''HELP'' Beetroot chutney or rellish recipes plz

frmunda, Mar 8, 5:17am
Hi guys i have loads of beetroot 2 use up, Can anyone help me? ? ? ?

bradfam, Mar 8, 5:23am
did a search on the trademe cooks site- here you go

http://trademecooks.net.nz/search. php? sid=0763c8799ed4cd5ad9
b1afcc88a2c062

cloudberry, Mar 8, 9:57am
x1
Beetroot Relish (Digby Law):
1 kg beetroot
500g onions
malt vinegar
700g sugar
1 tsp salt
1 T pickling spice tied in muslin
2 T cornflour

Roughly process beetroot and onions. Place in a large saucepan, cover with vinegar, then add the sugar, salt and spice. Boil for at least 30 minutes, until the beetroot is cooked. Discard spices. Mix cornflour with a little vinegar and stir into the relish. Bring back to the boil and cook for a few more minutes. Spoon into warmed sterilized jars and seal. Good with cold meat, or spread on brown bread and butter, or on crackers.

korbo, Mar 8, 6:55pm
mmm, sounds nice, i bought a bottle of wine vinegar in error with groceries, so will try this. thanks so much. does it have a good lemonly taste. love anything lemony... ... do you cook the beetroot first, or just peel it.

cloudberry, Mar 8, 7:08pm
Korbo, I don't peel the beetroot, I scrub the raw beetroot, chop into chunks, and then process roughly. I like there to be a bit of texture. Yes, the Julie le Clerc one is quite lemony but I prefer the Digby Law recipe - very tangy. Sometimes I eat it out of the jar with a spoon!

wasala, Mar 14, 8:37am
There's a lovely story about Julie Le Clerc in the new Next magazine!

kiwigoldie, Oct 31, 6:01pm
have you got an Edmonds cookbook? ... i use the beetroot relish in there and it is very popular.