Fail Proof Cookies/biscuits??

chrisandkarla, Mar 2, 10:34pm
Hi There im just wanting a recipe for cookies that wont fail & go flat like pancakes i just cant seem to get any biscuits right lately!
TIA

kinna54, Mar 2, 11:17pm
try these: best choc chip bics around:

Vanilla Biscuits

125g butter
125g sugar
Vanilla essence (few drops)
1 egg
225g flour
1tsp baking powder
50g sultanas ( replace with choc chips if desired)

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence together, add egg, then mix in dry ingredients.
Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls.
Put onto greased trays and flatten with a fork .
{Raynor tip, I flatten biscuits using a rounded bottom glass, lightly dusted in flour. It makes the
biscuits a more even shape: no cracked edges.}

Bake 15-20 mins at 190 deg C.

kinna54, Mar 2, 11:25pm
Shrewsbury Biscuits*(adapted for making in the kitchen whizz)* If you don't have a whizz, just cream the butter and sugar, add egg and lemon rind, then fold in thedry ingredients.

125g butter softened (or margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TBSP grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam (to fill if desired)

Place butter and sugar in the whizz and cream together.
Add egg and lemon rind and whizz again to combine.
Add sifted flour and baking powder, using the machine on pulsewhile the mixture is combining.
Turn onto a floured board, kneadlightly and roll out to about 4mm thickness
Note: roll out part of the mix at a time, as it’s much easier to handle., and over handling can toughen the mixture.
Cut out desired shapes withcookie cutters, or use a round glaass, and make holes in the centre of every 2nd biccie, if you wish to sandwich them together.

Bake on greased oven trays at 180 deg. for 10-15mins.
When cold biscuits can either be sandwiched together with raspberry jam, with the top biscuit dusted with sifted icing sugar, or biscuits can be left single and dusted with sifted icing sugar. (my wee granddaughter can make these, and even uses a gingerbread man cutter, they are awesome bics.)

dollmakernz, Mar 2, 11:37pm
I'm just about to make these and they are really nice, only limitation is your imagination!
Many Biscuits
500g butter
1½ c sugar
¼c condensed milk
4c flour
4tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar and condensed milk.
Add sifted dry ingredients and blend in.
Divide into 4 or more portions as desired.

Variations:
(a) Chocolate Chippies: Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and chocolate
chips.
(b) Cherry: Add ½ teaspoon vanilla and or almond essence top with cherry.
(c) Almond: Add 1 teaspoon almond essence top with almond.
(d) Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon or spice and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
(e) Ginger: Add 1 teaspoon lemon essence, 1 teaspoon ginger and, chopped
crystallized ginger.

Roll in balls place on trays and flatten or press with fork.
Bake.

Cooking Temp: 180°C 15 minutes

gardie, Mar 3, 3:14am
If they are going flat, I'd try adding a little extra flour - not too much mind.I find that if the mixture is too soft, it does tend to spread a little bit too much.Also, don't flatten them too much before baking - some recipes can just be pressed slightly.

kinna54, Mar 3, 11:17pm
try these: best choc chip bics around:

Vanilla Biscuits

125g butter
125g sugar
Vanilla essence (few drops)
1 egg
225g flour
1tsp baking powder
50g sultanas ( replace with choc chips if desired)

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence together, add egg, then mix in dry ingredients.
Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls.
Put onto greased trays and flatten with a fork .
{tip, I flatten biscuits using a rounded bottom glass, lightly dusted in flour. It makes the biscuits a more even shape: no cracked edges.}

Bake 15-20 mins at 190 deg C.

kinna54, Mar 3, 11:25pm
Shrewsbury Biscuits*(adapted for making in the kitchen whizz)* If you don't have a whizz, just cream the butter and sugar, add egg and lemon rind, then fold in thedry ingredients.

125g butter softened (or margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TBSP grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam (to fill if desired)

Place butter and sugar in the whizz and cream together.
Add egg and lemon rind and whizz again to combine.
Add sifted flour and baking powder, using the machine on pulsewhile the mixture is combining.
Turn onto a floured board, kneadlightly and roll out to about 4mm thickness
Note: roll out part of the mix at a time, as it’s much easier to handle., and over handling can toughen the mixture.
Cut out desired shapes withcookie cutters, or use a round glass, and make holes in the centre of every 2nd biccie, if you wish to sandwich them together.

Bake on greased oven trays at 180 deg. for 10-15mins.
When cold biscuits can either be sandwiched together with raspberry jam, with the top biscuit dusted with sifted icing sugar, or biscuits can be left single and dusted with sifted icing sugar. (my wee granddaughter can make these, and even uses a gingerbread man cutter, they are awesome bics.)

dollmakernz, Mar 3, 11:37pm
I'm just about to make these and they are really nice, only limitation is your imagination!
Many Biscuits
500g butter
1½ c sugar
¼c condensed milk
4c flour
4tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar and condensed milk.
Add sifted dry ingredients and blend in.
Divide into 4 or more portions as desired.

Variations:
(a) Chocolate Chippies: Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and chocolate
chips.
(b) Cherry: Add ½ teaspoon vanilla and or almond essence top with cherry.
(c) Almond: Add 1 teaspoon almond essence top with almond.
(d) Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon or spice and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
(e) Ginger: Add 1 teaspoon lemon essence, 1 teaspoon ginger and, chopped
crystallized ginger.

Roll in balls place on trays and flatten or press with fork.
Bake.

Cooking Temp: 180°C 15 minutes

gardie, Mar 4, 3:14am
If they are going flat, I'd try adding a little extra flour - not too much mind.I find that if the mixture is too soft, it does tend to spread a little bit too much.Also, don't flatten them too much before baking - some recipes can just be pressed slightly.

bev00, Mar 2, 7:45am
courtesy of Macandrosie-
Basic Biscuit Recipe
500gr butter
5 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
8 tsp bp
½ tin condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips or raisins
2 tsp vanilla
Soften the butter then cream with the condensed milk and sugar. Add flour b.p choc chips and or raisins. Bake at 180°C for about 10 mins.

Bran Biscuits
500gr butter
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups bran
2 eggs
1 cup coconut
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1-2 tabs boiling water & pinch of salt. Soften butter cream with sugar. Add eggs beat. Add dry ingredients plus b.s and water. Roll into 3-4 logs and refrigerate till firm. Slice thinly and bake at 180°C for about 10 mins. Nice buttered.
Tararua Biscuits

250 gr butter
1½ cups brown sugar
½ tin condensed milk
2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup coconut
2 tsp bp
1 cup currants
Mix together dry ingredients. Melt butter, sugar & cond milk & add to the dry mix. Add fruit. Place onto 2 trays lined with baking paper & roll out over the tray. Score through to form biscuit shape. Bake at 160°C for about 15 mins. Remove from oven cut right through then turn biscuits over on tray & bake for another 1-2 mins to harden. Cool. Nice buttered

245sam, Mar 2, 6:35am
Something here for those wanting/needing to fill the bickie tins!:-))

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 6:46am
Chill the biscuits before you put them into bake. It solidifies the fat molecules and cuts down on the spreading!