Emergency Kit Sauce & Chutney in Plastic?

tabitha, Mar 6, 10:00pm
Was wondering if i could store the small quantity I would need of soy, tomato sauce, and maybe chutney in the chubby pill bottles or chemists small ointment containers. Would they eat through plastic? Thanks.

duckmoon, Mar 6, 11:16pm
I would probably put them in their original containers in my plastic fish box in the garage...
But have a look at the supermarket, I know you can get soy in plastic bottles. and tom sauce in plastic bottles

tabitha, Mar 6, 11:46pm
Thanks, but we're talking about one elderly person here. Trying to avoid whole bottles.

pickles7, Mar 7, 2:14am
You can buy sachets of sauces from a fish and chip shop. would they be ok.

smileeah, Mar 7, 3:48am
I would ask a pharmacist as they might know if they are suitable (food grade) or not. Is there a number on the bottom of the containers?

pickles7, Mar 7, 5:12am
I have just added 3 pkts of wet wipes to my kit, they are on special this week.

suzanna, Mar 7, 12:23pm
I have learnt this time that packet sauce mixes and gravies which I have always had a strong aversion to have been really useful. Friends sent us a care package which included these and packets of instant mashed potato so we had a very easy meal for lots of people. Also even though 'instant' so we're really not used to this kind of food I witnessed first hand that it saved us gas in cooking time as opposed to boiling vegetables. Also instant potatoes can be done in a mug...easy. Don't forget a sharp knife plus some sporks and you can buy disposable ones at a good price. May sound pathetic but a bottle of lemon juice great for flavour when the water's hygenically ok but the taste isn't.

pickles7, Mar 7, 8:22pm
Good advise....suzanna, we must take note of those that are experiencing this hard time in Christchurch. I have picked up a few things from you and will make sure I carry them out. We are in an earthquake zone, we have no excuse not to be prepared, for a week really. It is only extra food and water. All the other stuff, once you have it, won't change.
I have not packed up a food bag, but will. I sort of think I can just get what I need from the pantry on fleeing. silly ah. Tent too is a darn good idea, just a pup tent, a tarp, poles and rope, even
There is nothing wrong with pkts, all my working life has been cooking for others, now, I open a few pkts, so what , some are very nice.... Take care..

tabitha, Mar 7, 10:00pm
Was wondering if i could store the small quantity I would need of soy, tomato sauce, and maybe chutney in the chubby pill bottles or chemists small ointment containers. Would they eat through plastic! Thanks.

duckmoon, Mar 7, 11:16pm
I would probably put them in their original containers in my plastic fish box in the garage.
But have a look at the supermarket, I know you can get soy in plastic bottles. and tom sauce in plastic bottles

tabitha, Mar 7, 11:46pm
Thanks, but we're talking about one elderly person here. Trying to avoid whole bottles.

tabitha, Mar 8, 1:18am
This message board is really interesting & helpful! Chemist suggestion and sachets are good ideas.Try Maggie Mash potato with sour cream & chives! It's good. Think I've seen pumpkin too, but not where I live.

smileeah, Mar 8, 3:48am
I would ask a pharmacist as they might know if they are suitable (food grade) or not. Is there a number on the bottom of the containers!

suzanna, Mar 8, 12:23pm
I have learnt this time that packet sauce mixes and gravies which I have always had a strong aversion to have been really useful. Friends sent us a care package which included these and packets of instant mashed potato so we had a very easy meal for lots of people. Also even though 'instant' so we're really not used to this kind of food I witnessed first hand that it saved us gas in cooking time as opposed to boiling vegetables. Also instant potatoes can be done in a mug.easy. Don't forget a sharp knife plus some sporks and you can buy disposable ones at a good price. May sound pathetic but a bottle of lemon juice great for flavour when the water's hygenically ok but the taste isn't.

pickles7, Mar 8, 8:22pm
Good advise.suzanna, we must take note of those that are experiencing this hard time in Christchurch. I have picked up a few things from you and will make sure I carry them out. We are in an earthquake zone, we have no excuse not to be prepared, for a week really. It is only extra food and water. All the other stuff, once you have it, won't change.
I have not packed up a food bag, but will. I sort of think I can just get what I need from the pantry on fleeing. silly ah. Tent too is a darn good idea, just a pup tent, a tarp, poles and rope, even
There is nothing wrong with pkts, all my working life has been cooking for others, now, I open a few pkts, so what , some are very nice. Take care.

tabitha, Mar 9, 1:18am
This message board is really interesting & helpful! Chemist suggestion and sachets are good ideas.Try Maggie Mash potato with sour cream & chives! It's good. Think I've seen pumpkin too, but not where I live.