Ideas for salads that can be made at least a day

Page 1 / 2
ashanti, Mar 4, 8:53am
At least a day in advance please? Having a spit roast lamb for a birthday and would like to do majority of things at least the day before, even better two days before and put them in our walk in chiller, which can run at 1 degrees. any help appreciated.

lilyfield, Mar 4, 9:54am
Potatoe-Rice-Pasta-beans fresh and pulses- chickpeas- beetroot,any cooked vegies.- eggs in mayo-marinated cooked cold beef-

pickles7, Mar 4, 10:13am
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing....Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

this improves on keeping a few days.

pickles7, Mar 4, 10:14am
Coleslaw 14 day dressing

1 & 1/4 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 & 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 & 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes
Cool & poor over coleslaw, chill.
Remove with tongs however much coleslaw, you need.

juliewn, Mar 4, 1:48pm
These are excellent - and you can make them up to a week or two ahead of time:

Marinated Carrot Salad:

Peel and slice a kilo of carrots into rings or sticks.
Steam or boil till just tender and drain well.

While they are cooking, finely slice 2 medium sized, or one large, onion.

Place in a bowl: 3/4 cup white vinegar - or white wine vinegar, or spiced vinegar.
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup of salad oil (I use canola)
1 small tin (about 450gms) of tomato soup (not sauce, puree or pulp)
1 cup sugar
Beat these together well until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients have blended well.
Taste and season to your taste.

Place the carrots and sliced onions in layers into large jars and pour the dressing over.

Cover and store in your fridge. This keeps up to 2 weeks - and if the carrots are all used during this time, cook more to add to the dressing.

This recipe gives 2 well filled Agee preserving jars.

You can double or triple, etc..the recipe if needed.

It tastes delicious - and is great to have in the fridge over summer, for adding to meals and bbq's on hot days when the last thing you want to do is cook!

juliewn, Mar 4, 1:49pm
Tangy Cucumber Salad:

Place in a saucepan and heat slowly until the sugar is dissolved:

1 cup white vinegar (or white wine or spiced vinegar),
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt.

While that's heating, peel (or leave peel on) and score 2 telegraph cucumbers or 4 short green cucumbers.
Use a fork to score the skins, so a pattern is formed.
I sometimes peel half the skin off lengthwise, in strips, so the skin left on and the scoring gives an attractive look.

Slice the cucumbers as thick as you want them - I slice them so they're about .5mm thick.
Pile the slices into jars and once the dressing is ready and is still hot, pour that over the cucumbers carefully.

Leave the lid off until the contents of the jars have cooled, then place the lid on and chill till needed.

This keeps for 4-5 days in the fridge - and is also an excellent addition to summer meals and barbecues, when it's in the fridge ready to use anytime you want.

I've sometimes added tiny florets of cauliflower, sliced capsicums, sliced courgette's etc.. too, so a bigger range of veges is included.

rainrain1, Mar 4, 6:34pm
you can make coleslaw a day or two ahead, just don't add the dressing until the day

trading_gibsons, Mar 4, 6:37pm
Rice salad, bean salad, potato salad &.......

Tabouli
2 cups cracked wheat (bulghur)
2 cups very hot water
1 cucumber, chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, (8) sliced
1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
2 cups fresh chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

Dressing:

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

Soak the cracked wheat in the hot water until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. When it's ready, drain any excess water, if necessary, and squeeze dry.

Meantime, prepare the vegetables for the salad and mix the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.

Stir the prepared bulghur, other salad ingredients, and dressing together in a medium bowl.

Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes about 8 cups, 12 to 16 servings.

pickles7, Mar 4, 7:34pm
I made Chinese pickled vegetables, in a similar way. I found it better to use fresh vinegar dressing each time, I put sliced fresh ginger in as well.

pickles7, Mar 4, 7:54pm
Chinese pickled vegetables make a nice salad, you can make them well in advance. I par boiled my veges, and used something like the 14 day coleslaw dressing. no oil. You could toss in a very little oil to gloss up the salad at serving time.

player_smurf, Mar 4, 9:04pm
x1
My broccoli salad can be made the day before....can post recipe if you keen.?

ashanti, Mar 4, 9:43pm
Thanks so much for all the great ideas! They sound easy and delicious.
Yes please I would love the Broccoli salad recipe

player_smurf, Mar 5, 1:38am
Broccoli Salad...have been making this for over 25 years and its always a winner!2 heads raw broccoli chopped into bite size pieces, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1/2cup raisins" Dressing: 1 cup of dressing (i use WW mayo!) 1 tbsp vinegar, 1/4 sugar.I often add other 'bits' to the salad such as pineapple pieces chopped, nuts, celery or whatever you have on hand. Enjoy.

