Digby Law's Tomato Relish Recipe

sammynator, Feb 19, 1:52am
Can anyone help me out? Ive missed placed my copy of the Digby Law Pickle and Chutney Cookbook, would appreciate if someone could post the recipe here for me as I want to make it this afternoon.

thanks heaps in advance

greerg, Feb 19, 2:18am
Hope this isn't too late

2 kg large ripe tomatoes peeled and sliced, 750 grms onions peeled and sliced, salt, 12 small red chilli peppers, crushed,2 cups malt vinegar, 1 tbspn curry powder, 1&1/2 teasp mustard, 1 tbspn flour.Layer the tomatoes and onions in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave overnight.Next day drainand boil vegetables, chillis and 1 & 1/2 cups vinegar for 5 minutes.Mix remaing dry ingredients to paste with vinegar and stit into the vegetrables.Cook slowly, stirring often for 1 hour,Spoon into hot clean jars and seal.Makes about 2 litres.

sammynator, Feb 19, 2:21am
x1
@greerg No, not at all, thanks so much, was wondering what i was gonna do without it LOL. Appreciate the help. It's an awesome recipe, I make it every year. Bumper crop of Big Beef tomatoes this year, so gotta get bottling! Cheers!

sammynator, Feb 19, 2:24am
um, roughly how much salt? does it say?

greerg, Feb 19, 3:23am
No - I thought that was odd but he just says salt.Just a sprinkling I guess.

uli, Feb 19, 3:42am
How about a taste test even?

yorkie13, Feb 19, 3:49am
GREERG, cheers for that am gonna try it using yellow toms.

sammynator, Feb 19, 3:52am
Ok, thanks GreerG, i'll wing it, sorta have an idea. thanks for checking.

greerg, Feb 19, 4:03am
Bit hard to taste test when the salt goes on the night before relish is cooked Uli!It's easy enough to add more if it's not salty enough when cooked but harder to remove.Sammynator I see he uses 2 tablespoons to 2 kg tomatoes in his tomato chutney (as opposed to relish) recipe whereas I use 4 tbspns in my own tomato relish recipe (also 2kg) so maybe 3 tbspns and taste at the end?

elliehen, Feb 19, 5:41am
I make the Edmonds Tomato Relish recipe which is very similar to this one, and it has 25gm of plain salt to 12 large tomatoes & 4 onions (same reason...to draw off the excess water and drain away next day).

bams1, Feb 19, 7:34am
yep i use the edmonds one too - just made my second batch today, yummy - the kids eat it as fast as i make it!!

guest, Feb 16, 3:24am
I think you are missing the sugar in that recipe!