Devilled sausages - recipe ideas?

pussytux, Mar 9, 4:31am
There used to be old recipe books with these concoctions in them, dishes our gran'mas once used. Can anyone help? My memory tells me I once liked them, and I know the supermarket has sauces for them. But I try to avoid the commercial ones, as I don't fancy the preservatives that are added. There must be a simple answer.

eastie3, Mar 9, 5:01am
This is a recipe for lamb chops but there is no reason you couldn't use it for sausages.It is from an old Australian Women's Weekly book.

DEVILLED LAMB CHOPS
1kg neck chops (substitute sausages)
1Tbs oil
1/2 c water
3 tsp curry powder
1tsp soy sauce
1/2c fruit chutney
salt,pepper
1tsp dry mustard
1Tbs brown sugar
Put oil,water,soy sauce,chutney,s&p,mustard and brown sugar into large bowl,mix well.
Add meat,mix well.Let stand at least an hour.Put meat in single layer in baking dish,spoon over any remaining sauce.Cover and bake in moderate oven (180C) for 30mins,remove cover and bake a further 15mins,turning meat frequently.Serves 6.

Other recipes that I looked at for you were for devilled kidneys and would also adapt well.They included worcester sauce and oxo cubes(the Edmonds book) and all had curry powder.The above recipe has a measly 1tsp of soy sauce,I'd give the bottle a decent shake and test for saltiness before seasoning further.
Good luck,I hope you find something that suits.

jessie981, Mar 9, 5:12am
Posted by pam. From lefthand message board. Put Devilled Sausages then date posted put anytime
Deviled sausages
• 15 ml olive oil
• 455 g sausages
• 120 ml water
• 5 ml soy sauce
• 30 ml Worcestershire sauce
• 15 ml mustard
• 0.4 g cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 30 g tomato paste
• 15 g brown sugar
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sausages, about 15 minutes, until well browned and cooked through.
2. Drain fat, and return skillet and sausages to medium heat. Stir in water, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cayenne, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Bring contents to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Quote pam.delilah (536 )7:20 pm, Fri 26

greerg, Mar 9, 7:53am
This is an Alison Holst recipe that has been a standard for my kids' flats
8-12 sausages, 4 tbspns brown sugar, 1 tbspn cornflour, 1 teasp ground cumin, 1 teasp dried mustard, 1 teasp celery (or garlic) salt, ¼ teasp salt, 1 tbspn soy sauce, 1 tbspn wine vinegar, 2 tbspns tomato paste, 1 cup water, 1 large onion, 1-2 green-skinned apples.Preheat oven to 180 C.In dish/pan big enough for sausages to fit in one layer, mix sugar, cornflour, spices and salts, add all liquids and stir till smooth.Chop onions and cored (but unpeeled) apples and add to mixture then arrange sausages in a single layer.Cover tightly with lid or foil and cook for 1 hour, turning sausages once.Stir in ½ cup of extra liquid (water, beer, wine) if sauce is thicker than liked.Serve on rice or with mashed potatoes.

gardie, Mar 9, 8:01am
I made a delicious sausage dish tonight.Put a tablespoon of flour into a dish with a crushed oxo cube then added enough water to make a paste then put in about a cup of water.I then slithered two onions and chopped up 4 great big skinned tomatoes, some garlic salt and the sausages and mixed it all up before baking in the oven for about an hour in a covered casserole dish.I'll definately be making it again - it was soooo yum.

petal1955, Mar 9, 8:54am
Devilled Sausages

Ingredients
• 2tablespoons olive oil
• 1 kilo sausages (pre cooked)
• 2 onions diced
• 2 carrots grated
• 2 apples peeled and grated
• 1 tbsp crushed garlic
• 1 cup water
• 2 teaspoon soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 4 tablespoons tomato paste
• 850 grams tin of tomatoes diced
• 2tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tbsps corn flour and water to mix to paste (if needed)
Directions
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onions, for about 10 minutes, until well browned and cooked through. Add carrots and apples and cook for a 3 minutes.
2. Stir in water, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, mustard, cayenne, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and brown sugar. Bring contents to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in corn flour and stir till thicken.Then add chopped sausages and cook a further 5 minutes.

pussytux, Mar 10, 4:31am
There used to be old recipe books with these concoctions in them, dishes our gran'mas once used. Can anyone help! My memory tells me I once liked them, and I know the supermarket has sauces for them. But I try to avoid the commercial ones, as I don't fancy the preservatives that are added. There must be a simple answer.

pussytux, Mar 10, 4:32am
Thank you all for your input; there are enough ideas to keep me busy for the remainder of the year. They all look yummy.

eastie3, Mar 10, 5:01am
This is a recipe for lamb chops but there is no reason you couldn't use it for sausages.It is from an old Australian Women's Weekly book.

DEVILLED LAMB CHOPS
1kg neck chops (substitute sausages)
1Tbs oil
1/2 c water
3 tsp curry powder
1tsp soy sauce
1/2c fruit chutney
salt,pepper
1tsp dry mustard
1Tbs brown sugar
Put oil,water,soy sauce,chutney,s&p,mustard and brown sugar into large bowl,mix well.
Add meat,mix well.Let stand at least an hour.Put meat in single layer in baking dish,spoon over any remaining sauce.Cover and bake in moderate oven (180C) for 30mins,remove cover and bake a further 15mins,turning meat frequently.Serves 6.

Other recipes that I looked at for you were for devilled kidneys and would also adapt well.They included worcester sauce and oxo cubes(the Edmonds book) and all had curry powder.The above recipe has a measly 1tsp of soy sauce,I'd give the bottle a decent shake and test for saltiness before seasoning further.
Good luck,I hope you find something that suits.

greerg, Mar 10, 7:53am
This is an Alison Holst recipe that has been a standard for my kids' flats
8-12 sausages, 4 tbspns brown sugar, 1 tbspn cornflour, 1 teasp ground cumin, 1 teasp dried mustard, 1 teasp celery (or garlic) salt, ¼ teasp salt, 1 tbspn soy sauce, 1 tbspn wine vinegar, 2 tbspns tomato paste, 1 cup water, 1 large onion, 1-2 green-skinned apples.Preheat oven to 180 C.In dish/pan big enough for sausages to fit in one layer, mix sugar, cornflour, spices and salts, add all liquids and stir till smooth.Chop onions and cored (but unpeeled) apples and add to mixture then arrange sausages in a single layer.Cover tightly with lid or foil and cook for 1 hour, turning sausages once.Stir in ½ cup of extra liquid (water, beer, wine) if sauce is thicker than liked.Serve on rice or with mashed potatoes.

gardie, Mar 10, 8:01am
I made a delicious sausage dish tonight.Put a tablespoon of flour into a dish with a crushed oxo cube then added enough water to make a paste then put in about a cup of water.I then slithered two onions and chopped up 4 great big skinned tomatoes, some garlic salt and the sausages and mixed it all up before baking in the oven for about an hour in a covered casserole dish.I'll definately be making it again - it was soooo yum.