forever. Have fun great hobbie..

bopgirl1, Mar 10, 7:31am
I am need of a set of tins as I am starting to make a few wedding cakes and should probably stop hiring them. Can anyone give me advise on the brands, materials and type that is best for 'more than amateur' cake decorators! Springform v's stable tins, aluminium v's non'stick etc

fifie, Mar 10, 7:45pm
If you can buy good solid tins, as #2 says round, square,in different sizes and they will last you forever. Have fun great hobbie.

bopgirl1, Mar 11, 11:18pm

chicco2, Mar 11, 11:56pm
They look fine. However, aluminium is softer than tin. They can dent more easily.
Have you checked the trader called wholesalers, I mentioned them in the post above? Maybe ask a question about a set of tins, they might do you a deal.
I positive thing about the aluminium is that it doesnt rust, and they are lighter in weight.

senj, Mar 12, 12:40am
just to be different you could try wooden boxes, don`t laugh, I`m not joking as they are very good they don`t however come in the round, at least not that Iknow of.

eternity04, Mar 12, 2:30am
Try and get to some garage sales to look for some. I have a few from deceased estate garage sales, they are old but they are good solid ones and will last. When I got a rather big one from a garage sale it had alot of paper and bread wrappers in it. Right on the bottom was some news paper dating back to the 60's. Solid cake tins are the best as they dont leak and aluminium ones are to thin and you will have to adjust your cooking temps and time so the cakes won't burn. Good Luck..

Jan...

pr1ncesswst, Mar 12, 4:15am
I buy mine from table pride, they sell online.I prefer stable, solid tins, with the higher sides.They have all different shapes and sizes.Not the cheapest but they are very good quality.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 12, 6:22am
I agree with the posters that recommend checking out garage sales...I have bought most of mine from secondhand shops and garage sales. You need decent tins, and if you are serious about this as a new hobby you will need a few, to buy them all new would cost you a fortune, maybe ten times what it would cost you at an op shop!

bopgirl1, Mar 12, 6:46am
Thanks guys for your advice! Chicco2, i had a look at their auctions and while they don't have anything round at the moment, i will get in touch with them.Will be heading out next Saturday to some garage sales.Last time i went I got a whole lot of tupperware too!

bopgirl1, Mar 12, 11:18pm

chicco2, Mar 12, 11:56pm
They look fine. However, aluminium is softer than tin. They can dent more easily.
Have you checked the trader called wholesalers, I mentioned them in the post above! Maybe ask a question about a set of tins, they might do you a deal.
I positive thing about the aluminium is that it doesnt rust, and they are lighter in weight.

eternity04, Mar 13, 2:30am
Try and get to some garage sales to look for some. I have a few from deceased estate garage sales, they are old but they are good solid ones and will last. When I got a rather big one from a garage sale it had alot of paper and bread wrappers in it. Right on the bottom was some news paper dating back to the 60's. Solid cake tins are the best as they dont leak and aluminium ones are to thin and you will have to adjust your cooking temps and time so the cakes won't burn. Good Luck.

Jan.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 13, 6:22am
I agree with the posters that recommend checking out garage sales.I have bought most of mine from secondhand shops and garage sales. You need decent tins, and if you are serious about this as a new hobby you will need a few, to buy them all new would cost you a fortune, maybe ten times what it would cost you at an op shop!

bopgirl1, Mar 13, 6:46am
Thanks guys for your advice! Chicco2, i had a look at their auctions and while they don't have anything round at the moment, i will get in touch with them.Will be heading out next Saturday to some garage sales.Last time i went I got a whole lot of tupperware too!