Russian Fudge - whats soft boil stage

Page 1 / 2
lillol, Mar 5, 6:25am
supposed to look like, you know when you put some in cold waer? Thanks.

lillol, Mar 5, 6:30am
I mean soft ball stage - please I don't want to have runny fudge again.

paghan, Mar 5, 6:34am
when you can dip it in some cold water and then roll it into a bal and it holds it shape.

cosby, Mar 5, 6:35am
I just made Russian Fudge today too - it's perfect ;o)
I don't test it though - I just go by the look/feel when stirring, however soft ball is basically when you let a blob fall into a dish of cold water it stays together (doesn't spread out all runny) and you can pick the blob up with your fingers. It'll still be squishy though. If it set it'd be hard ball.
I've never ever had runny fudge so I'm not quite sure where you went wrong there. Cook it on a really low heat, slowly. Stir all the time. Make sure the sugar has completely dissolved in the milk before adding the other ingredients. Keep stirring. Let it boil and carry on stirring until it turns a caramel colour. Then take it off the heat. It probably took about 30mins all up on the element (give or take a few - I never time anything), on low, for the whole process. Now I have 40 squares of perfect, smooth, set fudge in the fridge :)
Good luck.

knowsley, Mar 5, 8:13am
Speaking of Russian Fudge, the nicest stuff I had was from Dixon Deli in Wellington. It was a very soft fudge, not hard at all. Very buttery. Has anyone a recipe for Russian Fudge made this way?

gardie, Mar 5, 8:13am
Yummy cosby.Mr favourite - I make it for special birthdays and Christmas.It does take some practice to know the right look/feel and yes, I'd agree with around 30 ins except that if you boil it quite fast, it'll be a bit less.Don't know why Edmonds changed the recipe to say soft ball - the 30 mins in the old recipe books is about right.

pickles7, Mar 5, 8:31am
buy a sugar thermometer, 116 deg c 240 deg f

elliehen, Mar 5, 9:05am
This is a no-beat never-fail recipe with a secret ingredient...Whittaker's white chocolate, resulting in a creamy fudge.

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate broken up

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Store in the fridge

we_egg, Mar 5, 7:16pm
that sounds yum ellie......might just have to jump out of bed and make some.....but need to pop to the shop first and get the chocolate...:o)

knowsley, Mar 5, 8:23pm
Thanks Ellie, I'll give that one a go. :)

lillol, Mar 6, 6:25am
supposed to look like, you know when you put some in cold waer! Thanks.

lillol, Mar 6, 6:30am
I mean soft ball stage - please I don't want to have runny fudge again.

paghan, Mar 6, 6:34am
when you can dip it in some cold water and then roll it into a ball and it holds it shape.
I usually dip my spoon into the pot, then into the water the roll it around

cosby, Mar 6, 6:35am
I just made Russian Fudge today too - it's perfect ;o)
I don't test it though - I just go by the look/feel when stirring, however soft ball is basically when you let a blob fall into a dish of cold water it stays together (doesn't spread out all runny) and you can pick the blob up with your fingers. It'll still be squishy though. If it set it'd be hard ball.
I've never ever had runny fudge so I'm not quite sure where you went wrong there. Cook it on a really low heat, slowly. Stir all the time. Make sure the sugar has completely dissolved in the milk before adding the other ingredients. Keep stirring. Let it boil and carry on stirring until it turns a caramel colour. Then take it off the heat. It probably took about 30mins all up on the element (give or take a few - I never time anything), on low, for the whole process. Now I have 40 squares of perfect, smooth, set fudge in the fridge :)
Good luck.

we_egg, Mar 6, 7:53am
as I said....... I jumped out of bed, showered and zipped to the 4square.Came home and made the fudge (exact instructions)let it sit in the fridge for a good 3 hours and my godddd to die for scrummy.........
DO NOT EAT IF WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT.....!!!......:o)

knowsley, Mar 6, 8:13am
Speaking of Russian Fudge, the nicest stuff I had was from Dixon Deli in Wellington. It was a very soft fudge, not hard at all. Very buttery. Has anyone a recipe for Russian Fudge made this way!

gardie, Mar 6, 8:13am
Yummy cosby.Mr favourite - I make it for special birthdays and Christmas.It does take some practice to know the right look/feel and yes, I'd agree with around 30 ins except that if you boil it quite fast, it'll be a bit less.Don't know why Edmonds changed the recipe to say soft ball - the 30 mins in the old recipe books is about right.

elliehen, Mar 6, 8:50am
Pleased it turned out well :)It is quite difficult to stop at one piece...

I have made a ginger variation too, putting 1 tsp of ground ginger into the cooking mix at the beginning, and adding half a packet of chopped Tasti crystallized ginger along with the white chocolate at the end.

elliehen, Mar 6, 9:05am
This is a no-beat never-fail recipe with a secret ingredient.Whittaker's white chocolate, resulting in a creamy fudge.

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate broken up

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Store in the fridge

we_egg, Mar 6, 7:16pm
that sounds yum ellie.might just have to jump out of bed and make some.but need to pop to the shop first and get the chocolate.:o)

knowsley, Mar 6, 8:23pm
Thanks Ellie, I'll give that one a go. :)

we_egg, Mar 7, 7:53am
as I said. I jumped out of bed, showered and zipped to the 4square.Came home and made the fudge (exact instructions)let it sit in the fridge for a good 3 hours and my godddd to die for scrummy.
DO NOT EAT IF WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT.!.:o)

elliehen, Mar 7, 8:50am
Pleased it turned out well :)It is quite difficult to stop at one piece.

I have made a ginger variation too, putting 1 tsp of ground ginger into the cooking mix at the beginning, and adding half a packet of chopped Tasti crystallized ginger along with the white chocolate at the end.

crystalmoon, Mar 10, 2:02am
HHHmmmmmmmmI know I shouldnt even think of trying this recipe,but I'm mentally going throught he pantry checking what I have in there.AAahhhh its so dangerous.Might just make one batch to share after doing round the bays.wont feel so bad then.If I manage to wait till after ;)

elliehen, Mar 10, 2:18am
crystalmoon...not wishing to tempt you further, but I'm trying out a creamy Maple-Walnut variation too, with Pure Maple syrup and new season's walnuts.