alebix, Mar 5, 3:04am
potatoe salad
rice salad
tomato, cucumber, onion salad (slice thinly and marinate in white vinegar and sugar)
cauliflower salad

ashanti, Mar 5, 5:06am
Thanks playersmurf, that sounds nice.

ashanti, Mar 5, 8:53am
At least a day in advance please! Having a spit roast lamb for a birthday and would like to do majority of things at least the day before, even better two days before and put them in our walk in chiller, which can run at 1 degrees. any help appreciated.

pickles7, Mar 5, 10:13am
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing.Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

this improves on keeping a few days.

juliewn, Mar 5, 1:48pm
These are excellent - and you can make them up to a week or two ahead of time:

Marinated Carrot Salad:

Peel and slice a kilo of carrots into rings or sticks.
Steam or boil till just tender and drain well.

While they are cooking, finely slice 2 medium sized, or one large, onion.

Place in a bowl: 3/4 cup white vinegar - or white wine vinegar, or spiced vinegar.
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup of salad oil (I use canola)
1 small tin (about 450gms) of tomato soup (not sauce, puree or pulp)
1 cup sugar
Beat these together well until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients have blended well.
Taste and season to your taste.

Place the carrots and sliced onions in layers into large jars and pour the dressing over.

Cover and store in your fridge. This keeps up to 2 weeks - and if the carrots are all used during this time, cook more to add to the dressing.

This recipe gives 2 well filled Agee preserving jars.

You can double or triple, etc.the recipe if needed.

It tastes delicious - and is great to have in the fridge over summer, for adding to meals and bbq's on hot days when the last thing you want to do is cook!

juliewn, Mar 5, 1:49pm
Tangy Cucumber Salad:

Place in a saucepan and heat slowly until the sugar is dissolved:

1 cup white vinegar (or white wine or spiced vinegar),
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt.

While that's heating, peel (or leave peel on) and score 2 telegraph cucumbers or 4 short green cucumbers.
Use a fork to score the skins, so a pattern is formed.
I sometimes peel half the skin off lengthwise, in strips, so the skin left on and the scoring gives an attractive look.

Slice the cucumbers as thick as you want them - I slice them so they're about .5mm thick.
Pile the slices into jars and once the dressing is ready and is still hot, pour that over the cucumbers carefully.

Leave the lid off until the contents of the jars have cooled, then place the lid on and chill till needed.

This keeps for 4-5 days in the fridge - and is also an excellent addition to summer meals and barbecues, when it's in the fridge ready to use anytime you want.

I've sometimes added tiny florets of cauliflower, sliced capsicums, sliced courgette's etc. too, so a bigger range of veges is included.

rainrain1, Mar 5, 6:34pm
you can make coleslaw a day or two ahead, just don't add the dressing until the day

trading_gibsons, Mar 5, 6:37pm
Rice salad, bean salad, potato salad &.

Tabouli
2 cups cracked wheat (bulghur)
2 cups very hot water
1 cucumber, chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, (8) sliced
1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
2 cups fresh chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

Dressing:

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

Soak the cracked wheat in the hot water until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. When it's ready, drain any excess water, if necessary, and squeeze dry.

Meantime, prepare the vegetables for the salad and mix the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.

Stir the prepared bulghur, other salad ingredients, and dressing together in a medium bowl.

Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes about 8 cups, 12 to 16 servings.

player_smurf, Mar 5, 9:04pm
My broccoli salad can be made the day before.can post recipe if you keen.!

player_smurf, Mar 6, 1:38am
Broccoli Salad.have been making this for over 25 years and its always a winner!2 heads raw broccoli chopped into bite size pieces, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1/2cup raisins" Dressing: 1 cup of dressing (i use WW mayo!) 1 tbsp vinegar, 1/4 sugar.I often add other 'bits' to the salad such as pineapple pieces chopped, nuts, celery or whatever you have on hand. Enjoy.

ashanti, Mar 22, 9:13pm
Found this yummy one too
* 1 pound julienned carrots
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 1/3 cup water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

Directions

1. In a saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a serving dish. Combine remaining ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Pour over carrots; cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.

I only used a few tablespoons of oil and left out the oregano, very tasty.

obsidianwings, Mar 22, 11:53pm
Any potato, kumara or pasta salads are good bets