Can I make a pie crust from hash brown mix?

papariccardo, Feb 28, 8:12am
I'm making a smoked salmon pie, and wanting to change it up. I'm thinking of grating & drying spuds, mixing with S&P, EVOO, then shaping it to the pie dish, and par baking it before putting in the filling and a hash topping. Waddaya supercooks reckon? Will it work?

Yeah yeah, I know - do it already. All 'new' recipes are trial & error, but I imagine very little is truly new.

uli, Feb 28, 8:14am
I am sure it will work - but what is EVOO?

papariccardo, Feb 28, 8:18am
Eh? Surely not!

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, bella uli.

uli, Mar 1, 8:10am
Ah well - nice of you to enlighten me - even if your shortcuts are not familiar to everyone.

margyr, Mar 1, 7:25pm
i think you would probably have to mix your spud mix with some egg as well to help it bind.

accroul, Mar 1, 8:48pm
In a non-stick pan it might work well, but I've found in the past that spud has still stuck to glass even with plenty of oil. You might want to consider baking 'blind' to help the sides stay up too. Your pie sounds nice though!

vintagekitty, Mar 1, 8:54pm
lol, I read that as "can I make a pie crust from hash brownies mix"!

elliehen, Mar 1, 9:00pm
vintagekitty, that would be 'fusion' cuisine ;)

evorotorua, Mar 2, 4:02am
I imagine it would work. I have seen a rice/egg base made and then pie filling put into it. Will be interested to see how it works for you. Maybe use a non-stick pie dish though???

jbsouthland, Mar 2, 4:14am
My partner made hash browns yesterday for brunch....they were very floury ...please can anyone enlighten us on correct recipe?He is a dear and enjoys cooking more than I dobut....psst .... it is 'Vicar of Dibley' ...Latisha (sp) cooking at times..

elliehen, Mar 2, 4:24am
I've never made them, but think I have read on here that you must squeeze out the watery starch once you've grated the spuds...someone might confirm?

prawn_whiskas, Mar 2, 4:37am
Thats right they are just spud.Some grate and squeeze, shape and fry.. some grate and squeeze, and add a little bit of mashed potato, mix, shape and fry.

jbsouthland, Mar 2, 4:49am
My fault then...asI suggested grate,squeeze ( he used I'm ashamed to admita day old tea towel.. we do have a dish washer . And yes I know am so luckyhe wants to cook afterhis more than busyday job ).....I suggested asprinkling of flour and a little tinny beaten egg,S &P...wasn't right at all and he agreed...so hard when he is the one who wants to cook and experiment.I know I'm luckyhe cooks but at times I docome across as nagging or at veryleast Fussy!! Even I agree..but he does take obviousshortcuts....

uli, Mar 2, 5:45am
papariccardo - how did it turn out?

accroul, Mar 2, 8:48pm
In a non-stick pan it might work well, but I've found in the past that spud has still stuck to glass even with plenty of oil. You might want to consider baking 'blind' to help the sides stay up too. Your pie sounds nice though!

elliehen, Mar 2, 9:00pm
vintagekitty, that would be 'fusion' cuisine ;)

evorotorua, Mar 3, 4:02am
I imagine it would work. I have seen a rice/egg base made and then pie filling put into it. Will be interested to see how it works for you. Maybe use a non-stick pie dish though!

jbsouthland, Mar 3, 4:14am
My partner made hash browns yesterday for brunch.they were very floury .please can anyone enlighten us on correct recipe!He is a dear and enjoys cooking more than I dobut.psst . it is 'Vicar of Dibley' .Latisha (sp) cooking at times.

elliehen, Mar 3, 4:24am
I've never made them, but think I have read on here that you must squeeze out the watery starch once you've grated the spuds.someone might confirm!

prawn_whiskas, Mar 3, 4:37am
Thats right they are just spud.Some grate and squeeze, shape and fry. some grate and squeeze, and add a little bit of mashed potato, mix, shape and fry.

jbsouthland, Mar 3, 4:49am
My fault then.asI suggested grate,squeeze ( he used I'm ashamed to admita day old tea towel. we do have a dish washer . And yes I know am so luckyhe wants to cook afterhis more than busyday job ).I suggested asprinkling of flour and a little tinny beaten egg,S &P.wasn't right at all and he agreed.so hard when he is the one who wants to cook and experiment.I know I'm luckyhe cooks but at times I docome across as nagging or at veryleast Fussy! Even I agree.but he does take obviousshortcuts.

uli, Mar 3, 5:45am
papariccardo - how did it turn out!