Mock Cream

anabelles, Mar 3, 2:52am
Remember the old fashioned Mock cream made in the 40's & 50's for sponge cake filling, that was made from, I think, 3 equal ingredients, Butter, sugar and? Then beaten to death!
Please has anyone got a recipe?

kinna54, Mar 3, 3:12am
I recall 1 my mum made with cornflour and milk, she boiled the cornflour and milk together for a few mins, cooled it and then added it into the well creamed butter and sugar?
Sorry I can't be exact on quantities, but think it was something like 2TBsps butter, 2 TBSPS sugar, creamed together.
1/1/2 tsps cornflour added to 1/2 cup milk???
hopefully this may ring a bell and someone else out there will know the exact quantities. good luck.

anabelles, Mar 3, 3:24am
Thanks but it didn't have cornflour, just butter and sugar andwas it water or milk or what.

beaker59, Mar 3, 3:26am
egg whites perhaps

Edit to add just use real cream its heaps better.

harrislucinda, Mar 3, 3:28am
mineis2ozofbutter ,icingsugar,2tlbspmilkand2 tlbsp ofboilingwatercreambutterandsugarthen addwaterandmilkbeatuntilthick

elliehen, Mar 3, 3:31am
This looks like a good recipe...must try it.Mock cream is better than real cream for Ginger Kisses.2 oz icing sugar?

karenz, Mar 3, 3:38am
Wasn't it icing mix and butter whipped up until it was creamy?

kinna54, Mar 3, 4:05am
There was another 1 with boiling water in equal quantities to the butter and sugar, just all beaten together. You can add flavoured essence or spice as in ginger for ginger kisses.

pickles7, Mar 3, 4:42am
################mock cream.
Probably cream two Napoleon cakes. I would divide it into four lots and make sure before starting..Thicken 500 mils of milk, 250 grams of sugar with 50 grams of cornflour.cool, stir as it is cooling to avoid a skin. Cream 1 pkt of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, add cool custard a little at a time. May even add more custard, taste and see. The flavour is very similar.
You could reduce the amounts for this recipe. It has a better shelf life, than the butter, sugar, water, mock cream.

anabelles, Mar 3, 4:57am
Thanks all. I think elliehen & kinna have got it.

anabelles, Mar 4, 2:52am
Remember the old fashioned Mock cream made in the 40's & 50's for sponge cake filling, that was made from, I think, 3 equal ingredients, Butter, sugar and! Then beaten to death!
Please has anyone got a recipe!

kinna54, Mar 4, 3:12am
I recall 1 my mum made with cornflour and milk, she boiled the cornflour and milk together for a few mins, cooled it and then added it into the well creamed butter and sugar!
Sorry I can't be exact on quantities, but think it was something like 2TBsps butter, 2 TBSPS sugar, creamed together.
1/1/2 tsps cornflour added to 1/2 cup milk!
hopefully this may ring a bell and someone else out there will know the exact quantities. good luck.

anabelles, Mar 4, 3:24am
Thanks but it didn't have cornflour, just butter and sugar andwas it water or milk or what.

elliehen, Mar 4, 3:31am
This looks like a good recipe.must try it.Mock cream is better than real cream for Ginger Kisses.2 oz icing sugar!

karenz, Mar 4, 3:38am
Wasn't it icing mix and butter whipped up until it was creamy!

pickles7, Mar 4, 4:42am
################mock cream.
Probably cream two Napoleon cakes. I would divide it into four lots and make sure before starting.Thicken 500 mils of milk, 250 grams of sugar with 50 grams of cornflour.cool, stir as it is cooling to avoid a skin. Cream 1 pkt of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, add cool custard a little at a time. May even add more custard, taste and see. The flavour is very similar.
You could reduce the amounts for this recipe. It has a better shelf life, than the butter, sugar, water, mock cream.