1 cup of butter...

frag, Mar 3, 9:06am
How much would this be in grams or ounces please?

245sam, Mar 3, 9:15am
frag, 1 cup butter = 250g.:-))

accroul, Mar 3, 6:35pm
Actually it's less than that.
1cup has a LIQUID (water) capacity of 250ml, that is not to say that everything that can fit into a cup also weighs 250g. Fats are lighter than water.
Depending on the cup size, 1 US cup of butter would weigh approx 226.8g and metric cup (probably what we have here) 239.65g.

245sam, Mar 3, 8:09pm
frag, 1 cup butter DOES weigh 250g !!!!!

accroul, the advice I gave frag at #2 was NOT based on the fact that "1cup has a LIQUID (water) capacity of 250ml that is not to say that everything that can fit into a cup also weighs 250g. Fats are lighter than water. " - it was based on ACTUAL FACT - because I am lucky to have a family-treasured recipe of my now late MIL's for gingernuts and that recipe states all the main ingredient quantities in cups, including butter, many years ago in order to use that recipe I used a standard N.Z. metric measuring cup and filled that cup with butter, then weighed the measured 1 cup butter and I can absolutely assure all that 1 N.Z. standard metric measuring cup butter DOES weigh 250g.
:-))

accroul, Mar 3, 8:36pm
It goes to show that knowbody should ever listen to a thing that accroul ever posts. She has no bluddy idea what she prattles on about.Half the time I even wonder if she's at home.

tw1nkle, Mar 3, 8:39pm
when a recipe states '1 c of butter' i use 225gms. HTH

elliehen, Mar 3, 9:27pm
Don't be so hard on yourself ;)))))

Edited to add:It would be so much easier if butter came in the convenient little sticks that it does in the US - 4 sticks to the 'pound' (or 500gram block).

pickles7, Mar 3, 10:16pm

accroul, Mar 3, 10:44pm
lol elliehen - thanks.
It would be easier still if the US used metric measurements!

pickles7, Mar 3, 10:55pm
lol , yes

juliewn, Mar 4, 3:38am
Maybe read the post again.. in no way is it nasty.... and it's come from one of the most generous and helpful people who post in and are part of Trademe's Recipe messageboard..

duckmoon, Mar 4, 4:15am
if you have been wondering how to measure that - if you can't do a conversion...
will a litre/4 cup jug with 3 cups of water, and start adding small cube of butter, until the water raise to the 4 cup mark...

Sorry, i think that it is a nauff measurement, when grams is sooo much easier... but a friend did tell me how to work it out

frag, Mar 4, 9:06am
How much would this be in grams or ounces please!

accroul, Mar 4, 6:35pm
Actually it's less than that.
1cup has a LIQUID (water) capacity of 250ml, that is not to say that everything that can fit into a cup also weighs 250g. Fats are lighter than water.
Depending on the cup size, 1 US cup of butter would weigh approx 226.8g and metric cup (probably what we have here) 239.65g.

245sam, Mar 4, 8:09pm
frag, 1 cup butter DOES weigh 250g !

accroul, the advice I gave frag at #2 was NOT based on any facts or belief such as "1cup has a LIQUID (water) capacity of 250ml that is not to say that everything that can fit into a cup also weighs 250g. Fats are lighter than water. " - it was based on ACTUAL FACT - because I am lucky to have a family-treasured recipe of my now late MIL's for gingernuts and that recipe states all the main ingredient quantities in cups, including butter, many years ago in order to use that recipe I used a standard N.Z. metric measuring cup and filled that cup with butter, then weighed the measured 1 cup butter and I can absolutely assure all that 1 N.Z. standard metric measuring cup of butter DOES weigh 250g.
:-))

accroul, Mar 4, 8:36pm
It goes to show that knowbody should ever listen to a thing that accroul ever posts. She has no bluddy idea what she prattles on about.Half the time I even wonder if she's at home.

It all depends on where the recipe came from. If it's an American recipe then 1 METRIC cup of butter is about 20g/25g too much.

elliehen, Mar 4, 9:27pm
Don't be so hard on yourself ;)))))

Edited to add:It would be so much easier if butter came in the convenient little sticks that it does in the US - 4 sticks to the 'pound' (or 500gram block).

pickles7, Mar 4, 10:16pm
nasty

accroul, Mar 4, 10:44pm
pickles & elliehen - thanks.
Lol, It would be easier still if the US used metric measurements!

juliewn, Mar 5, 3:38am
Maybe read the post again. in no way is it nasty. and it's come from one of the most generous and helpful people who post in and are part of Trademe's Recipe messageboard.

duckmoon, Mar 5, 4:15am
if you have been wondering how to measure that - if you can't do a conversion.
will a litre/4 cup jug with 3 cups of water, and start adding small cube of butter, until the water raise to the 4 cup mark.

Sorry, i think that it is a nauff measurement, when grams is sooo much easier. but a friend did tell me how to work it out