Does anyone have a tried and true Moussaka Recipe?

Page 1 / 4
tarshlove, Feb 18, 7:57am
Did a wee search and nothing suitable.
Can anyone help TYIA

tarshlove, Feb 18, 11:50pm
Can anyone help!

tarshlove, Feb 18, 11:50pm
Can anyone help?

davidt4, Feb 18, 11:57pm

davidt4, Feb 18, 11:57pm

rthomas80, Feb 19, 12:02am
i just cook mince with tomato flavouring and stuff, half boil sliced potatoes do a cheese sauce, put mince in dish potatoes on top then cheese sauce, breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top, my family loves this

eastie3, Feb 19, 12:11am
It's not a moussaka without eggplant,it's a mince and potato dish with cheese sauce.

eastie3, Feb 19, 12:11am
It's not a moussaka without eggplant,it's a mince and potato dish with cheese sauce.

valentino, Feb 19, 12:17am
Moussaka (Lamb & Eggplant Bake)

2 large ripe tomatoes,
1.5kg eggplant cut into 5mm slices,
1/2 c light olive oil,
1 tbsp olive oil,
2 onions finely chopped,
2 large cloves garlic crushed,
1/2 tsp ground allspice,
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon,
750g lamb mince,
2 tbsp tomato paste,
1/2 c white wine & 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.

White Sauce;
50g butter,
1/2 c plain flour,
600ml milk,
pinch ground nutmeg,
1/3 c c finely grated kefalotyri or Parmesan &
2 eggs lightly beaten.

Preheat oven 180c.
Peel skin of tomatoes (cut a cross at base, into boiling water for a minute then plunge into cold water and peel away from the cross).
Roughly chop tomatoes.
Lay eggplant slices on a tray, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes, rinse and pat dry.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in fry pan, cook eggplant in 4-5 batches for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden and soft, adding more oil if needed.
Heat light olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, allspice and cinnamon, cook another 30 seconds.
Add mince, cook 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up all lumps.
Add the tomato, tomato paste and wine, simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
Stir in Parsley and season to taste.

Meanwhile, to make white sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add flour, cook for a minute.
Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk and nutmeg.
Return to heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add 1 tbso of the cheese and stir well.
Stir in egg just before using.

Line the base of 25cm x 30cm ovenproof dish with a third of eggplant.
Spoon on half of meat and cover with a second third of eggplant.
Spoon remaining meat cover with remaining eegplant.
Spread white sauce (stir in egg first) over the top and sprinkle remaining cheese.
Bake for 1 hour then leave for 10 minutes (rest) before slicing to serve.

karenz, Feb 19, 12:23am
For a good moussake you should use lamb mince
Cook onions, and garlic if you like it, in olive oil, add the mince and cook until browned, add a tin of crushed tomatoes and , add salt and a pinch of nutmeg ,simmer until it is reduced.
Slice eggplant, sprinkle with salt and leave for a few minutes, wipe off the salt and gently pan fry in oilive oil until slightly soft
Make a white sauce, melt butter, stir in flour, gently add milk, this sauce, add a beaten egg, cook gently until it thickens, add a pinch of nutmeg to the white sauce.
Put the eggplant slices in a layer on the bottom of a casserole dish
Place the meat sauce on top of this
Pour over the white sauce
Grate a mild cheese like Edam over the top
You can sprinkle a smal amount of parmeson on top of this for more flavour

lownslownz, Mar 15, 3:50am
easiest moussaka ever, i call it my cheats moussaka

600gm lamb mince
1 jar dolmio spicy pepper sauce
1 cup water
1/4 olive oil
2 medium eggplants cut into 1.5cm slices
1 cup soft white breadcrumbs
25g butter melted
1/2 shredded parmesan cheese

add mince to heated large saucepan, stirring over heat till browned, stir in sauce and water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 mins, remove, cover and set aside.

heat half oil in large frypan, add single layer of eggplant, cooking til lightly browned, turn and brown other side. remove and drain on handytowel, repeat till all eggplant done

cover base of large rectangular ovenproof dish with half eggplant slices, spread half mince mixture, repeat layers.

combine breadcrumbs, butter and parmesan and sprinkle over top mince layer

bake at 180 Cfor 30 mins till top is golden

can sub beef mince if desired

i like this recipe most cause i dont like white sauces or cheese sauces

bev00, Mar 14, 10:38am
love moussaka and eggplants are plentiful

cookessentials, Mar 14, 6:43pm
Agree, a traditional one uses mince. I shall post mine shortly.

