37yrs Married- special home baked dinner ideas plz

courtney2004, Mar 3, 11:17pm
Going to spoil my parents. They have been married for 37yrs this weekend. Want to make a home baked meal for them as I know they don't want to go out due to the earthquakes etc but thought a nice meal for them would be a touch of specialness. Ideas please

chynna2, Mar 3, 11:36pm
What a lovely idea....

How about as a starter a prawn and/or shrimp cocktail?Or if you want to go "all out" you could get a crayfish.

If you choose to stay with the seafood theme then oven baked pieces of snapper with a nice cheesy crumb topping (I'll post the recipe tomorrow if you ask for it), and freshly cooked vegetables.

Then a special dessert of whatever they like (maybe creme brulee or black forest gateau).

I did a similiar meal for my 15th wedding anniversary last year, and bought a nice bottle of bubbly too.Then I decorated the room with banners and streamers, tea light candles on the table, and a photo of us both in a little frame.

It is really great doing it at home.Our yummy meal cost 1/2 what it would have in a restaurant, and we didn't have to worry about driving home after drinking either!!

chynna2, Mar 3, 11:38pm
Also, forgot to mention.I had my sons (11 and 13 years old) taking our orders and serving the food/drink as if it was a restaurant, so they played a part in it too!Perhaps if you are there with any grandchildren they could help in this way?!

buzzy110, Mar 4, 12:05am
How about an entree of pan fried duck breast served on a couple of steamed bok choy leaves and tamari sauce?

The main could be Beef Wellington with mushroom sauce. And as you will have your oven on anyway you could do oven roasted green beans (Jamie Oliver - will post if wanted) and baked butternut. Serve with some lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Dessert - Whatever they love best. I'd never say no to a slice of lemon tart.

ribzuba, Mar 4, 12:32am
beef wellington would be cute..i did one for a wedding main a couple of months ago and we topped each pastry with heart cut outs!

lythande1, Mar 4, 12:50am
No. How about you ask them what their favourite meal would be? Everyones taste is different.

cookessentials, Mar 4, 1:04am
That is very thoughtful courtenay. I would find out their likes and dislikes first and then go from there.

courtney2004, Mar 4, 1:24am
Thanks. I want to do it as a surpise! I am still at home so I know that dad likes his meat and mum likes lighter meals! I thought it could be a lovely dinner outside. I am heading off very soon to get a few needed items. I was thinking about prehaps a roast with all the trimmings ??? and prehaps a gluten free pudding as mum is gluten free most of the time.

I am thinking about getting mum and dad a platter of yummy stuff to have with a glass of wine before tea but again I will think about that!

Thanks everyone for your support I really want to let them celebrate it although its sort of lost a little with the earthquake etc but its still a special weekend for them both.

juliewn, Mar 4, 3:05am
They'll love you doing this.. even more special to celebrate with everything that's happening.. have the best time.. :-)

cookessentials, Mar 4, 3:56am
If your mum likes lighter meals, you could always do a lovely roast fillet of beef and serve it with lighter vegetables rather than the heavier roast vege, but I am sure what ever you make, they will love. Wish them a happy anniversary from us.

motorbo, Mar 4, 4:53am
what did they love when they were younger and havent had for years? i reckon getting retro is the idea, e.g in our house the speical meal as kids was a roast and my mum was the queen of choccy eclairs

courtney2004, Mar 4, 11:17pm
Going to spoil my parents. They have been married for 37yrs this weekend. Want to make a home baked meal for them as I know they don't want to go out due to the earthquakes etc but thought a nice meal for them would be a touch of specialness. Ideas please

chynna2, Mar 4, 11:36pm
What a lovely idea.

How about as a starter a prawn and/or shrimp cocktail!Or if you want to go "all out" you could get a crayfish.

If you choose to stay with the seafood theme then oven baked pieces of snapper with a nice cheesy crumb topping (I'll post the recipe tomorrow if you ask for it), and freshly cooked vegetables.

Then a special dessert of whatever they like (maybe creme brulee or black forest gateau).

I did a similiar meal for my 15th wedding anniversary last year, and bought a nice bottle of bubbly too.Then I decorated the room with banners and streamers, tea light candles on the table, and a photo of us both in a little frame.

It is really great doing it at home.Our yummy meal cost 1/2 what it would have in a restaurant, and we didn't have to worry about driving home after drinking either!

chynna2, Mar 4, 11:38pm
Also, forgot to mention.I had my sons (11 and 13 years old) taking our orders and serving the food/drink as if it was a restaurant, so they played a part in it too!Perhaps if you are there with any grandchildren they could help in this way!!

buzzy110, Mar 5, 12:05am
How about an entree of pan fried duck breast served on a couple of steamed bok choy leaves and tamari sauce!

The main could be Beef Wellington with mushroom sauce. And as you will have your oven on anyway you could do oven roasted green beans (Jamie Oliver - will post if wanted) and baked butternut. Serve with some lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Dessert - Whatever they love best. I'd never say no to a slice of lemon tart.

ribzuba, Mar 5, 12:32am
beef wellington would be cute.i did one for a wedding main a couple of months ago and we topped each pastry with heart cut outs!

lythande1, Mar 5, 12:50am
No. How about you ask them what their favourite meal would be! Everyones taste is different.

courtney2004, Mar 5, 1:24am
Thanks. I want to do it as a surpise! I am still at home so I know that dad likes his meat and mum likes lighter meals! I thought it could be a lovely dinner outside. I am heading off very soon to get a few needed items. I was thinking about prehaps a roast with all the trimmings ! and prehaps a gluten free pudding as mum is gluten free most of the time.

I am thinking about getting mum and dad a platter of yummy stuff to have with a glass of wine before tea but again I will think about that!

Thanks everyone for your support I really want to let them celebrate it although its sort of lost a little with the earthquake etc but its still a special weekend for them both.

juliewn, Mar 5, 3:05am
They'll love you doing this. even more special to celebrate with everything that's happening. have the best time. :-)

motorbo, Mar 5, 4:53am
what did they love when they were younger and havent had for years! i reckon getting retro is the idea, e.g in our house the speical meal as kids was a roast and my mum was the queen of choccy eclairs