Kuma-kuma

sandals, Mar 1, 2:51am
x1
I have been given a kuma-kuma ( I had never heard of such a thing before) looks like a huge ridged marrow type vegetable. Any ideas on what to do with it? Bake, roast??? I haven't a clue...

beaker59, Mar 1, 3:11am
theres lots of ways to cook one (I call it Kamo kamo by the way but theres other ways to say and spell it). A very nice vegetable creamier and firmer than a zuchinni and with a nicer flavour IMO but otherwise much the same.

Easiest way is to cut into slices then saute lightly in butter though I have had it in boil up, steamed, casseroles, roasted(lightly), and also grated and made into fritters.

sandals, Mar 1, 3:17am
Thanks so much for that beaker59 some great ideas there.

tigerlilly16, Mar 1, 4:47am
kuma kuma kuma kuma kuma Chameleon...........

Sorry I have no idea either :P

motorbo, Mar 1, 4:59am
oh the flavour is so delicate and sweet it seems wrong to cook kamo kamo anyother way but thickly sliced, do not peel or de seed you eat it all, then in fry pan with enough water and butter and salt and pepper, so youare getting it to steam cook and then, fry gently a tiny bit in the butter yummmmm

delate, Mar 1, 7:38am
My mother-in-law uses hers for pickle...YUM! We just include it in our boil ups. Goodluck!

moetus, Mar 1, 8:34am
Hi Delate, I have been looking for a Kumi Kumi pickle recipe ,you dont think you could get recipe of mother-in -law do you ,it is yummy.Thanking you .Maureen.

lissy73, Mar 1, 7:56pm
I usually steam it, absolutely love the flavour, almost buttery and nutty.
I made a relish using some the other day. It was a cucumber relish, but I used a combination of marrow, cucumber and kamo kamo

crystalmoon, Mar 2, 1:43am
hehe we call it kamokamo too,so many different names and spelling.We always added ours to boil up and also in pickle,cant find my mums one but heres one from trade me.You could probably chopp it up wit skin and seeds and add to just about any pickle recipe.Here's one I found..
Off l/h message board. (brianmac)You can substituate the Chokos for KamoKamo.
Check Google too.

3kg (6lb) chokos (after peeling)
* 1kg (2lb) onions
* 1 cup cooking salt
* water
* 1 ½ litres (3 pints) dark malt vinegar
* 5 tablespoons plain flour
* 1 ½ level tablespoons curry powder
* 1 tablespoon turmeric
* 1 tablespoon dried mustard
* 1 kg (2lb) brown sugar

Cut up the chokos and onions, add the salt, then cover with cold water. Next day scoop off the excess water, then boil the choko and onion mixture for 15 minutes.

In a large pot mix together the plain flour (mixed to a paste with a little of the vinegar first), then the rest of the vinegar, curry powder, turmeric and mustard.

Bring to the boil, stirring. Add 1kg (2lb) brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the cooked chokos and onions to the vinegar mixture and bring back to the boil. Cook 10 minutes more, stirring or until desired consistency is reached.

Quotejessie981 (5 )7:36 pm, Sat 15 Jan #3

sandals, Mar 2, 2:51am
I have been given a kuma-kuma ( I had never heard of such a thing before) looks like a huge ridged marrow type vegetable. Any ideas on what to do with it! Bake, roast! I haven't a clue.

tigerlilly16, Mar 2, 4:47am
kuma kuma kuma kuma kuma Chameleon.

Sorry I have no idea either :P

delate, Mar 2, 7:38am
My mother-in-law uses hers for pickle.YUM! We just include it in our boil ups. Goodluck!

crystalmoon, Mar 3, 1:43am
hehe we call it kamokamo too,so many different names and spelling.We always added ours to boil up and also in pickle,cant find my mums one but heres one from trade me.You could probably chopp it up wit skin and seeds and add to just about any pickle recipe.Here's one I found.
Off l/h message board. (brianmac)You can substituate the Chokos for KamoKamo.
Check Google too.

3kg (6lb) chokos (after peeling)
* 1kg (2lb) onions
* 1 cup cooking salt
* water
* 1 ½ litres (3 pints) dark malt vinegar
* 5 tablespoons plain flour
* 1 ½ level tablespoons curry powder
* 1 tablespoon turmeric
* 1 tablespoon dried mustard
* 1 kg (2lb) brown sugar

Cut up the chokos and onions, add the salt, then cover with cold water. Next day scoop off the excess water, then boil the choko and onion mixture for 15 minutes.

In a large pot mix together the plain flour (mixed to a paste with a little of the vinegar first), then the rest of the vinegar, curry powder, turmeric and mustard.

Bring to the boil, stirring. Add 1kg (2lb) brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the cooked chokos and onions to the vinegar mixture and bring back to the boil. Cook 10 minutes more, stirring or until desired consistency is reached.

Quotejessie981 (5 )7:36 pm, Sat 15 Jan #3