visionspring, Mar 14, 8:32pm
I used this recipe the other day and it turned out fab! Be sure to watch her video too.

http://titlisbusykitchen.com/archives/moussaka

I used wine instead of grape juice.

cookessentials, Mar 14, 10:48pm
1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
coarse cooking salt
oil
2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons packaged
breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Meat layer
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1kg minced lamb
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
425g can tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
125mldry red wine
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cheese sauce layer
60g butter
70gplain flour
440mlcups milk
125mlcream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten

Sprinkle eggplant with salt; stand 30 minutes, rinse under cold water and pat dry with absorbent paper.
Heat oil in large frying pan, cook potatoes and eggplant in batches until tender, drain on absorbent paper.
Lightly grease ovenproof dish (8 cup (2 litre) capacity), sprinkle base with half the breadcrumbs. Layer half the eggplant in dish, sprinkle with a third of parmesan cheese and spoon over half the meat sauce. Add potatoes in a layer, sprinkle with another third of parmesan cheese, then spoon over remaining meat sauce, finish with a layer of eggplant.
Pour hot cheese sauce over eggplant, sprinkle with combined remaining parmesan cheese and crumbs. Bake at 180 deg C for 1 hour.
Meat sauce: Heat oil in large frying pan, add onion and garlic, cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add mince, cook, stirring, until well browned. Stir in parsley, undrained crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, oregano and cinnamon; bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Process meat sauce in several batches until fine.
Cheese sauce layer: Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour, cook for 1 minute; stir constantly. Gradually stir in milk, cream and nutmeg, stir constantly over heat until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat, stand 5 minutes, stir in cheese and egg.

richard198, Mar 14, 11:41pm
The recipe posted by valentino is the closest to a genuine recipe.
(There should be NO garlic in Mousakka)
I posted a genuine Greek Mousakka on here a month or two ago.

Here it is again:-(courtesy of Chrissa Paradissis)
2 1/2 lbs. medium size aubergines (2 large)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 lbs. minced meat
1/2 cup white wine
3 peeled and chopped tomatoes (or 1 can)
Chopped Parsley
Salt and pepper
2 heaped Tbs toasted breadcrumbs
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
Olive oil for frying. Breadcrumbs.
2 egg yolks. 1 egg.
3 cups bechamel sauce
1 cup grated cheese
pinch nutmeg.

Cut aubergines in slices 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle with salt and leave aside for 1 hour.
Saute onion with butter until soft. Add mince meat and 4 Tbs water. Cook stirring with a fork to break up mince. Add wine, tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer covered, for 45 mins. Remove from heat, add toasted breadcrumbs and the egg whites and stir well.
Rinse and wipe aubergines (paper towel). Fry them in olive oil on both sides. Grease an ovenproof dish 9 x 13 x 2 ins., sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cover the bottom with half of the aubergine slices. Spread on the meat mixture and cover with remaining aubergines.
Beat the egg yolks with the egg and stir into the bechamel sauce. Add 2/3 cup cheese and nutmeg and pour this over the aubergines, to cover the dish completely. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in a moderate oven for 45 mins. or until top is golden brown.

winnie231, Mar 14, 11:57pm
There are many variations . all 'authentic'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moussaka

richard198, Mar 15, 12:19am
You're right about there being many variations, such as "potatoes mousakka" etc. but I wouldn't rely on "wikipedia" since it is frequently incorrect!

2young1, Mar 15, 1:03am
had one last nite went down very well with whole family. very easy just cook up mince usual way with onions can of chopped tomatoes, garlic and spices etc.layer fried egg plant at bottom of dish. then mince, then half boiled sliced potatoes then mince again then top with thick cheese sauce. yum

sarahb5, Mar 15, 1:37am
I prefer mine without potatoes - just doesn't taste anything like the real thing with potatoes in it.And yes I have had the real thing, in Greece, washed down with Retsina (what was I thinking!)

richard198, Mar 15, 3:38am
Retsina is like a trick wine, eh! Smells good but s**t when you taste it!

elliehen, Mar 15, 3:55am
If valentino has garlic in his Moussaka, that's good enough for me.

And to be truly genuine shouldn't it be 'Moussaka' or μουσακάς!

richard198, Mar 15, 4:06am
If you like it with garlic that's fine. (I love garlic in general) I've been to Greece a few times and always order heaps of "Moussakka" and it never has garlic in it.

elliehen, Mar 15, 4:34am
We're both happy then.me with my garlicky Moussaka and you with your 'Moussakka' ;)

sarahb5, Mar 15, 5:04am
Blardy awful stuff - I do wish I could find Metaxa (sp) in this country though .