Quinces: What do I do with them?

frog12, Mar 7, 7:58am
I have been told by a couple of people that we have a quince tree. It's a grafted pear I think and the quince half grows better than the pear half. This year we have the most quinces ever probbly about 10. I know they can be yuck if not done properly. So any recipes would be greatly appreciated and how do I know if they are ripe? Thanks all

kalevala, Mar 7, 8:58am
Quince jelly, quince paste and placed in a bowl they will perfume a room.

jessie981, Mar 7, 8:58am
Have recipies from Aunt Dasiy for Quince Jam, Quince & tomato jam, quince chutney, quince jam & quince pickle. Which recipe would you like?

frog12, Mar 7, 8:45pm
Thats so hard they all sound like good recipes. The jam one would be great please and if you don't mind one of the pickle or chutney ones. Either one I don't mind, my partner loves that stuff. Thanks

jellabie, Mar 7, 9:06pm
How do you know when to pick them? I have a tree too, fruit is falling on the ground but I don't know if I supposed to the fallen fruit or take it from the tree.

jellabie, Mar 7, 9:12pm
never mind - I googled and got the answers

kiwigoldie, Mar 7, 9:42pm
my mum used to make a divine quince and apple crumble... she just treated the quinces like apple... they need stewing up... . and i think they need a little sugar... . then just a usual crumble topping and into the oven... . . yum...

frog12, Mar 7, 9:49pm
I'm going to google it now cause I don't know when they are ripe either!

snapit, Mar 7, 10:24pm
Another great thread from the Trademe Community Recipes forum. A great group of helpful friendly members happily sharing with the Trademe family and visitors. We invite you to join us here and not on the stack--- site these have been hijacked to.

snapit, Mar 7, 10:31pm
They are good for jelly. When they are peeled for other recipes keep the peels and cores (you can add the fruit as well) and barely cover with water cook for about 30 minutes strain them on a fine sieve or jelly bag then use cup sugar to cup of sugar boil till the set test is ok then bottle.
If you have used the fruit to make your jelly then use the fruit pulp to make the quince paste.
When they are ripe they are yellow sometimes with a bit of residual green. They do bruise like apples do when they fall.
They are not meant to be eaten raw.

lulu239, Mar 8, 12:40am
Memories of making quince jelly years ago. We used an old flour bag or pillow case. After the pulp was poured in we tied it up and hung it on the "copper stick" propped between the taps over the bath. We got told off once when we squeezed the bag, an absolute no-no. Oh, the blackberry jelly as well!

cookessentials, Mar 17, 8:14am
One of my customers who makes heaps of great relishes etc has made a quince sauce which is really spiicy with quite a kick to it. It really is delicious and I was lucky enough to get a jar of it.

donald6, Mar 17, 9:30am
We had an apple & quince crumble the other night, it was lovely. I used to make quince conserve & jelly but I'm not supposed to eat jam now unless it's sugar free. When I was expecting my first many years ago, I lived in Christchurch & craved jelly jam, couldn't get quinces or crabapples anywhere!

quazy, Mar 17, 9:46am
google quince jelly or jamtheres heaps of recipes

melinda1, Mar 18, 8:11am
HELP! Mum has quince tree that has just split in two and fruit not ready. Is there anything she can make with the fruit not quite ripe or should she store in cool place to ripen

whitehead., Nov 11, 4:53pm
to peel quince cook them whole then let them cool and peel its easy then . you should pick the ones up that fall on the ground they are then ripe