Substitute for Fontina cheese?

antoniab, Mar 8, 9:56pm
Has anyone used a substitute for this cheese? Wikipedia says Grueye or Emmental (sp) can both be used but was just wondering is anyone has used anything before? TIA

cookessentials, Mar 8, 9:57pm
You can get fontina cheese in NZ.

antoniab, Mar 8, 10:14pm
Im sure you can but I dont know where from - Nosh, Vetro and La Cave in Hamilton dont have it and they are all our best food shops :(

cookessentials, Mar 8, 10:16pm
Mediterranean foods and La Bella italia as far as I am aware. You can use gruyere or provolone. There is also a place in Browns Bay called Jansens...I think they do it as well.

antoniab, Mar 8, 10:18pm
Are those places all in AKL? Thanks for the subs dont think Im going to be able to get it in Hams

cookessentials, Mar 8, 10:19pm

cookessentials, Mar 8, 10:21pm
You could also try Vinotica in Albany they used to have a fabulous selection of cheeses in their refrigerated cheese room
Vinotica Albany
3 Henry Rose Place, Albany 0632

09-447 1446

antoniab, Mar 8, 10:26pm
Cool thanks so much will def check them out next time Im up there - have juas rung Nosh again and they have the provolone you mentioned so will give that a go in the mean time :)

antoniab, Mar 9, 9:56pm
Has anyone used a substitute for this cheese! Wikipedia says Grueye or Emmental (sp) can both be used but was just wondering is anyone has used anything before! TIA

cookessentials, Mar 9, 10:16pm
Mediterranean foods and La Bella italia as far as I am aware. You can use gruyere or provolone. There is also a place in Browns Bay called Jansens.I think they do it as well.

antoniab, Mar 9, 10:18pm
Are those places all in AKL! Thanks for the subs dont think Im going to be able to get it in Hams

cookessentials, Mar 9, 10:19pm